Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Loughc wrote: »
    Halloween isn't a season so decorating the house for it makes no sense to me.

Where as Christmas is a full season/period of the year so it makes much more sense celebrating it and decorating for it.

It's the celebration of autumn. That's a season. It was originally Celtic New Year and the end of second harvest. The last of the crops were brought in and people would bribe the spirits by leaving out a selection of their harvest goods to let them make it through the winter. It was basically a seasonal celebration of food, pretty much the same as the other 7 big celebrations. Although some of the spring/summer ones had as much if not more focus on sex than eating.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jude13

That seems a little scabby. I don't mind kids knocking, we moved into a new area there a year ago, it was fun seeing all the little kiddies dressed up. And the teenagers with binbag capes trying their luck! :p

I think its to stop kids being disappointed by getting nothing and to let people who don't celebrate it to relax. We have so many different cultures and nationality's here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I adore Halloween. I see it as a celebration of Autumn and all things cosy, darker evenings, brighter stars, smell of turf in the air, crispy leaves. And then the anticipation of the next few months. It's so exciting. It's most definitely a season for me. Starting at the beginning of October and culminating in Halloween night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jude13

Iguana, that is the exact same thing we got, someone must have moved from where you lived out here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I think it's a good idea too. Insures the children don't get people not answering half the time or giving out to them about trick or treaters!

I like Halloween because it's a bank holiday. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I hate Halloween. :D We usually go to the cinema but if there's nothing on we'll just ignore the door. We're not horrible people, and no one usually calls anyway, but it's just not our thing. I do like seeing the decorations on houses though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

So so so excited! We always do a late lunch on christmas eve, once all the prep the the day itself is sorted. Last year was a wash out as we didn't get to book our normal haunt as they decided not to take bookings and everywhere seemed packed so I was on the ball this year. I've just booked afternoon tea for us all, they have the cutest kids afternoon menu and I cannot wait to do this with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Cork2015!

So so so excited! We always do a late lunch on christmas eve, once all the prep the the day itself is sorted. Last year was a wash out as we didn't get to book our normal haunt as they decided not to take bookings and everywhere seemed packed so I was on the ball this year. I've just booked afternoon tea for us all, they have the cutest kids afternoon menu and I cannot wait to do this with the kids.

oh that sounds fab, what kind of things do they have for the kids is it all christmas themed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Cork2015! wrote: »
    oh that sounds fab, what kind of things do they have for the kids is it all christmas themed?

Not christmas themed but it's choc milk, ham sandwiches, blueberry scones, choc mousse and some homemade marshmallows. I love doing afternoon tea and I think this will be a lovely experience, plus it'll be dark once we finish so we can go light watching on the journey home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

saw Christmas pudding in my local Tesco today, I don't like Christmas pudding but it made me super excited ahaha I think I'll be buying wrapping paper soon, I really like this one I saw in Debenhams, its about 12€ for 4 rolls, if anyone could comment on the quality I'd be really thankful. Would hate to spend that much on beautiful paper only for it to be too thin :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I hate Halloween. :D We usually go to the cinema but if there's nothing on we'll just ignore the door. We're not horrible people, and no one usually calls anyway, but it's just not our thing. I do like seeing the decorations on houses though.

You meaney! And you a mod on festivities and posting on a Christmas forum.

Make Halloween your thing!

I think the three day weekend definitely makes Halloween a positive experience! Better than going from August to December with no long weekends! :eek:

Heard on the radio that John Lewis has a tree decorating service. They'll come to your house (if you're in London) and decorate it for you. I like decorating my own tree!

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/christmas-2016-john-lewis-launch-new-450-tree-decorating-service-a3368501.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Heard on the radio that John Lewis has a tree decorating service. They'll come to your house (if you're in London) and decorate it for you. I like decorating my own tree!

I love decorating my own tree. I imagine it'll suit the executives who are too busy to decorate themselves but still want to throw the dinner parties. Also best job ever!!

Loughc wrote: »
    I love decorating my own tree. I imagine it'll suit the executives who are too busy to decorate themselves but still want to throw the dinner parties. Also best job ever!!

Absolutely! Living the dream if you have that job. It's a bit seasonal though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Absolutely! Living the dream if you have that job. It's a bit seasonal though. :D

Well for the rest of the year you could be sourcing new decorations and designing new Christmas designs and displays!

John Lewis: "It really takes the misery out of making tea decorating your tree"

Toto: "Maybe I like the misery"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Just catching up on the posts here. For the person who was asking for pics of halloween decorations ill post some before weekend is over. We are one of those estates that go all out ! Which is brilliant because I love decorating for halloween ! I theme it every year , this year is a witches house theme and the garden won't be done til the day of halloween ( normally due to weather !)

On a side note today was the first day Mr glitz and I had off together while mini glitz were in school so we decided to stroll through the shops , heatons have some of their Christmas stock out ! :D it was lovely strolling through the shops looking at Christmas and stopping for a hot choc and a muffin in Costa ! It was lovely and festive !! :) plus I am in a serious baking mood for this weekend !

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Just catching up on the posts here. For the person who was asking for pics of halloween decorations ill post some before weekend is over. We are one of those estates that go all out ! Which is brilliant because I love decorating for halloween ! I theme it every year , this year is a witches house theme and the garden won't be done til the day of halloween ( normally due to weather !)

On a side note today was the first day Mr glitz and I had off together while mini glitz were in school so we decided to stroll through the shops , heatons have some of their Christmas stock out ! :D it was lovely strolling through the shops looking at Christmas and stopping for a hot choc and a muffin in Costa ! It was lovely and festive !! :) plus I am in a serious baking mood for this weekend !

This is one of my favourite things to do as well!!! We were in Woodies today and the were putting up the christmas stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Lighting the fire for the first time this winter happened today. Mrs G and little G are tucked up in front of it watching Alvin and the Chipmunks - Roadchip. Turf and logs! Little G was off school today with a sore throat. Spent the day on the couch being a difficult patient, but under a Christmas themed duvet. Working from home has its benefits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

lycan238 wrote: »
    Greetings fellow Christmas Forums members. I wish to inquire about the availability of fellow members on Thursday morning. I intend to make a trip to Dublin to once again enjoy the delights of the Christmas Market in Brown Thomas. If any of my fellow members notice me feel free to say hello. I will be the man with the black coat and green tie :)
    miamee wrote: »
    Arnotts also have a Christmas shop open in the basement if you happen to be nearby :)

Only got your message now Miamee I had no internet with me. Nearly 3 days without it. I bought a few things excited to get them out of the packaging and on display.
    Jude13 wrote: »
    I love Halloween but we never put up decorations for it. If we produced some halloween 'art' at school it would be put up but apart from that. Actually a skeleton on the door.

Im the estate I live now the residents association has sent a circular around telling kids to only knock on doors that have a decoration on them an no later than 9pm.

I agree with this. With so many different cultures it is hard to realise what houses celebrate hallowe'n and who doesn't. In saying that this will be my 3rd Hallowe'n in my current house and no visitors in previous 2 years.

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    This is one of my favourite things to do as well!!! We were in Woodies today and the were putting up the christmas stock!

Snap ! I called in to my local woodies , long story short heatons had some lovely little houses ( sorry can't remember the names) you know the ones you use to make a village scene ?? And wanted to see if woodies had some to compare against before I bought the ones in woodies ! But my local woodies only had the trees up, kicked myself then I should have bought the ones in heatons ! :p :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Snap ! I called in to my local woodies , long story short heatons had some lovely little houses ( sorry can't remember the names) you know the ones you use to make a village scene ?? And wanted to see if woodies had some to compare against before I bought the ones in woodies ! But my local woodies only had the trees up, kicked myself then I should have bought the ones in heatons ! :p :pac:

My local woodies (tallaght) had them houses out yesterday glitz, 24.99 for I think maybe 5 houses a little tree or 2 and a lamp post, battery operated. They had a lot of stuff out and lots more boxes ready to be unpacked..

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

My local woodies was just putting them day. They were almost finished. They had trees decorated too, lovely! They had those houses you're talking abut. I'm not sure what rice they were. Heatons does lovely stuff for Christmas. Last year. Decorated the bathroom and got stuff in heatons, soap holders, toothbrush holders, Christmas towels and hand cloths! They had all sorts! I just couldn't bring myself to buy the toilet seat cover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

I don't know if any of you are watching the Late Late but the applications to be in the audience of the Toy Show are officially open from now!!! Best of luck to all the Christmas boardies! :D Hopefully there will be another one of us representing the thread like the lovely glitzgirl last year! :)

A_smurf wrote: »
    I don't know if any of you are watching the Late Late but the applications to be in the audience of the Toy Show are officially open from now!!! Best of luck to all the Christmas boardies! :D Hopefully there will be another one of us representing the thread like the lovely glitzgirl last year! :)

I just came on to post about the application being open !! Thanks A_smurf for the lovely mention :)

It's just my luck thay my local woodies didnt have any up !! Heatons had some lovely ones with moving trains and lights all battery operated for between 10 -20 euro. I may need to pop back down again :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So excited about the application being open. Best of luck fellow elves! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Indeed I shall apply the best of luck to all.

• Advertisement

I applied but I still think they should just be offering tickets to the posters from this forum for services to Christmas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement