Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

On maternity leave for Christmas this year. Yaaaayyyýy

When is baby number 2 due?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Noahboah2014

Loughc wrote: »
    When is baby number 2 due?

August 17th. So not back to work until mid January. First Christmas since I was a child that I will be completely free of college or work commitments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

August 17th. So not back to work until mid January. First Christmas since I was a child that I will be completely free of college or work commitments

Ah fantastic. Enjoy the time off with your two little ones especially at Christmas. It's the best time to be with family :D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Noahboah2014

Loughc wrote: »
    Ah fantastic. Enjoy the time off with your two little ones especially at Christmas. It's the best time to be with family :D

Thank you. I can't wait already.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mark26ireland

Argos Autumn/Winter catalogue is out this month i think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Argos Autumn/Winter catalogue is out this month i think!

Ooh! That was one of the markers on my signs christmas is coming list from another thread !! Getting so close! Thanks Mark that just made my morning :)

Sorry forgot the name to the previous poster who is on maternity leave for Christmas and expecting baby number too, best of luck and enjoy !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Anybody else feeling very Christmassy today?!!! :pac: I'm listening to Christmas FM again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

leahyl wrote: »
    Anybody else feeling very Christmassy today?!!! :pac: I'm listening to Christmas FM again....

Almost time for the Christmas eve traditions thread. My favourite thread in the forum.

Almost time for the Christmas eve traditions thread. My favourite thread in the forum.

It's my favourite as well, full of good feels! :D

leahyl wrote: »

I am !!! My order arrived from boohoo with mu new christmas jumpers ! Got some lovely ones for only a few euro. Am currently wearing the "Festive Af " jumper while flicking around on netflix and thinking of what christmas presents I have left to buy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

oh I'm feeling so christmassy today. We just moved into our new house , so I'm all about having it ready for christmas. But also now i really want to set some christmas eve traditions for our home. Last year was the first christmas eve we spent together , normally we would both be in our parents houses. We started last year by making christmas tree meringues. Only problem being my drunk friend wouldn't leave. So id imagine us having a lovely day of baking and watching christmas movies , minus the drunk friend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh, and I just love when the weather is wet or snowing - makes it all the more atmospheric! Being in the kitchen baking while the wind howls outside and the rain batters against the window! Or being in the living room with a roaring fire! In reality, I actually don't do any baking on Christmas Eve (we normally go visiting) but it's how I imagine my dream Christmas Eve...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I was woken up this morning by my 3 year old god-daughter asking me what time was Santa coming and do we have a christmas tree!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 callmelisa

Hi all. I joined today just so I can start contributing to these threads. Never met anyone who loves Christmas like I do, so I feel like you're my people!

I'm well into Christmas countdown mode, looking ahead to the Autumn months and festive plans. Got my Home Sweet Home Yankee candle burning today (anyone else think this candle smells like Christmas personified??) while browsing the Christmas in July movies. Weather outside is crap, which I love -- bloody hate summer. Roll on Autumn!

This week we booked our December trip to London so we can go to Winter Wonderland etc. Very excited! I'm also planning my Christmas crafts this year. Last year was my first time attempting anything crafty -- I made my own large present boxes for under the tree, all decorated and festive. They were lovely (if I do say so myself!) and it really gave me the crafting bug. Can't wait to try more things this year.

Anyway, I won't ramble on. I look forward to chatting with you all in the coming months!

callmelisa wrote: »
    Hi all. I joined today just so I can start contributing to these threads. Never met anyone who loves Christmas like I do, so I feel like you're my people!

Hi callmelisa ! Welcome! Your Definitely among the right people here anyway :pac: I'm not very crafty myself but there are a few people here who share their work and it is amazing !! Definitly the place for Christmas themed craft inspiration ( or envy in my case ) :p

Welcome to the happiest place on Boards callmelisa!

You'll fit right in here, we're all Christmas nuts here!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Welcome along, Lisa! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

Popped into penneys this morning they had a small selection of the thicker Autumn / winter cardigans ! Yaay penneys is always my indicator on Christmas coming.

applesock wrote: »
    Popped into penneys this morning they had a small selection of the thicker Autumn / winter cardigans ! Yaay penneys is always my indicator on Christmas coming.

I can't wait to see all the woollies arrive in penny's! !! I know it's summer time and my own mini glitz is at summer camp this week but with the dull cold weather it couldn't feel any less like summer time! So bring on autumn and my warm wooly clothes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Had a browse at the bottom of my wardrobe looking for something this morning, spotted my Christmas jumper!

Put a smile on my face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭DenMan

Welcome callmelisa :)

Christmas_wallpapers_Welcome_to_Christmas_085692_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Started discussing Christmas plans with my fella today, he was gobsmacked. He was like "We haven't even booked our summer holiday yet!" :D

I'm terminally ill and thought last Christmas would be my last but it looks like this Christmas is comfortably going to happen too so I think I can be forgiven for being excited about it! I get to see my beloved Christmas decorations one more year. Yay! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I cried a liitle with shock and sadness when I read that Elliott. May there be many more Christmases for you and what there will be, may it be deeply deeply sweet.

I cried a liitle with shock and sadness when I read that Elliott. May there be many more Christmases for you and what there will be, may it be deeply deeply sweet.

There's no need to be sad, Mystery Egg. I grieved for about four months after getting the news then something just lifted off me.

But I see the value in relishing what you enjoy even more now which is why this forum is so great. You all should enjoy Christmas to the max because you never, ever know when life will throw crap at you.

To be honest, there's one aspect of Christmas I could do without and have never cared for once I became an adult, the gift-giving. I love giving gifts but I think gift-giving puts so much financial pressure on so many people.

But I love the decorations, food and time with your loved ones. Christmas is family. And friends!

Gawd, the decorations! Is there anything better than Christmas decorations? I have not built up my own collection yet because I have always been in small rentals but I love helping my mother put up hers every year. I love how pretty they are and the memories they bring back. The worn, glitter-covered reindeers she got for us when we kids. The daft mini mirrored, fluffy handbag ornament my sister got. :D The delicate, patterned, matt rose-gold baubles that, even though we bought them in my parents' local Costcutter, are the nicest baubles we've ever bought. My mother's little bare branched tree with lights at the end of the branches. The bright emerald ribbed baubles I couldn't walk past last Christmas. The tacktastic trumpet-playing Santy than we use to annoy the cat every year, and laugh when he turns his back to it. :pac:

I said I wasn't that sad any more but I am a bit devastated that I won't be able to start my own collection of carefully chosen (not necessarily all tasteful ;)) decorations. I love them and not only that but I have so many memories of picking out decorations down the years with my mother and sister and how excited we'd get looking at the decorations. Every year we would say we wouldn't buy any new ones, that we had enough, but every year we were seduced by the Christmas section in every shop and every year something would always turn our heads. :)

So everyone, relish buying new decorations and eating delish food and being with your family and friends for as long as your health allows.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Wow, Elliott.

This has really got me thinking about the "Things you would do differently next year" thread.

Perhaps some of you, like me, didn't get time to relax and watch as many Christmas films as you'd have liked to.
    Maybe you keep putting off that weekend away to a Christmas market in Europe until next year.
    Maybe you were so stressed trying to buy the perfect presents or planning an amazing festive lunch that you didn't enjoy the season as much as you should have.

Don't keep putting things off until next year. Enjoy yourselves and cherish the joy of Christmas 2016 and those you will be spending it with. :)

I know I will, thanks to the above post.

That's lovely, Posy!

Well, before I was even ill, I didn't really have much time for the gift-giving side of Christmas (aside from for children of course, you can't bottle the magical feeling we all felt as children when we saw that Santy had come!). I have seen so many people stressed and miserable at Christmas worrying about money. That makes me sad because it is SO unnecessary, IMO. Christmas should be about family and films and music and food and drink and everyone having a lovely, colourful, bright fortress in which to hide from the dark northerly winter. :) And the lead up to Christmas which also is a great distraction from the short, cold days.

I'd also say to people, if something goes wrong on Christmas Day, don't sweat it. About a decade ago, my family and I had a disasterous Christmas, filled with various serious illnesses, operations and a small house fire that broke out at our home. (not fairy light-related. :)) My fiancé's uncle also died in a house fire in the early hours of Christmas Day years ago. He had escaped the house but thought his wife was still in there and went back where he was overcome just before he reached the back door to get back outside again. His wife had actually escaped. :( These events have made me really appreciate the good Christmases and made me realise that it doesn't matter if the trifle didn't set quite right or the wreath won't hang properly on the door or you broke a bauble or the stuffing isn't quite as tasty as last year's. One year our Christmas tree fell over (we think it was pussycat-related ;)) and we just laughed and redecorated it. Just relax and enjoy. OK, I'll stop preaching now. :D

Seen on my fb it's only 24 weeks til christmas !!! Nearly fell off my chair :pac: sounds so close ! Plus some of the Facebook pages who sells personalised crafts and wood work are advertising their Christmas signs ! Super excited. Even seen a halloween one. May have to get one to add to my collection

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Christmas feels really close. I think it's because we had that nice week of weather last month and ever since it's felt like late autumn.

iguana wrote: »
    Christmas feels really close. I think it's because we had that nice week of weather last month and ever since it's felt like late autumn.

I think you hit the nail on the head there iguana. It just feels do miserable and everywhere has their sales on feels so like mid autumn. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement