Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Malari wrote:
    First mince pies of the season!

Yum!!!

Funnily enough, I spent all afternoon stuck in the kitchen clearing out my presses and just happened to find a box of mince pies in one of them, at the very back.
    Had to throw them out cuz obviously they were old but needless to say made me look forward to eating one soon that much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

My hairdressers had their Christmas decs up when I was in yesterday. They have the same mirrors that I have in my hall - I spent the whole time looking at the garlands so that I can copy them! Next app that I have there is the week before Christmas! Eeek, it's getting close :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Oh my God, did you see the picture that Christmas FM posted of a listener's decorations? They've had them up since November 1st and they're fab.

Which one of you is it. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Turkey dinner! Wanted to try out a crown instead of a full turkey for the big day :)

That looks amazing!! How was it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Oh my God, did you see the picture that Christmas FM posted of a listener's decorations? They've had them up since November 1st and they're fab.

Which one of you is it. :D

I actually came on to post the pix of it.

33c4phe.jpg

Seriously fab tree! Serious Christmas goals right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

What is all this discussion about Christmas Tree's. I was in a location somewhere in Dublin last Friday no not the 4th the Friday before that Oh My Goodness the Tree they had out was oh so nice makes my 4 maybe 5ft version look tiny. I have my window decorated and the pictures for the rest of the windows here in front of me to put up some of these weeks. Tree will go up weekend of Toy Show not same day as I have work party maybe that Sunday I hope Toy Show is repeated on the Sunday like it used to be.

The Toy Show should be repeated on Sunday and available on the RTÉ player.

Ah here I only have 1 computer and no I don't have a smartphone how am I meant to keep you folks here updated decoration by decoration if I have Toy Show on RTE Player. Well that may be a bit of an overstatement it will take my like 2 minutes to put tree up its already decorated just have to put lights on it. I took the easy way out last year bought a pre decorated version .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

That's why they have adds :D

matchthis wrote: »
    That's why they have adds :D

for what? I could put my tree up during one add break including the lights. Also why the hell would someone leave putting tree up until during the Friday night show unless the worked late and like me lived alone and did not do it night before. Hey that is a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Loughc wrote: »
    That looks amazing!! How was it?

It was really nice. Moist and flavoursome, couldn't ask for more. I like turkey at Christmas but I hate having to pick it all apart to get all the meat, and no one likes leg meat here. This seems like a good option, the one we had tonight was a 2kg one and there's definitely enough left for 2 more dinners so will prob get a slightly bigger one for Christmas.

I had no cranberry sauce and very little juice from the turkey so no gravy, had to make do with the lidl fig chutney ;0)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Jude13

Loughc wrote: »
    I actually came on to post the pix of it.

33c4phe.jpg

Seriously fab tree! Serious Christmas goals right there.

This will be used as exhibit number 1 the case of Jude vrs his Oh who will want to wait until December.

I have a relative/visitor arriving this Wednesday for two weeks so its kind of going to be Christmassy, catching up, glass of wine on school night and some good food.

The weather is glorious today. Lovely and cold. Perfect Christmas Day weather! (Apart from snow, obviously!)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The weather is glorious today. Lovely and cold. Perfect Christmas Day weather! (Apart from snow, obviously!)

We have a full covering of frost outside today. It was nice to get up to a crisp white lawn. S was intrigued to stand on it and find it was 'crunchy.'

iguana wrote: »
    We have a full covering of frost outside today. It was nice to get up to a crisp white lawn. S was intrigued to stand on it and find it was 'crunchy.'

One of my favourite sounds, walking on frosty grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Made for a fairly brisk feeling cycle to work anyway! I never usually feel the Christmas buzz so early, but really feeling it this year! First one as a married man!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭DenMan

I cut the front garden on Saturday and today cut the back. They may be the last cuts of the year. Roll on Winter and the countdown to Christmas. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Tried to get cranberries in a couple of places today and no luck! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi Malari, a bit on the early side yet...there is usually loads available, nearer to the Big Date !!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Hi Malari, a bit on the early side yet...there is usually loads available, nearer to the Big Date !!

Yeah, I just figured ALL the other xmas food is around! And they are in season.

• Advertisement

Why is that post from a few years back coming back to haunt me. I posted on the 4th of Nov a few years back "jack why so early could you not have waited a few weeks" and every year since within a handful of days we have had a night of good frost last night was this years obviously.

In saying that it made for an interesting walk to work. I don't start til 10 and live a 5 min walk away so most of the slippyness was gone at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Hello elves ! A very productive day here today! :) after a disastrous episode yesterday where I discovered Mr glitz actually had no more half decent clothes left :pac: I raided his wardrobe and smuggled in a load of new clothes. Poor man nearly died when he opened his wardrobe and pulled out a pair of slim leg jeans or skinnies as he calls them ! :)

Kids in bed me glitz is watching some batman film and I'm in my christmas pjs putting up some decorations while I have the time ! I've also stated making up some of the sweet treat bags for the toy show and christmas eve boxes.

Christmas shoe boxes are all done and ready to go into schools

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Well, I have been having a hard time looking forward to Christmas or doing any planning this year because we have a lot of uncertainty ahead of us with jobs and don't know what country we'll be living in by NYE! But I decided we needed something to look forward to, so tonight we booked ourselves a weekend in Edinburgh in December. We'll go to the zoo to see the pandas and then into the city for the markets and gluhwein and yummy food and atmosphere. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Well, I have been having a hard time looking forward to Christmas or doing any planning this year because we have a lot of uncertainty ahead of us with jobs and don't know what country we'll be living in by NYE! But I decided we needed something to look forward to, so tonight we booked ourselves a weekend in Edinburgh in December. We'll go to the zoo to see the pandas and then into the city for the markets and gluhwein and yummy food and atmosphere.

Hopefully it will all work out for you with your job!
    Edinburgh is a gorgeous city, went a few years ago around this time of year and they were just starting to put up the decorations, have always planned on going back just for the markets but haven't got around to it yet, maybe I'll be more organised next year!! Hope you enjoy yourself!

Well, I have been having a hard time looking forward to Christmas or doing any planning this year because we have a lot of uncertainty ahead of us with jobs and don't know what country we'll be living in by NYE! But I decided we needed something to look forward to, so tonight we booked ourselves a weekend in Edinburgh in December. We'll go to the zoo to see the pandas and then into the city for the markets and gluhwein and yummy food and atmosphere. :)

Lovely idea. That sounds fab!

Congrats DenMan, what's the difference this year? all good right? I'll be the same next year, not nervous at all, pft.

Glitzgirl, where do you find the time!

Mystery Egg, I hope it all works out for you. Its amazing how adaptable you are when put in these situations. I lost my job about 8-9 years ago and had to emigrate. I have made great friends, experienced so much and most importantly it hasn't affected my Christmas spirit.

Yesterday was day 1 of the real Christmas countdown for me. We went to a big mall here, I set the car up with the Home Alone 1 soundtrack (first time playing it) and when the OH got in the car instead of rolling her eyes she was excited and saying "this bit is when kevin is..etc". Off to the mall where we picked up some decorations, two christmas mugs and 6 sets of antlers fro humans.

We will be having a Christmas Dinner the 18th Nov as her brother will be over and it will double as a Christmas jumper party. We are only here a year and haven't a huge circle of pals, but the ones who will be invited will think we are mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Headed into Dublin city centre last Saturday morning to get shoes for one of the kids and it was also a perfect excuse to show them done of the decorations. Butlers on the corner of South William Street looks amazing.
    We were also up in Liffey Valley on Sunday but a absolutely no decorations up whatsoever. It looked like Marks were starting to do their window displays but nothing else in the whole of the centre. I reckon they'll be up by the end of this week. Liffey Valley is always a week or two behind for some reason.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The decorations in Blancahrdstown Centre are all up and on if you're looking for something to show the kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

For those of you with small kids here is a good craft idea:

14492328_1088206417895955_791460493332325328_n.jpg?oh=cd0b9fe9f05cc25f606f770e5bda87bd&oe=58915F57

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Heroditas wrote: »
    We were also up in Liffey Valley on Sunday but a absolutely no decorations up whatsoever. It looked like Marks were starting to do their window displays but nothing else in the whole of the centre. I reckon they'll be up by the end of this week. Liffey Valley is always a week or two behind for some reason.
    Yankee Candle would be the only one, it's Christmassy in there before Halloween!
    miamee wrote: »
    The decorations in Blanchardstown Centre are all up and on if you're looking for something to show the kids :D
    Dundrum is all Christmassy too, lights and decorations everywhere!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement