Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Just realized that Christmas Eve is at the weekend this year so I wont have to work! I usually spend Christmas eve rushing around making a large (and I mean LARGE) turkey pudding for all our animals and the various strays and neighbours animals too lol. At least this year I can start early :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Out in heatons in carlow today and I kid you not people they were putting out toys for their half price sale already !! I said it to the girl at the till who clearly didn't share my excitement ! Anyone with a little girl to buy for they had a good few littlest pet shop play set half price! :)

I picked up a pair of those desert boots for my oldest little glitz ! They always remind me of A/W as I always get the two boys here a pair each every August /sept !

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Out in heatons in carlow today and I kid you not people they were putting out toys for their half price sale already !! I said it to the girl at the till who clearly didn't share my excitement ! Anyone with a little girl to buy for they had a good few littlest pet shop play set half price! :)

I picked up a pair of those desert boots for my oldest little glitz ! They always remind me of A/W as I always get the two boys here a pair each every August /sept !
    Yay! That's my first sign of Christmas. I just walked past my local Heatons and didn't go in. Kicking myself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I cleaned up in Heatons in September last year for all the surprises! Get in there people!

iguana wrote: »
    Yay! That's my first sign of Christmas. I just walked past my local Heatons and didn't go in. Kicking myself now.

I know! It's always a dead give away we are close for me ! They were only putting out a few bits. The lady at the til said they had loads more to put out. :) yeah!

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I cleaned up in Heatons in September last year for all the surprises! Get in there people!

I know their was great deals. I'll be going in early again to get the ones I need. There was kids already picking up the littlest pet shop products half price!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I know! It's always a dead give away we are close for me !

I made that mistake last year. S was about 2 and 3/4s and I was pushing him in his buggy when I saw all the toys out and said 'oooh I guess it's Christmas.' He got so excited thinking it was Christmas and he could get his Batcave. It was a hard discussion that followed.:o

iguana wrote: »
    He got so excited thinking it was Christmas and he could get his Batcave. It was a hard discussion that followed.:o

Haha been there. It's so hard especially when they have no concept of time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20 yulenka4

Hi everyone, newbie to the forum here, just stumbled across this on Saturday. And I must say I love it. It's great hearing how everyone prepares for and celebrates christmas. This forum has really put me in the Christmas spirit .

For anyone interested the Disney Store in Dublin has some great bargains at the moment .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Hey Yulenka4 welcome to the Christmas forum :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Welcome along, yulenka4!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,534 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 30,534 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Can anybody here answer this?
    Generally the Brown Thomas Christmas Shop opens in mid/late August. On the news all the hype is around the Dublin store. Does the Cork store open at the same time or do they wait closer to Christmas and is everything in stock or they just a few bits and pieces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

My folks are going to New York in early November.

My name is planning on buying plenty of American decorations.

Would he not ruin it on himself by celebrating everyday? Half the enjoyment is the build up and preparation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Generally the Brown Thomas Christmas Shop opens in mid/late August. On the :):)news all the hype is around the Dublin store. Does the Cork store open at the same time or do they wait closer to Christmas and is everything in stock or they just a few bits and pieces?

Hi fresh popcorn, yes the Cork one is usually open at the same time. Generally about 25th / 26th August. Happy days :). Fully stocked from the outset.

America has an amazing variety of Christmas decorations especially candy cane themed. Personally I've always found these to be very christmasy.
    There is a store called Christmas Cottage . They have a wonderful selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I Believe posted on FB that they're busy getting ready for Christmas in Dublin. I loved their market last year. I ate my absolute weight in brownies.

Omg happy shopping ! Bring an empty suitcase decorations are fabulous over there and cheap as chips :)

Generally the Brown Thomas Christmas Shop opens in mid/late August. On the news all the hype is around the Dublin store. Does the Cork store open at the same time or do they wait closer to Christmas and is everything in stock or they just a few bits and pieces?

Nearly sure they open the same date as dublin !

• Advertisement

yulenka4 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, newbie to the forum here, just stumbled across this on Saturday. And I must say I love it. It's great hearing how everyone prepares for and celebrates christmas. This forum has really put me in the Christmas spirit .

For anyone interested the Disney Store in Dublin has some great bargains at the moment .

Welcome yulenka4! :) now on to this important point u bring up about the disney store deals ! Do you know if its just toys or have they got their Christmas decorations out yet! I

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh my god im getting that warm fuzzy feeling again! I need to stick on Christmas FM I think!

Omg the app isn't working!! It says the station currently isn't streaming... :-(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Would he not ruin it on himself by celebrating everyday? Half the enjoyment is the build up and preparation

Yes this to me is the best part of Christmas is the build up. Christmas Day itself tends to be a much quieter event, almost a moment to relax. Also I view the entire period as Christmas not just one day, hence the evil glare I give people when they proclaim that's it for another yet when you're still digesting the Christmas dinner.
    leahyl wrote: »
    Oh my god im getting that warm fuzzy feeling again! I need to stick on Christmas FM I think!

There is something in the air alright the forum has come alive this week! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Is anybody theming (is that a word?) their decorations this year?

We usually do a tree or two and that's it but I'd like to do a bit more this year.

Almost every week I pop into the second hand shop to see if they have any board books for the baby. They sell them very reasonably and I love him to have a good collection. Anyway, I picked up two Christmas books and there were others up there too that I might go back for.

I also got a lovely wooden jigsaw, still sealed for next to nothing. Frugally building up a nice pressie stash so I am!

Loughc wrote: »
    Yes this to me is the best part of Christmas is the build up. Christmas Day itself tends to be a much quieter event, almost a moment to relax. Also I view the entire period as Christmas not just one day, hence the evil glare I give people when they proclaim that's it for another yet when you're still digesting the Christmas dinner.

I'm the exact same. Christmas day tends to be quiet enough. We make a trip to the graveyard, go to see our granny, and come home to prepare dinner, then flake out on the couch for the evening.

I much prefer November/December, when it's cold, all the shops have their Christmas stock in, and there is no events before Christmas.

Whispered wrote: »
    Is anybody theming (is that a word?) their decorations this year?!

I colour theme and organise by room ? Don't know if youd consider that a theme though. :p sitting room generally has my good tree with glass silver and purple. Kitchen usually had that cliché but oh so adorable santa theme with Santa's face on jugs and reindeer cookie jars. I try have the kitchen more child friendly becaue I set up a hot chocolate bar and the kids generally like all the Santa style deco. The hall is normally gold and cream and upstairs is just a free for all. I mean if the boys have picked it out and it's anyway tacky or not in keeping with the theme downstairs I tell them they can pick out any little bits that appeal to them and they have their own tree. So far the eldest has a rid amount of christmas themed teddies and tinsel and snow globes in his room come christmas ! :p their tree has everything from Santa teddies to tinsel to star wars decorations haha haha

Welcome yulenka4! :) now on to this important point u bring up about the disney store deals ! Do you know if its just toys or have they got their Christmas decorations out yet! I

Hey there, just toys at the moment but some lovely bits . They have an animatronics sven from frozen, which I found to be quiet christmasy , (guess because he's a deer.)
    Debenhams in Dublin had small and large Olaf's with Christmas hats on them. That's the closest I've seen to Christmas decorations so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

getting closer to in season, not too far to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

All I can think about is christmas! The last family birthdays for the year are at the end of July and once August hits I'm just wearing those christmas tinted glasses!

I've mentioned a few things to my husband but I think if he knew the true obsession he may leave!

Do we think the toy show will be on the 02nd Dec this year rather than the previous weekend as it's earlier in December this year, if you get me!?!?

• Advertisement

Do we think the toy show will be on the 02nd Dec this year rather than the previous weekend as it's earlier in December this year, if you get me!?!?

Hmmm... hard one to call, last year it was the 27th of Nov, the last Friday of the month, this year the last Friday in November is the 25th so it's not that much different.

I'm kinda hoping it's the 25th for selfish reasons, the toy show is the day I put up the decorations haha, so getting to put them up slightly earlier would be nice haha.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement