Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I bought mince pies, nurm, nurm, nurm. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

I don't mean to alarm but I have exciting news. After today's drawn All Ireland final an event more shocking than President Michael D Higgins lining up for an ATM occurred (the journal.ie article dated yesterday 17/9) Sky 1 aired a Christmas themed episode of The Simpsons. You're welcome :) Now time to put on the Christmas playlist on Youtube.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I was on the Christmas FM site just there, (as you do to avoid the Sunday night fear) and I came across these great survey results;
    The greatest Christmas wish is for people to spend time with absent family and friends (27%)

63% of people admit to not opening presents on Christmas Eve while 33% of people exchange one each

‘Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree’ was voted the favourite novelty Christmas song (42%), followed by ‘Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer’ (31%)

48% of people look forward to the classic Christmas films on TV such as ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’

19% of people’s favourite Christmas Eve tradition is to eat Christmas pudding, followed by going to mass (15%)

Here's the link to that survey result,

https://christmasfm.com/christmas-survey-2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Put the heavy quilt back on the bed last night! Had such a good sleep too! Autumn has definitely arrived :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

FINALLY persuaded my husband to have a conversation about Christmas without him moaning.
    So he's booking Dec 2nd (toy show day) off and we will spend the day decorating and getting all Christmassy. I want to do a small gift box for our little boy, he'll be nearly 2. Not sure what'll be going in it yet though. Probably just toy show snacks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Cork2015!

Has anybody seen any nice big Christmas type boxes yet?
    I couldn't find them anywhere last year so i gave up on the idea but my little one will be turning 2 at Christmas and i would love to do a christmas eve box for her, her mammy and myself with pj's etc.

I looked up online and people are selling them already filled but most of the stuff is from dealz etc and not worth the price

If anyone sees any big boxes that would suit this can you let me know where?

I'm using a paper box, as in a box the reams of paper come in, or if I need bigger, a file box, covered in wrapping paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Cork2015!

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm using a paper box, as in a box the reams of paper come in, or if I need bigger, a file box, covered in wrapping paper.

Oh good idea, sat here at work am actually going to head straight over to the printing room and see if there are any thrown around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Cork2015! wrote: »
    Has anybody seen any nice big Christmas type boxes yet?

not sure if it what your looking for but some chemist sell those gift boxes. I got lovely red holographic effect boxes ( the type that you would get a salon gift basket set in ) and I buy some nice shredded paper and the clear plastic cover to wrap it with. Also if your looking for somethin more crafty ikea sell wooden crate boxes in 2 sizes. You could paint and personalise with little wooden letters from a craft store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I got mine in dunnes last year. Really sturdy and will last year's. I used them afterwards to store decorations so dual purpose ☺

• Advertisement

FINALLY persuaded my husband to have a conversation about Christmas without him moaning.
    So he's booking Dec 2nd (toy show day) off and we will spend the day decorating and getting all Christmassy. I want to do a small gift box for our little boy, he'll be nearly 2. Not sure what'll be going in it yet though. Probably just toy show snacks :)

We started our toy show tradition when my eldest little boy was about that age. We got one of those little red draw string goody bags with a few bars in them a few weeks before the toy show. (From tesco Christmas sweet section ) and obviously had the bars gone before toy show day so I filled the bags with santa choc lollies and some personalised sweets. Each person got one in a Christmas cup and a set of pjs. It's our tradition every year for the toy show now. They boys love to see those little red bags coming out ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    not sure if it what your looking for but some chemist sell those gift boxes. I got lovely red holographic effect boxes ( the type that you would get a salon gift basket set in ) and I buy some nice shredded paper and the clear plastic cover to wrap it with. Also if your looking for somethin more crafty ikea sell wooden crate boxes in 2 sizes. You could paint and personalise with little wooden letters from a craft store.

Glitz where do you get the clear plastic cover to wrap it?

kitten_k wrote: »

Most eason's or art and hobby shops would have it in stock. Cellophane I think it's called ?? I just call it the clear plastic for gift baskets :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,537 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You could even try a pound shop for it, I've also seen in it Lidl!

Most eason's or art and hobby shops would have it in stock. Cellophane I think it's called ?? I just call it the clear plastic for gift baskets :pac:

My mother got some of this about ten years ago she got a huge roll through a friend who is a business owner who got it in a cash and carry. We still have like half a roll of it. We did of course pay for the large roll quite a bit by mid 2000-2009 prices but its been well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,537 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was in Mahon Point in Cork Yesterday and I was disappointed with the selection of stuff that was out compared to previous years. There was nothing in the retail park. Their wasn't even Halloween decorations in Home Store And More!
    The shopping centre was much the same their was a few things in Carraig Donn and a few gift sets in Debenhams. Boots were only starting to put out their stock and Tesco had a few things out. I was hoping to try those chocolate potatoes that I've seen on the Internet but they didn't have them.
    I went to Bridget Jones tough and that always reminds me of Christmas. I really enjoyed it, so that made up for it!

I was in Mahon Point in Cork Yesterday and I was disappointed with the selection of stuff that was out compared to previous years. There was nothing in the retail park. Their wasn't even Halloween decorations in Home Store And More!

homestore and more never put out their halloween decorations until the 1st of October. But if you sign up for their newsletter you will get 3 days advanced notice of their sales.

Thanks ! I forgot lidl did some last year too !

We started our toy show tradition when my eldest little boy was about that age. We got one of those little red draw string goody bags with a few bars in them a few weeks before the toy show. (From tesco Christmas sweet section ) and obviously had the bars gone before toy show day so I filled the bags with santa choc lollies and some personalised sweets. Each person got one in a Christmas cup and a set of pjs. It's our tradition every year for the toy show now. They boys love to see those little red bags coming out ! :)

We've always done PJ's on Christmas eve, since I was tiny. Although it took me to a surprisingly late age to realise that when we were given our christmas eve gift it would be nightwear. :o

We are currently doing up his bedroom so he can move out of our bed (sob) so I might put christmas duvet cover or throw for his bed into the box as well. Few little baby friendly sweets and crisps. I'll have to think of more.

His birthday then is on the 13th. Poor little chap has all the loveliness shoved into one month of the year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

All kids main Santa toys done.. can sit back and relax now ☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

If anyone is looking for a job in Cork, Fota Island Resort are holding elf auditions for their Santa experience tomorrow at 2.

https://www.facebook.com/FotaIslandResort/posts/10154477042138864

His birthday then is on the 13th. Poor little chap has all the loveliness shoved into one month of the year. :D

Mine is on the 12th. Ah its great all the same though I loved the many birthdays I had as a child sitting in front of a nice turf fire opening my presents after coming home from school. Indeed as I grew that little bit older I started to realise if I did not get what i wanted there was only a 13 day wait until Christmas for the remainder of the presents.

Aside from that it is wonderful the many ideas I am getting from these threads and if I ever am lucky enough to be blessed with children of my own I will be sure to take the ideas from here and make them my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

amor3 wrote: »
    All kids main Santa toys done.. can sit back and relax now ☺

Just like me last year. Running a bit behind this year, but she's older and more expensive. Probably the last year of Santa too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Just home from a few drinks with girls I used to work with. When we were leaving everyone was saying see you for our xmas night out!

I had a dream last night that some houses near me turned themselves into an advent calendar. They all had loads of lights up and a big lit up number. I come up with really good ideas in my sleep. :D

I had a dream last night that some houses near me turned themselves into an advent calendar. They all had loads of lights up and a big lit up number. I come up with really good ideas in my sleep. :D

Oh that would be such a good idea in one of those christmas movies where the houses do a light /decorations competition! Just like christmas with the kranks and frosty !

I love Twitter at this time of year. #BootsChristmas is trending.

https://twitter.com/VIPmagaz/status/778569741166321664

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Was out for a walk last night and you can really notice the dark evenings and dark morning settling in now. In 10 Days time we'll be in October? How mad is that!

I view my week in a hill or n shape Monday is bottom of the hill, Wednesday is the top of the hill and Friday is the bottom of other side of the hill. The reason I see that is Monday to Wednesday is a bit of a slog, but once you get past Wednesday it's all downhill and the rest of the week flies by.

I guess the same comparison can be made to the year. Once Summer is over, it's like there's so much momentum the rest of the year flies by!!

(Also 7,000th post!! Whoop Whoop!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Some places seem slower this year at organising christmas events. We had our santa experience booked by this time last year and we're hoping to go back but there is nothing on the website as of yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I got a lovely suede jacket in penneys the other day. I need new gloves to go with it. I'm so delighted it's FINALLY getting cooler. I can dig out all my lovely jumpers. Nearly time for my Christmas scarf to come out and play too! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement