Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Loughc wrote: »
    HMV are currently selling the bluray for this for €6.93 bargain!

Did HMV not close down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I've just seen that penneys are doing Toy Show Pjs, I am so so excited!!!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Did HMV not close down

They still operate online.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

File didn't attach earlier, hopefully will now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Loughc wrote: »
    It's gone the other way where I live, it's like every second house is decorated for Halloween up here.

And last year it was the first year we ran out of trick or treat goodies so many people called in. I thought it's getting more popular if anything.

I wonder if it has to do with neighborhoods so which is actually pretty interesting :D

In my house we only run out of sweets cause I eat them all :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

Did HMV not close down

Xtra Vision closed down, HMV in Dublin is still open, but like Loughc said, Xtra Vision are still online

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I thought they were all closed too... the ones on Henry Street and Grafton Street are closed anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I thought they were all closed too... the ones on Henry Street and Grafton Street are closed anyway.

All the HMV stores are closed but they still operate an Irish online store and their prices are really cheap. Prob as now they don't have the store overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Saw loads of Christmas stuff in Ikea today! Felt so festive, and really well priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I'm sitting down after a loooonnng week with a Chinese, a drink and my iPad and debit card :pac: bad combo ! on the plus side Jingle all the way is playing in the background.

There is some difference shopping here with the sterling exchange rate. I saw a gorgeous leather faux fur coat and a few stunning tops in quiz in debenhams. coat was almost 90 euro and top nearly 40. Ordered both from UK and got both for 93 euro with free delivery !! :)
    Have also just informed Mr glitz that I've ordered the Elfie Selfie duvet cover for our bedroom. Currently reduced in little woods ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I have officially given up on painting and decorating for the next three days as I have such a busy long weekend with 4 parties, a halloween event and trick or treating to fit into the next 72 hours. So I've just decorated the half painted livingroom for Halloween. Despite one half of the room being pale yellow and the other half being dirty grubby off-white it actually looks good, really festive.

And the step ladder and power tools in one corner of the room can be explained away as scary Halloween stuff right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Ok ladies which one of you were in Argos Jervis Street today with a Christmas handbag?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

kitten_k wrote: »
    Ok ladies which one of you were in Argos Jervis Street today with a Christmas handbag?

This forum is great for getting ideas for new Christmas things. :D

Someone in work was playing a Christmas song a couple of days this week. I think they were preparing a Christmas campaign but it's a different company to mine so I'm not sure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

kitten_k wrote: »
    There are Christmas handbags now?! :eek:
    Must. Buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I was in town earlier had a wander around the arnotts Christmas shop for the first time this year I've heard Christmas music can't wait till it's on every where
    I seen some cute nutcracker men tree decorations there, town O'Connell Street etc is hard to get around with all the digging for Luas, I waited for ages to get a taxi home the rank is tiny due to them digging up and my other cab place I normally go to looks to be shut too because of the road works
    Guineys had cute table cloths I bought one last year and two runners I bought one runner for a sideboard and it makes it look extra special for Christmas the ones I got last year I just kinda made do with coz there was nothing else it's an off cream with Holly embroidered in gold, the one I seen today was like my aunts I was very tempted, I'm tempted to go back what you think elves should I have got it? It's cream and gold, gold embroidered Christmas trees with cut out detail

• Registered Users Posts: 30,538 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I bought my first Christmas present last weekend!
    I can't wait until Tuesday and the Shops start filling the Halloween space with Christmas stuff! Also clearly looking forward to mince pies. We've sort of a little rule that we don't have them until November!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

I bought my first Christmas present last weekend! I can't wait until Tuesday and the Shops start filling the Halloween space with Christmas stuff! Also clearly looking forward to mince pies. We've sort of a little rule that we don't have them until November!

Oh, mince pies!

I can't wait to have my first one of the season!
    I also normally don't eat them until November or almost end of.
    It's better that way. It gets you even more excited. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We brought the toddler into a bike shop today to fit him for a suitable balance bike. We all then fell in love with a very unsuitable trike which he will not get as long out of, would take up way too much space, would look scuffed and wrecked within minutes of him bringing it out with his little friends and costs 4 times the price. It's so cute. Very vintagey looking I think.

We are NOT getting it. Although, we also didn't buy the very appropriate and sensible balance bike even though it was on sale so..............

Whispered wrote: »
    We brought the toddler into a bike shop today to fit him for a suitable balance bike. We all then fell in love with a very unsuitable trike which he will not get as long out of, would take up way too much space, would look scuffed and wrecked within minutes of him bringing it out with his little friends and costs 4 times the price. It's so cute. Very vintagey looking I think.

We are NOT getting it. Although, we also didn't buy the very appropriate and sensible balance bike even though it was on sale so..............

The trike sounds lovely but balance bikes are honestly the BEST thing ever for little kids. Once S got the hang of it we more or less stopped using the buggy as it's perfect for mid-length journeys and he has so much fun and independence. During the summer at just past 3 and half he got on a proper bike for the first time and was cycling properly after a couple of minutes, even using the brake to slow down and stop on his first cycle because he'd learned all the 'tough' stuff on the balance bike. He still uses the balance bike for transport and the proper bike for fun. It's just brilliant. He's only ever used his trike sporadically and never to actually get anywhere because they require a lot of effort to get anywhere fast. It's just for playing in the back garden on, though it was good he knew how to pedal when he started cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,538 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Picked some sprouts tonight for our turkey and ham dinner tomorrow!
    14882374_1724717534517527_6643597988885891364_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

14883443_1724716871184260_3516593264990458688_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

I bought about 6 of the Aldi Christmas Puddings last year, and whilst looking for something at the end of the press earlier, I found one....It was nearly a year old, and it was just devine today with load of custard and ice cream. A pretaste of all that is come....

In rathdrum caravanning for the bank holiday weekend and they have started Christmas island.. I'm here after having a walk around listening to Christmas fm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

A question on the Christmas Eve boxes, if it's ok to ask. Are they opened in the morning or the evening of the day? First year doing them and trying to get it right from the get go. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

amor3 wrote: »
    In rathdrum caravanning for the bank holiday weekend and they have started Christmas island.. I'm here after having a walk around listening to Christmas fm!

Ah would ya stop! Went last year for the first time and it was the best experience yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

matchthis wrote: »
    A question on the Christmas Eve boxes, if it's ok to ask. Are they opened in the morning or the evening of the day? First year doing them and trying to get it right from the get go. Thanks in advance

Generally the evening, just before bed (maybe 2 hours or so), we're putting Christmas PJ's and hot chocolate in ours so we'll have it opened in the evening and watch a movie. :)

I think Christmas eve boxes are generally a late afternoon/evening thing as they tend to have things in them for cosy evening activities like bath/movie/hot chocolate/maybe pjs. So you give them when you have come home from whatever you were out doing during the day and are settling in to wait for sleep and Santa. But they are a fairly new idea and anything goes. If your plan was to stay in all day you could give them in the morning or if there was something special you wanted to do in the day, cinema/ice-skating/etc you could give the box in the morning and it could have the tickets in it. We do a 'north pole breakfast' on Christmas eve morning, so I our gnome gives the details of our day then. And we do the Christmas eve box when we come home in the evening.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Ah would ya stop! Went last year for the first time and it was the best experience yet!

Yeah we do a different santa trip every year and first time doing Christmas island last year. Loved it.. have to say I absolutely hate Halloween but it is great down here!

Halloween decorating finally finished with the carving of the accidentally homegrown pumpkin. Here are the pics. And yes, one wall in my livingroom is two different colours due to me giving up on painting for the weekend.

296c8kn.png
    2z409ib.png
    xf1c7.png
    t8md6q.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I was at a Christmas Trade Warehouse yesterday :D

All the squeals!

400386.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It's a gorgeous day out there today so of course I've spent it in my Elf jammies (which I changed into after having a shower this morning) watching Home Alone and eating a giant Toblerone. It's the most wonderful time of the year!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement