Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,492 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I started watching the Box of Delights on YouTube again last night. I always watch an episode a week every Monday and then watch the last episode on Christmas Eve. Been a bit of a tradition for the last few years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I thought it was supposed to be yesterday. Haven't seen anything about it though.

Maybe the closing date was yesterday and they'll be ringing people this week. He says in desperation haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭Milly33

A loverly christmas movie if you like old school is A Christmas Story 2007 or Joulutarina http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0772176/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've decided that it's officially Christmas Time since we went to the light switch on, on Sunday. We've watched Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer and Home Alone so far. And I went shopping with a friend today and bought a few more Christmassy bits. Crackers with mini jigsaws in Dealz, which will be ideal for entertaining a 4 year old over Christmas dinner. A Santa stop here, door sign with S's name on it and Santa hat chair covers for the Christmas. The Tomte arrives with a mini-north pole breakfast next Wednesday, so he'll cover our chairs as a surprise extra decoration. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Two houses on our road have their lights up! Presuming they have their trees up too. I'll have a sneaky look tomorrow when I'm walking by!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I saw a house decorated for Christmas down the road from me last night and got VERY excited. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I saw a house decorated for Christmas down the road from me last night and got VERY excited. :D

Same I was on the way home and I seen a house with their decorations up. I was so excited all I could shout out was "CHRISTMAS!!!"

My OH just looked at me. I think she got what I was trying to say.

And an update the house directly facing me have their tree up. Oh it is on!!! :D

Roll on Saturday!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Himself actually broached the subject of Christmas decorating last night...might even get the decs out of the attic this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Jude13

There's talk for pints at 5pm today to discuss our christmas pints. Our office is workaholic bill every half an hour types and they are willing to jack in in for a made up event. Its the most wonderful...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Does nobody have any more questions for me?

Sadface.

Sadface.

I'll ask you some more on the bus home! No sadfaces in the Christmas forum!

Sadface.

There's loads more questions for you now :)

I bought S's Christmas stocking today. I wanted one big enough to fit in the dress-up outfit he's getting but not so big that it would be a pita to fill in future years. This one is perfect and classic and sturdy enough that I suspect I'll still be filling it 30 years from now. This is the first year that he knows to expect a stocking, so I want him to have the anticipation of it and the ritual of hanging it up before bed on Christmas eve. I'll give it to him in his Christmas eve box.

I also got some more decorations and his new Christmas PJs. Oh and a couple of boxes of florentines in Aldi at last. I'll be cracking them open with a Baileys hot chocolate shortly, just to make sure they are properly delicious for enjoying with Gilmore Girls on Friday night! The official start of Christmas festivities in the iguana household!

iguana wrote: »
    I bought S's Christmas stocking today. I wanted one big enough to fit in the dress-up outfit he's getting but not so big that it would be a pita to fill in future years. This one is perfect and classic and sturdy enough that I suspect I'll still be filling it 30 years from now. This is the first year that he knows to expect a stocking, so I want him to have the anticipation of it and the ritual of hanging it up before bed on Christmas eve. I'll give it to him in his Christmas eve box.

I also got some more decorations and his new Christmas PJs. Oh and a couple of boxes of florentines in Aldi at last. I'll be cracking them open with a Baileys hot chocolate shortly, just to make sure they are properly delicious for enjoying with Gilmore Girls on Friday night! The official start of Christmas festivities in the iguana household!

Can't bloody wait for Gilmore Girls! I was going to take Friday off, partly to watch it! Had to take a few unexpected days off last week though so it's not going to happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Loving the promo for the toy show, a take off of x factor/ britains got talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Am I the only person in on this thread who never liked the Late Late toy show even as a child?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Jude13

Nope never liked it either. I think I hated Gaybo so much it put me off forever.

I am claiming my first Christmas hangover today. My god I am dying.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Am I the only person in on this thread who never liked the Late Late toy show even as a child?
    I don't remember ever being that super excited about it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Nope, I'm not a massive fan. I'll watch it if I think of it. Its the Billie Barry kids that used to get on my wick, even as a child. My dad used to change the station when they came on :p

Happy one month until Christmas Eve, everyone!

Happy one month until Christmas Eve, everyone!

That's both exciting and scary in equal measure.

Loughc wrote: »
    That's both exciting and scary in equal measure.

I know! Need to make sure we make the most of it now.

There's a guy on Today FM now talking about putting up the Christmas lights on streets. It's his job. He did Henry Street this year.

Can't bloody wait for Gilmore Girls! I was going to take Friday off, partly to watch it! Had to take a few unexpected days off last week though so it's not going to happen now.

I'm going to eke them out. One movie a night, though I wish they were all winter episodes. If all goes to plan, On Sunday night, I'll be sitting under my Christmas tree, drinking hot chocolate by the fire watching Rory and Lorelai frolicking in the summer sun.:P
    There's a guy on Today FM now talking about putting up the Christmas lights on streets. It's his job. He did Henry Street this year.

My first boyfriend was an electrician who worked with the company with the Christmas lights contract. He would point out which lines he'd hung and connected and tell me he'd been thinking of me while he did it. I was so proud of my connection to them the year we were dating.:o

And thankfully he left the country the Christmas after we split up, so they weren't tainted for me.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Posy wrote: »
    I don't remember ever being that super excited about it!

:eek:

It was awesome when I was a teenager in school, it was one of the few nights we were allowed stay up after lights out! Cue 70 kids all watching it with the lights off in the one common room with ridiculous amounts of sweets. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

I loooove the Toy Show....my sister put my name forward this year, to help with the local sale of work. I just found out its on the same night......nooooooo It wont be the same watching it on Sunday or on the laptop....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I've always liked the toy show. My girlfriend is out for her work Christmas drinks the night of the toy show, and my mates husband is working so I was due to watch it in my mates house with her. Turns out she now has her work Christmas drinks that night so myself, my girlfriend, my mate and her husband are all going to watch it on the Saturday night. It just means I have to avoid social media for 24 hours so I don't see any of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I used to love the Toy Show when I was a kid, despite my loathing for Gay Byrne. I haven't watched it properly for many years though (just the essential clips the next day on FB! :D). I do think Ryan Tubridy is a good host and works well with the children, especially when they are being challenging :p

I don't even know what day it's on :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I stopped watching TLL in general after Gaybo retired as I couldn't stand Pat the Plank but I watched the Toy Show last year (well a good chucnk of it) and it wasn't too bad. I'm still not bothered about watching it, I think the excitement in here last year had me brain washed into giving it a go :pac: I can see why some people like to make an occasion of it though, it's a nice tradition :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement