Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

iguana wrote: »
    They'll swap no bother once the batbot is still in all it's original packaging. However the Batbot os on sale at the moment so they will only let you change for the current value. I think that means about a €14 difference with the batcave and that is the same price as the small Imaginext figures and vehicles. So they'd almost certainly let you take a small vehicle pack and batcave for the batbot. Batgirl's batcylce is particularly cool and would be the kind of thing Santa would leave with a batcave.

Haha.. we have batgirl and batcycle already in the collection. It's actually the transforming batcave that's on his list, he has the original batcave but would like the transforming one (I know, first world problems!) I have tried to sway him towards the batbot, i think it's actually better. But you know, at 6 years old you can't really compete with an imaginext expert ;-)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

amor3 wrote: »
    Haha.. we have batgirl and batcycle already in the collection. It's actually the transforming batcave that's on his list, he has the original batcave but would like the transforming one (I know, first world problems!) I have tried to sway him towards the batbot, i think it's actually better. But you know, at 6 years old you can't really compete with an imaginext expert ;-)

Transforming batcave is on sale too, so that's why it's still €14 cheaper. I agree the batbot is way better, that's an awesome toy (though it's a pity there isn't a button on the remote to shoot the discs). The Transforming batcave looks a bit like it's made up of pieces of the Power Rangers Megazord and makes no sense. Red Robin and the Flash in his wheel are €14 too, so one could be gotten with the batcave in exchange for the batbot, if you don't already have them. (Or any other toy for similar price). They should exchange no bother. We went in last week with one of S's birthday presents that he had already and they swapped it without question. (Superman and Doomsday for Bane and his Battle Sled.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

I havent gotten to celebrate christmas in five years, I am not missing out this year! My tree is going up by December 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Jude13

Tree up (pic in the Christmas tree pic thread). Had a very heavy Friday night and a 5:30am wake up as our visitor was heading to the airport. I could not get back asleep.
    Unpacked all the Christmas stuff and put up the tree, first set of lights nearly killed me as the was a exposed wire near the box, it had broken being packaged. So off to the hardware store. More lights, decs and a festive dickie bow for the dog.

Got to house and crashed. My OH had to finish the tree. Had Christmas tunes on and tried hair of the dog mulled wine but my hangover would not leave.

We watched the Grinch, Jim Carey version, did not care for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

iguana wrote: »
    Transforming batcave is on sale too, so that's why it's still €14 cheaper. I agree the batbot is way better, that's an awesome toy (though it's a pity there isn't a button on the remote to shoot the discs). The Transforming batcave looks a bit like it's made up of pieces of the Power Rangers Megazord and makes no sense. Red Robin and the Flash in his wheel are €14 too, so one could be gotten with the batcave in exchange for the batbot, if you don't already have them. (Or any other toy for similar price). They should exchange no bother. We went in last week with one of S's birthday presents that he had already and they swapped it without question. (Superman and Doomsday for Bane and his Battle Sled.)

Brilliant iguana, thanks for your help. He actually doesn't have red robin so that would be great. Yeah he has megazord so I was a bit weary of the batcave but what can ya do! Looks like your S and my little guy would have an absolute blast together :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Jude13 wrote: »
    Tree up (pic in the Christmas tree pic thread). Had a very heavy Friday night and a 5:30am wake up as our visitor was heading to the airport. I could not get back asleep.
    Unpacked all the Christmas stuff and put up the tree, first set of lights nearly killed me as the was a exposed wire near the box, it had broken being packaged. So off to the hardware store. More lights, decs and a festive dickie bow for the dog.

Got to house and crashed. My OH had to finish the tree. Had Christmas tunes on and tried hair of the dog mulled wine but my hangover would not leave.

We watched the Grinch, Jim Carey version, did not care for it.

Jaysus, fair play to you for even attempting the tree with a hangover!

Cheers, I hope it gets me on the 'nice list'. I need to get on the external illumination some evening this week. Its a bit harder now with a dog, keeping all the wires out of reach.

We put the scented sticks in the tree, with the dark mornings it was very Chrstmassy when I went down stairs.

Whats the chances of a white Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

Jude13 wrote:

Have a feeling it'll be a cold one this time round so better than average in my book anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Watched my first Christmas movie of the season last night (Bad Santa)!

Had a lovely Christmassy morning eating breakfast in bed and watching the Christmassy episode of Being Erica. I may have cried at several points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I'm awake since all hours really crisp morning out there earlier I hope it's like that for Christmas

Just back from Blanchardstown it was madness I think that's my last trip there till the new year il do the remainder of shopping online, local and in town il soak up the atmosphere in town

Most of the things I had on my list they hadn't got,

Jude how did you tackle a tree hungover fair play it looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

First attempt at roast potatoes for Christmas a roaring success, team work with myself and himself, we picked up a romantica for afters

Now it's just get first time turkey, sprouts and cabbage right on the big day
    Might try cabbage before that though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I'm almost finished my shopping, thank god.

I've only two people to buy for, my mum and my best friend.

I've most of my best friends bought, just waiting on two more things and then I'll have all of hers, so can wrap them then.

Mam still needs to decide what she wants, so until she does I don't know what to get her :(

Hoping to get my decs up before Toy Show, not looking likely but we will see :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Trees are decorate, but the lights arn't working. We went to the HomeStore today. and the ones we wanted were out of stock. Delaying the lighting of the trees. :(:(

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Jude13 wrote: »
    Cheers, I hope it gets me on the 'nice list'. I need to get on the external illumination some evening this week. Its a bit harder now with a dog, keeping all the wires out of reach.

We put the scented sticks in the tree, with the dark mornings it was very Chrstmassy when I went down stairs.

Oooh where do you get scented sticks and do they really smell like Christmas tree?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I saw them in b&q in cork, i assume they have them in all their stores, 3 scents, Orange, Mulled wine and pine.

http://www.diy.com/search?Ntt=christmas+scents

There are 5 or 6 different scents, we went for pine. Some of them are a bit sickly.

At home when my folks decided to have a fake tree (fake tree, fake Christmas as we all know) they would also get come christmas tree off-cuts with their real wreath just to make the house smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

I saw them in b&q in cork, i assume they have them in all their stores, 3 scents, Orange, Mulled wine and pine.

http://www.diy.com/search?Ntt=christmas+scents

Also have these in homestore and more newbridge. I was trying to smell where they were coming from. Right behind me in a basket! Saw them as I was giving up:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yay, Posy's avatar has her Santy hat on, another sign Christmas is almost here! :D

Had a bit of an upset child here this morning. We'd been using a Christmas countdown calendar made from 2 wooden blocks to count down to S's birthday and after his party switched it to counting down to Christmas. I knew we were in for a few days of it not working, as due to each block only having 6 sides, it can only do every number from 32 down, so could do from S's birthday to 36 - then couldn't do 35, 34, or 33. I distracted him from it yesterday but today he wanted to know how many days there were and he was clearly fighting back tears that I couldn't change it to 34. I ended up getting out the water-colours and temporarily changing the 8 to a 3. It looks crap but I've sort of hidden it with shadows and it will do until Wednesday.

I've created a Christmas monster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Has anyone seen fairy lights anywhere other than Woodies? Or preferably LED lights that don't have that awful bright blue? I hate it, so I've been going for the old style fairy lights instead, as the colours are much softer and warm and remind me of Christmas when I was a kid.
    The set we got two years ago in woodies was giving us hassle last year so I need to buy a new set, thought homestore might have them but can't see them online.

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Has anyone seen fairy lights anywhere other than Woodies? Or preferably LED lights that don't have that awful bright blue? I hate it, so I've been going for the old style fairy lights instead, as the colours are much softer and warm and remind me of Christmas when I was a kid.
    The set we got two years ago in woodies was giving us hassle last year so I need to buy a new set, thought homestore might have them but can't see them online.

I got some proper old fashioned fairy lights in Guineys last year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Homestore and More have a good selection, but I've never seen a set of LEDs that could match the warm glow of old fashioned fairy lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Have a rotten headcold so cleaning and exercise has been replaced by rest aka not being able to resist putting up some decorations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Cherrycola wrote: »

Homestore+More is your best bet. I was looking for a set of coloured lights last week & I didn't want just the LED bulbs - I wanted something with a shape. I got a set up 200 Acorn shaped LED's & they're multi-function - so can flash/twinkle or be steady on. They were €40, but they've since started their 50% off Christmas sale so you should get them for €20.

They also had a number of the 'vintage' type sets with push-in bulbs, but to be honest, I've spent the last 25 years of my life replacing bulbs which was grand when you could actually buy replacement bulbs, so I opted for the LEDs this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭Milly33

Have a rotten headcold so cleaning and exercise has been replaced by rest aka not being able to resist putting up some decorations!

same here chest infection is well and truly in. Went and got a bottle of Glu Wein last night in Aldi, shot of brandy added and ohh it worked wonders

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

So I have decided to try add a little home made touch to my decorations this year and keep my hands busy so i don't eat the christmas things already bought :p
    So far I have made a patchwork table runner and bunting for over the fire place. I plan to make a rag wreath an advent calender and a skirt for the christmas tree

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

Heatons have large baubels, that's the tree in the garden sorted, got 800 ultrabrights for it on Amazon last week too lol.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Does anyone know when they will be announcing the winners of the Toy Show tickets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »
    Does anyone know when they will be announcing the winners of the Toy Show tickets?

I thought it was supposed to be yesterday. Haven't seen anything about it though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement