Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I know my fellow elves will be interested in this.

https://www.facebook.com/events/660331214143431/?ti=icl

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »
    I live in North Dublin and the sun went in at 3 and wasn't seen again. Still roasting now tho.

We went to town and spent the day in a beer garden. The sun went in for awhile but once it came back out it was scorching.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It was terrible here, there was no sun whatsoever from about 1.30pm.

I didn't mind though- I'm a winter person anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,534 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Posy wrote: »
    It was terrible here, there was no sun whatsoever from about 1.30pm.

I didn't mind though- I'm a winter person anyway!

I know somebody getting married today and I told their mother that it was going to a be a lovely day. It ended up raining and wasn't sunny at all. The photo's were taken in the church!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

This day 20 weeks . . . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

This day 20 weeks . . . . .

I seen this on fb too today ! Got a bit of a shock. When you say it like 20 weeks it seems like it's just around the corner. ! I always go into a bit of a panic when I know it's getting closer... :p

I just seen this on Facebook this morning. We must follow the same Christmas page :D

We clearly have great taste so Loughc ;) haha

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I know my fellow elves will be interested in this.

https://www.facebook.com/events/660331214143431/?ti=icl

Lol , I came here to post about it too :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

That looks so good. We will definitely go if it's a kid's movie. (As long as it's not one that focusses on whether Santa exists or not.)

Speaking of Santa, I just read that David Huddleston, Santa from Santa Claus the Movie, died a few days ago. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The weather is glorious in Dublin today. I love summer.
    I know I said I'm a winter person, but I must admit that getting up for work on dark, cold and rainy winter mornings is never easy. :(

Has anyone ever been to Winterval in Waterford. I've seen clips on tv for the last few years and it looks really good but it's easy to make something look great in an edited few minutes. Is it actually worth the trip?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

iguana wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been to Winterval in Waterford. I've seen clips on tv for the last few years and it looks really good but it's easy to make something look great in an edited few minutes. Is it actually worth the trip?

I've been. My advice is if you have a Christmas market/festival somewhere more local go to that. It's grand but the tv spot is definitely showing the best bits.

I'm really looking forward to the Christmas eve thread picking up! Always looking for ways to make more special memories :)

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to the Christmas eve thread picking up! Always looking for ways to make more special memories :)

That Christmas Eve thread is great. We started the Christmas Eve box tradition. New Pjs, chocolate and DVDs gifted for Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jude13

That Christmas eve thread has gotten me through a few pre-flight nerves alright. I coppied and pasted loads of it on to my notes on the ipad and would read it whilst taxi-ing and take off.

How some people get the time to do stuff though...

I've been. My advice is if you have a Christmas market/festival somewhere more local go to that. It's grand but the tv spot is definitely showing the best bits.

That's what I suspected. It's a couple of hours drive from us, so I'd be worried that S would have a great time but I'd be annoyed at taking a four hour round trip to do roughly the same stuff we could have done at home. You are also constrained by having to book stuff like Santa well in advance, so you have to go that day even if the weather is as horrendous as some of the weather we had last year.

We like to spend some time in Dublin on the run up to Christmas, so I think we might do the drive-in movie and Santa at Arnotts, Stephen's Green or Power's Court (as they are all real Santas ;)). And if the weather is good when we're there, maybe head out to St Ann's Park in Raheny or something like that but if it's bad we'll still have plenty to do.

I love it Loughc ! We do somethin very similar here. And for the day of the toy show new christmas pjs and each person has a lovely little red goody bag what I fill up before hand. I need to buy a nice Christmas cup for each of us do for the toy show too for hot choc. I love special things like that. :)

I know jude it's so nice to be able to read the thread and have a quick insight into how other people celebrate with their loved ones. I will admit though it gets me in so much trouble with mr glitz because I'm forever pulling ideas from it haha

School books ordered uniform bought ! Counting down the days. I find September goes so quickly then time to decorate for halloween..lol need to take a breath getting all excited. Doesn't help that my youngest has taken a sudden love for snowmen and insists in wearing his olaf slipper socks ( christmas themed ones my mam got his last year which he refused to let touch his feet ). For the last 3 weeks all he will talk about is the snowman ! I've never been prouder haha :):p

My OH got me a box of Christmas themed socks last Christmas. I'm dangerously getting close to having more Christmas theme socks than regular socks haha.

• Advertisement

My OH got me a box of Christmas themed socks last Christmas. I'm dangerously getting close to having more Christmas theme socks than regular socks haha.

I don't think your in danger of anyone here judging you on that one :) at least you'll Weat. them. Every November 1st I clean out Mr glitz sock and underwear drawer and remove hid regular ones and replace them with christmas ones so he has no choice but to wear them. Lol its a constant battle :D

I am feeling super festive today ! Im on a total organisation and cleaning buzz. I'm sorting through the boys clothes see what I need to stock up on, organising the new room for our foster child (yea!) And doing a good thorough clean. That's always the start of christmas countdown for me. Checking school supplies , clothes sizes ,writing up food shopping / stock up lists ! Totally buzing today ! Might even try do a toy decluttering ( when the kids aren't around obviously lol :p ) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm on the last few days of my hols at the mo so naturally I'm beginning to think about Christmas :pac: beginning to think I should start my Christmas shopping extra early this year....who should I start with....

Oh my god I'm the same as regards the Christmas Eve thread, you just know Christmas is getting closer when it starts popping up again! :D

There's absolutely a festive buzz in the air here this morning. I think the windy weather is making me feel like it's winter or something haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Coming home with the dogs yesterday evening and it felt like autumn and I could smell the smoke from the chimney. Definitely something starting! :)

I just came back from holidays this week too, sadly to a burst pipe in the ktichen ceiling that the landlord is dragging his butt fixing. Due to this I had to move allot of stuff into the garden shed. To make room for the kitchen stuff I 'had' to take more fairy lights out and put them on the tree in the back garden.

My OH isnt back till Monday, lets see if she notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

That Christmas Eve thread is great. We started the Christmas Eve box tradition. New Pjs, chocolate and DVDs gifted for Christmas Eve.

Delighted you started it. Defo a great treat on Christmas Eve!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I booked the Snowman in the National Concert Hall! Roll on December!

lazygal wrote: »
    I booked the Snowman in the National Concert Hall! Roll on December!

I love the snowman, I have a wedding in Kinsale the 16th so might go the 18th to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

For the first time ever I have a few things bought early.

I was in tesco on Friday and they had a wooden train set for €5 down from €15 so that's in the wardrobe for the little fella. I got a lovely "you are my sunshine" cushion cover delivered from wish.com this morning so that'll be stuffed and put into either his Christmas Eve or toy show goodie bag. Have some jewellery on the way for my sister and I'm planning on buying a chimnea for my parents this week and put it away (is that a really odd Christmas pressie?).

I'm absolutely so excited this year for Christmas. The baby will be just gone two (I think I may have mentioned that but it's a huge deal for me to have him understand something fun is happening). I can see my husband who is usually a grinch, feeling it too. I'm hoping it's shaping up to be a truly special one.

We've already decide we are gonna do the polar brekkie on Christmas Eve (I think it was iguana who mentioned doing it) and we will go to lullymore Santa again and on the train. I'm also thinking we should find a show suitable for a child that age. Either cinema or live show somewhere (reluctant to do live because if e hates it and we leave it'll be such a waste of money).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement