Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This forum should be closed until mid/late November!!!

Those days of having this as a season forum is long gone. Christmas is more than a season it's a feeling, Christmas makes people act a little nicer smile a little easier and act like the people we wish we were all year round. (Can you guess the movies I'm referencing ;) )

The people who post here all year round and not just for a month or two are this exemplified, they are some of the most joyous, thoughtful and nicest people I've had the pleasure of interacting with on the internet. And these days isn't that what we all need more of.

But saying all that if you're still unconvinced by us being open I'm sure I can arrange to have us out of your hair until mid November. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Nicely said, Loughc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jude13

Here here louchc, I wouldn't even be on this site if were not for this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

According to the lyrics to the song Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year. This Christmas forum here on Boards is the one forum that I get that nice feeling knowing that little red 1 beside my username in top right corner is going to direct me to this forum. For some people the Christmas season may begin in late November but for others it can start at any time of the year. There is another thread in this forum where events are ticked off as they happen, for some people it is when children go back to school or for others like myself we have to wait until a certain date passes in my case 2 (Oct 28th and Nov 1st) due to events that occurred on those dates before we can really look forward to the season. In saying that I have gone to the BT Christmas shop this year for the first time and indeed house is nice and warm due to the heating being on. Anyway sorry for the rant fellow members

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Whispered wrote: »
    Anyway, only one meat eater in the house, so considering an M&S turkey crown. Might go the while hog and get the prepared veggies too to make the day as easy and lazy as possible. How is the quality does anybody know?

Did this last year and while I found it weird not prepping loads and actually haing a very relaxed morning to myself as the others went hospital visiting (long story!) I was really really impressed. The turkey crown was DIVINE. We got way way too much food because you look through the little catalogue and think "oh, that sounds nice. Oh now that sounds AMAZING!" and before you know it you've enough to feed an army :rolleyes:.

Just be mindful of the ways and timings for cooking the prepped veg. There was a bit of oven maths to do last year but luckily I did it the night before so I didn't have to expend any brain energy whilst consuming hot whiskeys all day. :P

I'm super excited, this year there are a load of NFL games being played on Christmas Eve, so I get to come home home after doing all the last bits, light a fire, start cooking the ham and watch football. Can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

mud wrote: »
    I have some serious Christmas vibes going on today. I keep thinking about happy things and am planning presents and planning the food and the houses I'll visit on the day and in the run up to the day :)

I just found out that my brother will be leaving home before Christmas because that's just the way the visa cookie crumbled. Oh no! We'll just have to have an early Christmas dinner before he goes :) And then have another one on Christmas Day! \o/

Guess who's having Christmas dinner number 1 next Tuesday? Yassss!

We had so much fun doing it last year and here we are again, broseph is heading back and won't be home for Christmas so I get to rev up the cooking skills and we hope to feed 14 or 15, all the fambo and some neighbours and friends. Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

This forum should be closed until mid/late November!!!

Anyone for a humbug?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Loughc wrote: »
    Those days of having this as a season forum is long gone. Christmas is more than a season it's a feeling, Christmas makes people act a little nicer smile a little easier and act like the people we wish we were all year round. (Can you guess the movies I'm referencing ;) )

What so you all need the excuse of Christmas to be all those things all throughout the year. My opinion has been stated I'm not trying to troll or get attention or being a humbug or mean. Simply put Christmas has become a way for companies to make a fortune every year because of the growing needs of the children it is cleverly marketed towards. Christmas is not about Santa or buying something you are not in need of but about a child born into a world that wanted to have him put to death before he even drew breath. It just seems that its getting earlier and earlier every year.

Yes it is magical to see a your child open a gift not knowing what's inside and getting into the real spirit of Christmas once all the pressure of the build up towards the end goal of having your children open those presents is over. But come on its 28th of September parents have not even finished getting over the pressures of the current school year people. Do I really have to point that out.

No need to get antsy I'll see myself out. Enjoy the exuberance of thinking about were you are going to put new Christmas decorations before y'all even put the Halloween decorations up.

What so you all need the excuse of Christmas to be all those things all throughout the year. My opinion has been stated I'm not trying to troll or get attention or being a humbug or mean. Simply put Christmas has become a way for companies to make a fortune every year because of the growing needs of the children it is cleverly marketed towards. Christmas is not about Santa or buying something you are not in need of but about a child born into a world that wanted to have him put to death before he even drew breath. It just seems that its getting earlier and earlier every year.

Yes it is magical to see a your child open a gift not knowing what's inside and getting into the real spirit of Christmas once all the pressure of the build up towards the end goal of having your children open those presents is over. But come on its 28th of September parents have not even finished getting over the pressures of the current school year people. Do I really have to point that out.

No need to get antsy I'll see myself out. Enjoy the exuberance of thinking about were you are going to put new Christmas decorations before y'all even put the Halloween decorations up.

Cheerio then.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,537 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I love Christmas and that's why I post in this forum. There's no children in our family and I can't see it changing for a long time.
    What do I like about Christmas, having something to look forward to in the dark weeks of Winter, the lights, seeing families together at Christmas, preparing for the day (it doesn't have to be expensive) and Christmas means different things to people with different backgrounds but I don't judge them about it. I love going to special Advent ceremonies in lead up to Christmas and going to see the crib on Christmas day.
    I've a pretty good memory of Christmas stuff coming into shops and the supermarkets a behind on other years. I think I even posted about it are few weeks ago. Of course shops are going to try and make money in this period. It's generally their busiest quatre and often can keep the shop open for the rest of the year as well as keeping people in jobs and allowing people to pick up Christmas jobs for the weeks in the lead up to Christmas.
    As for parents not being over back to school costs. Some parents are and others aren't and won't be for a good while. That doesn't mean we should stop people of buying what they want and shops meeting this demand. When St Stephens day arrived. They are generally loads of ads of for family holidays costing €1000's but I rarely see people moan about this.
    PS, We live in Ireland and generally Halloween decorations aren't a thing for most people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Christmas is not about Santa or buying something you are not in need of but about a child born into a world that wanted to have him put to death before he even drew breath.

Well there's a cheery thought to celebrate 88 days to christmas, ho, ho, ho!

When St Stephens day arrived. They are generally loads of ads of for family holidays costing €1000's but I rarely see people moan about this.
    PS, We live in Ireland and generally Halloween decorations aren't a thing for most people!

I beg to differ about the Halloween décor. Don't moan because they have no money from Christmas especially if it has been put into action earlier than expected. But even if they did moan and had money it would draw the attention of the advertising towards it and thus make it more impactful. I am not judging anyone. Whoever wants to celebrate Christmas early that's fine by me. I am the most open minded person you would see. For a lot of people the very thought of Christmas is a nightmare because of the pressure it puts on their family's.

I beg to differ about the Halloween décor. Don't moan because they have no money from Christmas especially if it has been put into action earlier than expected. But even if they did moan and had money it would draw the attention of the advertising towards it and thus make it more impactful. I am not judging anyone. Whoever wants to celebrate Christmas early that's fine by me. I am the most open minded person you would see. For a lot of people the very thought of Christmas is a nightmare because of the pressure it puts on their family's.

The people who post here do so because they like Christmas and all things associated with it. We all have problems / issues but we still love Christmas. For me, this is the best forum on boards and I'm finding your posts are bringing negativity here. If you don't want to be Christmassy that's your choice but i also have a choice and I choose to be Christmassy. There's no obligation to post here so don't feel that you must.

If you find the truth to be a negative impact on your life I can see how that would be an issue. I'm stating my opinion you don't have to agree but give me the respect of speaking that opinion as I have the respect to take your opinion as it is. Do you not think if you are feeling negativity towards my stated opinion I feel negativity about your stated opinion. I guess it best to agree to disagree or is that also too negative.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

happy to agree to disagree ilikewaffles. Please read our forum charter as comments like it's only September are not tolerated. Simply put if you don't like Christmas as a whole don't post.

Now back to the festivities :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

You're more than welcome back when we have our Waffle Day celebration.

Only 177 days to go to Waffle Day 2017! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Posy wrote: »
    You're more than welcome back when we have our Waffle Day celebration.

Only 177 days to go to Waffle Day 2017! :D

I was making a list of food days the other day and I made sure I put Waffle Day on it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

The people who post here all year round and not just for a month or two are this exemplified, they are some of the most joyous, thoughtful and nicest people I've had the pleasure of interacting with on the internet. And these days isn't that what we all need more of.

But saying all that if you're still unconvinced by us being open I'm sure I can arrange to have us out of your hair until mid November. :)

Very well said. I don't post much but I read everything all year round and I always smile☺

happy to agree to disagree ilikewaffles. Please read our forum charter as comments like it's only September are not tolerated. Simply put if you don't like Christmas as a whole don't post.

Now back to the festivities :D

I do like Christmas not in September though. I like it being September in September call me grounded or a realist I am guilty of that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

But come on its 28th of September parents have not even finished getting over the pressures of the current school year people. Do I really have to point that out.

Dude Waffle Day is the 25th of MARCH. Please don't express your love of yummy cream, syrup and fruit covered waffley goodness this side of spring solstice. Thank you.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,537 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do like Christmas not in September though. I like it being September in September call me grounded or a realist I am guilty of that.

Christmas isn't compulsory in September tough neither is in December. There's certain things I don't like during the year but I don't participate in them if I don't want to.

Man. I was really enjoying my PB&B sandwich until I got thinking about waffles. Now my sandwich is sitting there all unloved while I can't get yummy, yummy, waffles out of my head.

I wonder how a PB&B waffle with cream would taste.........................

iguana wrote: »
    Dude Waffle Day is the 25th of MARCH. Please don't express your love of yummy cream, syrup and fruit covered waffley goodness this side of spring solstice. Thank you.:cool:

Should really check over my post's because I never mentioned anything your talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I completely understand where you are coming from. However this particular forum is Christmas all year round and that's what it says on the tin. Absolutely no harm in the folk here getting on with the Christmas thing, if they so wish.

If the Christmas posting was in AH's or similar, I'd expect your reaction. Outside of this forum Christmas is being discussed and planned by suppliers all over the world anyway. Its the Christmas forum. What did you actually expect?

Don't moan because they have no money from Christmas especially if it has been put into action earlier than expected.

I think you have that backwards. By planning in advance for upcoming known expenditures like Christmas it's easier to save and eliminate/minimise any financial hardship. EG, last year my son wanted a Batcave for Christmas. It cost €55 in Smyths but in September went on sale for €40. By planning in advance, I would have saved €15. Or by planning even further in advance, many families get rid of their toys during their spring clean. By buying my son's Batcave in April I got it for €18. Thinking about Christmas in April saved me €32.

Some people make Christmas items. I designed and knit my son's Batman Christmas jumper last year. It took me months, so starting to think about Christmas in late November would have been beyond pointless. I also wrote, illustrated and personally published two books about our family Christmas traditions for my son. Couldn't have done that without planning it all year. And I make some of his presents each year, so he has a few unique custom items in his stocking. That requires searching year round for bargain parts, learning and practicing techniques and planning the craft work. Starting in November would render my elf-work an expensive mess. So I will continue to plan little bits of my Christmas about 15 months in advance, thanks, otherwise many of my favourite parts just wouldn't happen.

No problem as this is a year round forum feel free to drop by when you think it is acceptable for Christmas to be discussed. Otherwise this really isn't the place for you.

Should really check over my post's because I never mentioned anything your talking about.

So are you not expressing your appreciation of waffles every time you post? Or have I got the type of waffle wrong and you're a fan of Birdseye Potato Waffles as opposed to the kind more associated with Belgium?

I think you have that backwards. By planning in advance for upcoming known expenditures like Christmas it's easier to save and eliminate/minimise any financial hardship. EG, last year my son wanted a Batcave for Christmas. It cost €55 in Smyths but in September went on sale for €40. By planning in advance, I would have saved €15. Or by planning even further in advance, many families get rid of their toys during their spring clean. By buying my son's Batcave in April I got it for €18. Thinking about Christmas in April saved me €32.

Some people make Christmas items. I designed and knit my son's Batman Christmas jumper last year. It took me months, so starting to think about Christmas in late November would have been beyond pointless. I also wrote, illustrated and personally published two books about our family Christmas traditions for my son. Couldn't have done that without planning it all year. And I make some of his presents each year, so he has a few unique custom items in his stocking. That requires searching year round for bargain parts, learning and practicing techniques and planning the craft work. Starting in November would render my elf-work an expensive mess. So I will continue to plan little bits of my Christmas about 15 months in advance, thanks, otherwise many of my favourite parts just wouldn't happen.

There is a big difference between being organized and forcing someone to except or not the idea of an early Christmas. What you're quoting is talking about summer holiday ad's your taking it out of context as it was an example of why people don't get bothered by them.
    So are you not expressing your appreciation of waffles every time you post? Or have I got the type of waffle wrong and you're a fan of Birdseye Potato Waffles as opposed to the kind more associated with Belgium?

Lots of different types of waffles I'm Irish and what would that be most closely be associated with. So you can't find any faults in my opinions about Christmas so you think you should have a go at my personal choice of username? Your a mod right do you think that type of behaviour is a wise direction to take a thread?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

But come on its 28th of September parents have not even finished getting over the pressures of the current school year people.

I've only ever posted in this forum once or twice, but I am married to one of the forum regulars and that has significantly changed my view of Christmas. Previously I would have been like you - wtf are people talking about Christmas for when it's only September (or April, or June...)? But then I realised that this forum isn't really about wanting it to be Christmas Day all year round, it's about wanting the joy and child-like happiness that's associated with Christmas to be all year round. And it certainly isn't about the financial pressures associated with Christmas, my wife was delighted when she saw the €1.50 Star Wars baubles in Dealz the week before last simply because it was Christmassy stuff in September. I'd imagine the rest of the forum regulars would have been equally happy to see them. Boards is a reflection of society as a whole, and both are becoming more cynical by the day. So while I personally have no particular interest in becoming a Christmas forum regular, it's nice to know that there's a little corner of Boards that's always happy, no matter what else is going on in the world. :)

• Advertisement

Ilikewaffles is going to be taking a month break from the forum. So let's leave all this too early talk behind us and get on with the busy build up period! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement