Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Just got a newsletter saying the dates for the Christmas nail art classes will be coming up soon !! Eeek ! :D can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Got about 90% of my Christmas present shopping done today :cool: :D:D:D:D:D

the last 10% I can't get until December because its food items...

I can officially relax from now until Christmas!
    I was most worried about my list and if i couldn't get most things on it in case the shops ran out or decided to not stock what i had planned - that always happens to me! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

SMJSF wrote: »

I was most worried about my list and if i couldn't get most things on it in case the shops ran out or decided to not stock what i had planned - that always happens to me! :confused:

OMG :eek: too organised! :pac:

SMJSF wrote: »

Omg ! And I thought I was organised your putting me to shame :o:p think of all the new decorations you can buy when they hit the shops because you will have all your shopping done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭Jude13

How do you, or more importantly the recipient, know what they want? Not to say my loved ones are fickle or anything, it's just that I would have no idea what to get them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Jude13 wrote: »
    How do you, or more importantly the recipient, know what they want? Not to say my loved ones are fickle or anything, it's just that I would have no idea what to get them

For adults, I go by what they are into and what there style is.
    I've been to their house, so I have an idea what style of decor they like - maybe candle sticks, frames, for example; if they have a coffee maker, you could get them capsules/pods - and maybe make a hamper out of items like that. If they are into cooking, get them a few cooking books.

For woman; what kind of jewellery they prefer, do they wear mostly silver or gold or rose?
    You can get sets of earrings, necklaces and bracelets in Argos, or get a few items similar to what you might have seen them where in the past - do they like colourful gems or beaded jewellery, do they were a certain shape gem jewellery - round cut or square cut? you can get some lovely items in the jewellery section in Debenhams, and they have regular sales too, or Dunnes Stores.

For younger people; what team do they support /what are their favorite toys, what kind of games they like playing on the xbox/wii/PS/etc.

Or if you don't know these things or you don't know the person well, maybe if your out with them, comment on an item of clothing (scarf/top/shoes) and if they say where they got there items, just get them a voucher for there, or a shopping centre voucher if you know they live close or visit to one often, or an all-for-one - safest option!

Dunno if that is of any help!

Jude13 wrote: »

Some great tips from post below. Just want to add my own preference .. hampers ! Love making them up. For instance I have access to trade shows and beauty suppliers so I will make up my mam and sister a gift basket of make up or things I know they need ( like a Box full of 100s of those little black hair grips.. They just seem to evaporate through the year :p )

For small children I also keep an eye on toys and sign up to smyths offers. Through the year nearly all brand of toys will come on offer. So it can be great to know if they are into paw patrol or nerf guns etc !

For a few people who id be unsure about. Say mutual friends or id normally do a hamper with some wine and some nice treats or biscuits. Or theme the hamper... like retro sweets or jams if that's what that person would like ! I did mention I like hampers right :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have say 10 adults to buy for, small family, the OH, daughter and two nephews.

Daughter - Changes up to a week before Santa arrives so is nerve racking.
    OH - Thoughtful pressies so need to be near the time as it changes.
    Folks - Weekend away or flights to visit. Can be done in advance
    Sibling & Wife - Weekend away. Can be done in advance
    Nephews - Clothes or a savings thing.
    Clsoe Firends - Booze, little hamper of girly goodies or something funny.

Actually I could get a bit done each month and then only have the top two to do in December. Off to celtic whiskey shop and amazon I go.

Currently listening to Christmas music! I'm a bit worried cos I have an exam on Saturday so this is relaxing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Whatever works Leahyl. Good luck with the exam :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Good luck with the exam, leahyl!

I took my Christmas lights off my mantelpiece yesterday and put a snowman decoration away. It was time! I still have a couple of things dotted around the place though.

Thanks guys! I'm kind of at the stage where I just want to get it over with now! Sick of studying!

Haha Toto Wolfcastle you're a howl with some of decorations still being up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Lying in bed with my Late Late Toy Show pjs on :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I was just thinking today that only one month from today will the 22nd of June, the day after the longest day of the year, the evenings will start getting shorter in a matter of weeks, the year is just flying by.

Hope exams are going well Leahyl!

Mr glitz organised a date night last weekend and decided to buy me a dvd and a bottle of wine to sit in and watch that weekend. He came home with "Krampus " !! Think it was his way of getting back at me for talking about Christmas all year round !

Good luck with the exam, leahyl!

I took my Christmas lights off my mantelpiece yesterday and put a snowman decoration away. It was time! I still have a couple of things dotted around the place though.

Ah toto you should have left them up. Sure we nearly half way through the year ! You'll be taking them back out again before you know it ! :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's exactly 6 months until it is only one month to Christmas!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

How very merry, Posy! :D

Let the festivities begin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Love reading this thread randomly throughout the year. I have a few bits for the parents presents bought.

I can't wait for Christmas, but the year is looking good, so i don't want to wish it away.

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Christmas FM just tweeted that they've updated the app to fix some bugs. Haven't listened in awhile. Must stick it on tomorrow to help me with the housework!

• Advertisement

Love reading this thread randomly throughout the year. I have a few bits for the parents presents bought.

I can't wait for Christmas, but the year is looking good, so i don't want to wish it away.

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.
    I've a lot of things I'm looking forward to this summer- my holidays being one of them!!

So although I'm counting down to, planning, and looking forward to Christmas, I'm not wishing the summer away, either. :)

(Although I wouldn't mind wishing away September/October to get right to November and Christmas light season!)

Posy wrote: »
    I've a lot of things I'm looking forward to this summer- my holidays being one of them!!

So although I'm counting down to, planning, and looking forward to Christmas, I'm not wishing the summer away, either. :)

(Although I wouldn't mind wishing away September/October to get right to November and Christmas light season!)

I love the long build up from then. I'm much more of a Autumn and winter person then spring and summer, but I'm going away next month for the first time in 8 years.

Wow!!

I'll be going away this summer for the first time in 3 months and I'm hanging for it! :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    Wow!!

I'll be going away this summer for the first time in 3 months and I'm hanging for it! :o

This is the first summer in a while I won't be going away. But it's ok I'm saving for my wedding next year so I'll make up for it with the honeymoon next year haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

My kids movie of choice at the moment is "Santa Claus the movie" and they've been wearing their Christmas pj's more often.. very festive in my house lately..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Passed my driver theory test today. Theoretically I could have my full license for Christmas!

Christmas FM just tweeted that they've updated the app to fix some bugs. Haven't listened in awhile. Must stick it on tomorrow to help me with the housework!

OMG I had no idea it plays throughout the year!! I just put it on in work there to have a sneaky listen - I'm on my own, it's ok! Nobody can see me for the complete nutjob I am :(:D

leahyl wrote: »
    OMG I had no idea it plays throughout the year!! I just put it on in work there to have a sneaky listen - I'm on my own, it's ok! Nobody can see me for the complete nutjob I am :(:D

It's just a continuous stream of music. There's no live shows or anything like that.

It's just a continuous stream of music. There's no live shows or anything like that.

I know, but I didn't know that! :) Yaaay though! It can calm me in times of stress! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I bought my family pass the parcel present today. Last year we decided to start a tradition of buying a silly gift that could be for any one of us and having a pass the parcel game at Christmas dinner. I was in a charity shop this afternoon and found this all brand new in a sealed box. It's perfect. :D

6.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement