Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Toots wrote: »
    I've a 'Sparkling Cinnamon' yankee candle lit right now, and it smells exactly like mulled wine! It's beautiful! I was in settling my little boy, and when I opened the door to come out of the bedroom, the smell was so realistic I actually thought my hubby was mulling wine in the kitchen :pac:

I'm wondering can ye pudding pros give me a bit of advice; how early is too early to make one? I'm doing 2 this year - a traditional one, and a frying one (it's my Grandma's recipe, she was from the North) and I'd be concerned that they'd be gone off by Christmas, but also want to get a move on before all the ingredients are sold out.

In England the tradition is to make it on the last Sunday before the start of advent. It's called Stir-Up-Sunday and this year is next Sunday. So I suppose any time around now would be good. The tradition is nice though, as everyone in the house takes a turn at stirring the mixture and as they do they make wishes for the coming year.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

I think if you have plenty of alcohol in the pudding, it wont go off. I know i.v kept them in the past, and used them around Easter with no problem.....

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

There's booze in the traditional one but not the frying one. I think I'll do the trad one this weekend and then buy the ingredients for the other one but hold off for another few weeks before making that one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I usually do my cake around September and my pudding in October and they're always grand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Jude13

We always do the stiring of the pudding so much so that months prior to Christmas, a I generally am not home until just before Christmas, my mum would make me stir some flour/fruit that she would then keep and use in the pudding.

I need some movie guidance, after a very heavy day over the weekend the next day was a couch day. We threw on 'A Christmas Story', after 10 mins I was told to switch it off as it was pants. The reviews seem good though, whats the craic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

I've my puddings done this two weeks. If you've enough booze in them, they'll be grand. I just take mine out once every 10 days or so and check that they are ok. If I think they are too dry, then I stick a prong in them and feed in more whiskey. They are always grand come Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Didn't make it to the lights yesterday.. getting the house ready for santa.. which means pulling everything apart to sort it. Got lots of new furniture in ikea Saturday so had a flat pack assembly day yesterday.. really enjoyed it. Had Christmas fm blarring, mugs of hot chocolate and even opened up a tin of roses. Can wait to finish painting and up with the decorations!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

amor3 wrote: »
    Didn't make it to the lights yesterday..

They really need to make it a ticketed event at this stage. 15,000 people showed up!

I am wearing my new Christmas jumper in work and I'm LOVING it. Bought it last weekend in Belfast, I'm delighted with myself. Hopefully the fact it's from Matalan which you don't get here means I won't see a zillion people wearing it over the next 6 weeks! :p

Can't believe that in 2 weeks time I'm going to be in New York! Soaking up the sights of an NYC Christmas. SO EXCITED!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

It's official christmas season even for the grinchs! :) lights are on now no denying it. I'm currently trying to clean and prep the house. We have some friends calling over on Sunday for dinner , so I decided ill be doing a full christmas day dinner and I cant wait !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I was at the lights, the crowds were insane, much more people than the last few years. We left after the lights were turned on but I heard on the radio this morning the event had to be cut short due to crowd safety fears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    We have some friends calling over on Sunday for dinner , so I decided ill be doing a full christmas day dinner and I cant wait !! :)

I did brussels sprouts with our dinner yesterday - they were delish! And defo put me in the Christmas mood! :D

So which theme would everyone prefer? mine would be Nostalgic Noel.

15037148_1175380605878205_2281640551356006483_n.jpg?oh=aa614dd3183962060eaba8193aa78b69&oe=58C2F03E

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Festive glamour I think. Very warm looking.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Nostalgic or Deck The Halls.

I can't STAND the cold looking white and blue Christmasses.

I do love nordic style in general. Me and fairisle. It's intense. :p

kitten_k wrote: »

15037148_1175380605878205_2281640551356006483_n.jpg?oh=aa614dd3183962060eaba8193aa78b69&oe=58C2F03E

What site is that pic from? allot of the pics on here are just like a little postage stamp thing, IT are cracking down on the access to certain sites for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Definitely Deck the Halls!

Jude13 wrote: »
    What site is that pic from? allot of the pics on here are just like a little postage stamp thing, IT are cracking down on the access to certain sites for me.

It is from the Dealz Facebook page (link in the Christmas Competitions page)

ahh yeah facebook is blocked here. booo

I think the Sainsbury's ad is my favourite this year. For the 3rd year running.

^^ Had to switch it off halfway through that. I tried, it just seems to annoy me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭Milly33

I would be Deck the Halls all the way..... Thats a very long add, but do like it.. I must say i love the Lidl One weak for it, it is what it is all about http://www.her.ie/life/lidls-christmas-advert-will-bring-a-tear-to-your-eye/319738

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Jude13 wrote: »
    ^^ Had to switch it off halfway through that. I tried, it just seems to annoy me.

Its the accent on the singing i couldnt stand,turned it off after about 20 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

I'm also Nostalgic Noel.

All 4 are pretty!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

So which theme would everyone prefer?
    Festive glamour! :)

They're all lovely except for winter wonderland which is just too blue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

I prefer a nice Red theme at Christmas with accents of Gold Silver and Green. Out of the 4 I would probably choose the white tree but decorated like a combination of the Nostalgic Noel and Festive Glamour however that is my taste. A green tree with White on it suits me also but some year I will get that white tree I have always desired.

My husband tweeted a photo of S's birthday cake to the page of the cartoon the cake was based on and one of the show's writers tweeted back about what an amazing cake it was. :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It's a tie between Festive Glamour and Nostalgic Noel for me. My decoration style is kinda a mix of both. Some day when I win the lotto, I'll have one of my sitting rooms decorated one way, and the other done the other way :pac: Oh and Jeeves the butler will do the dusting...

None of those float my boat. I like way more colour, glitz and general silliness. I love having the house that kids come into and feel like they are in a super magical wonderland.

Stuck the Christmas collar on the dog today, so she's looking nice and festive. She also has a Christmas sweater, but the weather has been a bit mild the last couple of days, so I thought I'd leave that off so she doesn't overheat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The weather has been so mild lately! I'm missing the cold weather!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement