Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Some more halloween decorations for inspiration. Would love to do something like this for Christmas, not sure it would take off though!

And I get to go to brown Thomas tomorrow, have held off until now but I cannot wait! Might have to drop into the Disney store too.. . . . Would be rude not to!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I was in town today, I saw the brown Thomas window display and the Marks & Spencer's Christmas Shop. M&S have some lovely stuff. Their packaging is so good. BT is just fab as usual and they drew some crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

First mince pies today. Boom!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I need to visit the Arnotts and M&S christmas shops next week- the excitement!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »
    I was in town today, I saw the brown Thomas window display and the Marks & Spencer's Christmas Shop. M&S have some lovely stuff. Their packaging is so good. BT is just fab as usual and they drew some crowd.

We might have been there at the same time and didn't even know it!

We bought a decoration but it took a long time. I wasn't convinced by any of them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

I forgot to mention I went to the Disney store when I was in Dublin just one week ago. They had some lovely stuff nothing for me though. Yeah lots of choice in BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Was in M&S too today! They have some lovely candles and decorations - I feel that not all of their christmas stock is out yet though, like there is still more to come! After seeing the candles in the shop today, I think I'll just purchase online.

Dnunes have some really lovely christmassy cushions too!

Have my fruit soaking in brandy for the Christmas cake, to be made tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

The Arnotts Christmas department is awful this year, I thought :( Shoved away in the basement in a square room. And the trees were very unimpressive :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

Alicat wrote: »
    The Arnotts Christmas department is awful this year, I thought :( Shoved away in the basement in a square room. And the trees were very unimpressive :(

I wonder if it's only partially set up? Halloween is in a week so it could be improved unpon uptil the first week or two of November!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jude13

Really ramping up now. I was in a suit shop yesterday and they have a piano player who was playing jazzy christmas music. Took me while to notice.

I also went to the hardware shop and they have their full displays out. I wasn't allowed to go over by my OH, I sound like a toddler. Her reasoning was that I am home for a week next week without her so it would be something to look forward to the week I am back. I did however see 6 foot Santas and Christmas trains and village settings. I will throw some pics up in two weeks when I am 'allowed' in.

Home the 30th until the 3rd Nov and need to get all my decoration shopping done. Plus by loads of white pudding and a few hams to bring back.

Does anyone know where I would get a nice nativity scene in Dublin, preferably small as it will be going in a suitcase?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Jude13 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I would get a nice nativity scene in Dublin, preferably small as it will be going in a suitcase?

We got a crib/nativity scene in Stock on King Street last year. It's wooden and made of lovely brightly coloured pieces. Not at all traditional but very pretty and quirky.

Anyway, that's me checking in to this thread for the first time this year. Hi everyone! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Welcome Heroditas :D

Cheers for that Heroditas, I will look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

Jude13 wrote:
    I'll just leave this here

Yipes! Looks amazing though.

Staying at a hotel in town the 22nd - 24th to do some shopping, fire side hot chocolates, a meeting point for pals I get to see once a year and boozing. The will have to drag me out of the place.

Staying at a hotel in town the 22nd - 24th to do some shopping, fire side hot chocolates, a meeting point for pals I get to see once a year and boozing. The will have to drag me out of the place.

Sounds amazing!

Sounds amazing!

Really looking forward to it, when we are home we invariably stay with either set of folks, we also drive for half the holiday as she is from outside of the pale. Hopefully it will be a nice chilled out time.

Ya never know we could have a little boards hot chocolate meet up.

Ah you can't beat the Christmas pints!!!

• Advertisement

I wonder if it's only partially set up? Halloween is in a week so it could be improved unpon uptil the first week or two of November!

I wish! But after speaking to someone who works in Arnotts, I think it is what it is. I think I'll try Brown Thomas next week!

I don't know how to explain it but I had a cup of tea this morning and it tasted like Christmas tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My Christmas cake went into the oven at 10.45 so should be ready by 3.15! It's starting to smell nice now!!

Speaking of hotels at christmas, i'm going for festive afternoon tea in Hayfield Manor on 3rd December - cant wait!

So disappointed with brown Thomas Christmas shop, smaller than previous years and didn't really like any of the tree decorations. The little moving figures and snow globes were nice but I left a sad bunny

I always find the BT Chrimbo store a bit weird to be honest, I guess my taste is more tacky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I was a little bit shocked yesterday to see that Debenhams on Henry Street seems to be fully decorated for Christmas already. Christmas trees are up and ceiling decorations too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I got my nativity scene in Stock too a couple of years ago- it was just the figures, not a crib, so they came in a little flat(ish) box with the figures in polystyrene, perfect for packing.

I wish! But after speaking to someone who works in Arnotts, I think it is what it is. I think I'll try Brown Thomas next week!

I don't know how to explain it but I had a cup of tea this morning and it tasted like Christmas tea.

Jesus you sound like my fiancee! Haha

Jesus you sound like my fiancee! Haha

About disappointing shopping experiences or things that 'taste/feel' like Christmas? :pac:

So disappointed with brown Thomas Christmas shop, smaller than previous years and didn't really like any of the tree decorations. The little moving figures and snow globes were nice but I left a sad bunny

I didn't like the tree decorations either. I'd decide on one and then decide I didn't really like it and choose another and decide I didn't like that and this went on for ages until I decided that maybe we didn't need to buy anything. In the end we bought a very traditional looking Santa. It's totally different to what I thought I'd buy but it's lovely.

• Advertisement

About disappointing shopping experiences or things that 'taste/feel' like Christmas? :pac:

The tea tasting like Christmas!! She opens it the same way - "I know this sounds weird..."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement