Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Some places seem slower this year at organising christmas events. We had our santa experience booked by this time last year and we're hoping to go back but there is nothing on the website as of yet

I had made my decision about where to book yesterday and was really pleased with my choice. But as they weren't advertising it yet, I emailed to ask if it would be happening. I got an email back today to say it's not on this year. I'm gutted. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

iguana wrote: »
    I had made my decision about where to book yesterday and was really pleased with my choice. But as they weren't advertising it yet, I emailed to ask if it would be happening. I got an email back today to say it's not on this year. I'm gutted. :(

Oh no, that's sad. I'm looking at some of the Santa's around dublin but not blown away by any so far.

Oh no, that's sad. I'm looking at some of the Santa's around dublin but not blown away by any so far.

Yeah, I'm so annoyed. It would have been perfect. Was just what I wanted and was just 25 minutes from us.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I love Twitter at this time of year. #BootsChristmas is trending

Spend ages looking at all the posts relating to that hashtag haha. There are some great gift ideas for anyone who likes makeup!

Don't forget if you are on Twitter we can keep in touch on it via the hashtag #boardschristmas but there's no place like home here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Loughc wrote: »
    Spend ages looking at all the posts relating to that hashtag haha. There are some great gift ideas for anyone who likes makeup!

Don't forget if you are on Twitter we can keep in touch on it via the hashtag #boardschristmas but there's no place like home here :)

great idea whoever thought of it. Just went on there before coming here and sent out a few tweets to the politicians the ida and a few others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

#boardschristmas was great when Boards was down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

No tweets in a year. We need to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,537 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Today is the Autumn Equinox, the next Equinox will just be a few days before Christmas and it will be dark at around Five O' Clock.
    All the lights will be on and the shops will be busy and open late. The Supermarkets will be stocked wilth their fresh turkeys and people will start doing their final grocery shop.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Today is the Autumn Equinox, the next Equinox will just be a few days before Christmas and it will be dark at around Five O' Clock.
    All the lights will be on and the shops will be busy and open late. The Supermarkets will be stocked wilth their fresh turkeys and people will start doing their final grocery shop.

This post gave me chills. The excitement!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I do have to light a fire in the evenings now. It's after getting so cold.

• Advertisement

Indeed I hope the shops will indeed be busy and that people will stock up in the days before Christmas like the shops are not going to open for a month. I went shopping with my parents a few days after Christmas last year and one shop in particular we were one of only a handful of shoppers there on that occasion. I hope the parties involved in the various disputes resolve them before chaos is caused with traffic congestion as we near the happiest period of the year. Yes folks Santa is taking Christmas wishes from the children, the countdown is on and if I do say so myself I sincerely wish my house had an open fire on an evening like this. Not necessarily for the heat I get plenty from my stanley solid fuel cooker but for the appearance of an open fire and the warming glow looking said appearance gives. There is nothing like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Just like me last year. Running a bit behind this year, but she's older and more expensive. Probably the last year of Santa too.

I know, the older they get the dearer the presents and smaller the pile!!!

Am I the only one who didn't realise that heatons no longer deliver in Ireland as standard and now charge a ridiculous fee to deliver from UK? Was going to order santa toys but not now

Am I the only one who didn't realise that heatons no longer deliver in Ireland as standard and now charge a ridiculous fee to deliver from UK? Was going to order santa toys but not now

without knowing where you are from would it be possible to make the journey over the border and collect from store in NI if any, use parcel motel service or get toys sent to friend/relative in UK who is visiting between now and Christmas? I have used all 3 options above in the past.

They are giving 20% off all online purchases this weekend with this code; XTRA20 That might cover the shipping cost?

They are giving 20% off all online purchases this weekend with this code; XTRA20 That might cover the shipping cost?

That's exactly why I was ordering! The 20% off does cover the delivery, I'm just pissed as last year delivery was with dpd and cost €5! Anything to have some extra cash for more decorations 😀

That's exactly why I was ordering! The 20% off does cover the delivery, I'm just pissed as last year delivery was with dpd and cost €5! Anything to have some extra cash for more decorations 😀

Can you order it to Parcel Motel?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Can you order it to Parcel Motel?

I'm just going to order more stuff so the discount is way higher than the delivery fee, that makes senses, right?!?

Ah man. First Roses are awful but now this :(

• Advertisement

I'm just going to order more stuff so the discount is way higher than the delivery fee, that makes senses, right?!?
    That's good sound financial thinking!:D
    Ah man. First Roses are awful but now this :(
    I think we're going to all just have to form new traditions of buying nice chocolate at Christmas and abandoning the big tubs of palm oil with a hint of cocoa. I spent the first few months of this year trying to fob left over Roses and Celebrations off on my husband because I didn't want them. And I'm not going to do it again. I'll be stocking up on loads and loads of Aldi florentines when they come in. And I'm going to buy lots of bags of nice chocolate sweets and empty them into Christmassy tubs from Dealz/Euro Giant and have them for nibbling on throughout the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Shocking! There's no such thing as 'too much toffees'..... I love toffee sweets and it the reason why I prefer Quality Street sweets over other tubs.

Staph wrote: »
    Shocking! There's no such thing as 'too much toffees'..... I love toffee sweets and it the reason why I prefer Quality Street sweets over other tubs.

When we were kids every Christmas my parents used to buy a giant box of Scots Clan instead of Roses/Quality Street. All any of us ever wanted were the toffees so they reasoned that a big box of toffees was the way to go.

Then they changed the recipe and made the toffees very soft, so we stopped buying them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

iguana wrote:
    Then they changed the recipe and made the toffees very soft, so we stopped buying them.

Werthers do a nice hardish one.

We were exactly the same.

bladespin wrote: »
    Werthers do a nice hardish one.

We were exactly the same.

Aldi have some nice ones too. And Dealz usually have bags of very nice chocolate covered toffees.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Staph wrote:

Same here.
    It was the reason why I chose Quality Street over Roses last Christmas.

Don't think I'll be buying any tubs this year...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm not a major fan of toffees and there are a lot of toffees in Quality Street. I like honeycomb so for me, this is a good thing. :)
    Plus they still do tins, not just tubs, which makes me like them all the more.

This day three months it's Christmas Eve!!! \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

FOOD NETWORK

Showing Christmas cooking programs all morning :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jude13

Im a big fan of quality street especially the toffee ones however this addition may be an improvement so I will wait and see. I love watching cooking programmes but having no control I end up munching down loads of food whilst watching.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement