Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

iguana wrote: »
    I bought my family pass the parcel present today. Last year we decided to start a tradition of buying a silly gift that could be for any one of us and having a pass the parcel game at Christmas dinner. I was in a charity shop this afternoon and found this all brand new in a sealed box. It's perfect. :D

6.jpeg

That is a great idea, might have to steal it :-)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

amor3 wrote: »
    That is a great idea, might have to steal it :-)

Yeah it's good fun. The rules are that it has to cost less than €10 and no-one gets their own gift and nobody gets a gift that they know what it is. So last year my mum saw what I had bought so she couldn't get that. If at the end of passing time someone has a gift they can't get in their hands, we have to keep passing. It goes on until it everyone is finally holding a gift they can open. And as my son is the only child at the table, and is very young, we wrap a silly toy in kids paper and engineer things so that he gets that. It's a good game for in between dinner and dessert as it goes on for a bit and gives you a chance to be ready to eat again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jude13

Had a heavy, for us, weekend and was sitting on the sofa all yesterday with the OH. We couldn't figure out what to watch on netflix as we were both too hungover, more her than me, so she said I could pick anything, I hovered over four Christmas's and she quickly qualified it with no Christmas movies..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We were walking through a park in the beautiful weather at the weekend and overheard a kid singing Jingle Bells. :D The little legend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

199 days to go!! The build up starts here. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Posy wrote: »

For me the build up starts in September when schools and colleges are back. Then it really takes off once Halloween is out of the way.

For me it actually starts when the Brown Thomas Christmas shop opens. It's the only part of Brown Thomas I'd ever really shop in. :D
    I do love the August/September build up though.

The Rose of Tralee definitely marks the end of the summer for me.
    Suddenly the kids return to school, the football/hurling championships are at a close, Glenroe is back and BAM!! CHRISTMAS!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

For me it actually starts when the Brown Thomas Christmas shop opens.
    I love the August/September build up though.

The Rose of Tralee definitely marks the end of the summer for me.
    Suddenly the kids return to school, the football/hurling championships are at a close, Glenroe is back and BAM!! CHRISTMAS!! :)

I have actually never seen the BT Christmas shop. The men's in BT isn't great, so I never go in there. I might have to take a trip this year to check it out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I can't believe we're in the hundreds already!! So exciting! :D

Summer as usual keeps getting in the way I've had an event on almost every weekend for the past month and with the Euros starting the next month won't be much better, coupled that with work getting busy and I haven't had a moment to thing about Christmas.

But come August I will be in full on assault Christmas mode haha.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

For me the build up starts in September when schools and colleges are back. Then it really takes off once Halloween is out of the way.

What I really like is going into Heatons in early September and seeing 1/3 of the floorspace given over to toys. That says Christmas is right around the corner to me. (Also Heatons tend to have some great deals compared to Smyths.)

• Advertisement

Thre was Christmas stuff on sale in the hardware store here, I was tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Feeling kind of Christmassy today....! Don't know why! I downloaded the Christmas fm app to my phone again so might listen to it later on....:D

It's Christmas for football fans! (Although Spain vs Czech Republic is boooorring!)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,532 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Decided to write my 2000 post on the Christmas thread.
    Can't believe how fast the year is going and it's just going to keep on getting closer and closer!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Decided to write my 2000 post on the Christmas thread.
    Can't believe how fast the year is going and it's just going to keep on getting closer and closer!

I know I was looking at my work calendar today and can't believe half the year is gone

Congratulations, freshpopcorn!! :)

2000-posts.jpg

I had a few minutes this morning so I put together a Facebook Event page for my pals anual get together on 23rd December. We always meet at the same spot, same date, same time.

I have added a few polls, real/fake tree, change of venue (never going to happen). Its got me feeling all Christmassy.

Is there a Chirstmas pic thread? not the Tree one, I need to festive this thing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Sorry in advance I can't remember who posted it. But myself and my friend were looking at Christmas markets and have decided to go this year. A girls christmas holiday :pac: as some posters here have mentioned markets im wondering if you can share any tips or any info that may be helpful..I think at the moment we are looking at the market in Prague. Thanks in advance :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Sorry in advance I can't remember who posted it. But myself and my friend were looking at Christmas markets and have decided to go this year. A girls christmas holiday :pac: as some posters here have mentioned markets im wondering if you can share any tips or any info that may be helpful..I think at the moment we are looking at the market in Prague. Thanks in advance :)

I will watch the convo with interest as I would love to do this myself.

I've never been either Mystery Egg. 10pm last night texting my friend she was looking for family holidays deals to lego land and ended up sending me the link to the prague christmas market !! Easy mistake to make I know haha :pac: we gonna get together later and have a talk about dates etc. I'm so excited! Pictures look magical. And i remember someone on this thread sayin they had been or are going also !

• Advertisement

With yesterday being so dull it was the first evening in ages I was able to light the candles and lights I have on the mantle piece. Felt so wintery! Reminded me of the cold dark evenings in august and sept right before I get ready for Halloween and then christmas !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Glitzgirl wrote: »

I'm heading to the Berlin markets in December for a stag (boys and girls going) but it's my first time so no tips I'm afraid.

kitten_k wrote: »
    I'm heading to the Berlin markets in December for a stag (boys and girls going) but it's my first time so no tips I'm afraid.

The pics of the Berlin market looked lovely ! :) Enjoy kitten k !

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

I will also watch the convo with interest as I have been planning to finally do the Christmas markets this year, too and as it happens Prague is where I'd love to go!

So its settled then, a boards.ie Christmas Market trip tp Prague is confirmed.

I plan on going the 5th to the 8th December in case anyone is in Prague ! Make yourself known boardsies :)

I was planning on going a bit closer to the actual Christmas but then I wouldn't know for sure...

Glitzgirl, may I ask, would you happen to know the opening dates of the markets in Prague?

I was planning on going a bit closer to the actual Christmas but then I wouldn't know for sure...

Glitzgirl, may I ask, would you happen to know the opening dates of the markets in Prague?

I think it's the 3rd of December til early January. Some markets open a bit earlier at the November I think. But the link I was sent is for the 3rd of December in Prague :)

Great, thank you.

3rd December is perfect, I was more concerned about the closing dates. Didn't know they run til early January.

I am getting excited now!

• Advertisement

There's a big thread in Travel about Christmas markets. It was started in 2006 but the latest posts were from last Christmas so it might be worth a read.

Do you know what Boards needs? A Santa emoji. Big oversight on their part.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement