Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks all. Will pick up a few bits on Thursday I think. Iguana your house sounds brilliant!

I do love having the lights on the stairs. I'd like to dress them up a bit more. Maybe some giant bows dotted along.

I love the penguin slide! Maybe when the toddler is a bit older and less likely to destroy/try to copy it.

Oh lights in a bowl sound nice.

I've got two pillar candles I'd like to make more festive too as a centrepiece for the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

15179220_10154609592182367_5010519795614775612_n.jpg?oh=878a3735784f56a291dbf2185674f862&oe=58B1AF98

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

OMG, Kitten_k I love it! :)

Can't take credit for it, it popped up on FB.

Am gutted I won't see it on Friday

Anyone else????

15253647_10154333246027585_1013727475488284347_n.jpg?oh=811d4ba2aac9f38a578683ff1d6e2261&oe=58CC26FD

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »
    Anyone else????

Yep. Some of the greatest memories. The pure excitement of seeing if he had been and what was left there for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Whispered wrote: »
    Thanks all. Will pick up a few bits on Thursday I think. Iguana your house sounds brilliant!

I do love having the lights on the stairs. I'd like to dress them up a bit more. Maybe some giant bows dotted along.

I love the penguin slide! Maybe when the toddler is a bit older and less likely to destroy/try to copy it.

Oh lights in a bowl sound nice.

I've got two pillar candles I'd like to make more festive too as a centrepiece for the table.

Just regarding lights in a bowl, Lidl sell little santa / snowmen / other christmas character candles. I put them in a bowl of water last year and placed the bowl in fake snow, looked great.
    Then I put individual ones in a glass in each place setting.

They're 2.99 for a pack of 6, they're about 2 inches high and really cute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

kitten_k wrote: »
    Anyone else????

Most definitely. Such an amazing feeling when you were a child. I still remember a lot of Christmas's in great detail!

It's only when you get a bit older, you realise how much trouble your parents went to for you at Christmas (and all the time to be fair!).

BDJW wrote: »
    It's only when you get a bit older, you realise how much trouble your parents went to for you at Christmas (and all the time to be fair!).

Completely agree with this!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

BDJW wrote: »

That's the part that hits me so hard. My parents went to so much work and gave all the credit to an imaginary being just to make it more exciting for me and my brothers. It's such a pure expression of love. I feel beyond privileged to have experienced it and honoured to have the chance to do the same for my son.

I know there is a growing trend for being totally honest with your child and that means not pretending that Santa is real. But as much as I'll be completely honest about everything else, creating magical experiences for him and giving the credit to a magical creation is, imvho, a gift worth bending the truth for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Totally agree Iguana. Nothing harmful about a bit of magic. My daughter is 15, and I still tell her to write a Santa letter, and see what is under the tree on Christmas morning. The fact that she is a teenager, I try even HARDER to keep the magic.......

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Totally agree Iguana. Nothing harmful about a bit of magic. My daughter is 15, and I still tell her to write a Santa letter, and see what is under the tree on Christmas morning. The fact that she is a teenager, I try even HARDER to keep the magic.......

I am the same as you Outdoorlass. My daughter is 19 and everything has to be the same at Christmas as it has been since she was born. I dare not change anything. Its all about tradition for her which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

And if you think about it, they will hopefully hand down the tradition/sentiment/love to their kids, our grandkids (hopefully),
    and get as much out of it as we do...........Feck the Bah Humbugs....LOL....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

So all the trees are up, only one decorated as of yet but I'm ahead of target for Thursday. My kids came home from montessori and did a dance around it, my 2 year old shouting "I missed you" at the decorations

my 2 year old shouting "I missed you" at the decorations

Haha, so cute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

They're leaving it very late to ring me about my toy show tickets I must say...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Dolbert wrote: »
    They're leaving it very late to ring me about my toy show tickets I must say...

It's rather rude isn't it? :p

Actually I see people on twitter who got their phone call yesterday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Alicat wrote: »
    It's rather rude isn't it? :p

Actually I see people on twitter who got their phone call yesterday :(

Some did but last year some people didn't get "the call" until the day before!

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Right not going back a few pages to quote posts but what an interesting read. I second the Christmas Canvas pictures. Can be expensive enough but ask around after Christmas and some shops might have some left and sell them off cheap. Mine work on batteries. I also got battery operated sets of lights in Dunnes this year which work a treat on my windows.

That stair banister looks so cool it makes me want to add a second floor to my house. Unfortunately that will never happen. The magic of Santa must never be allowed to be extinguished many a morning i got up at silly o clock to see what he brought me (while our dog slept a few feet away).

• Advertisement

Went to put my new "surprise " multicolored lights on the tree I've promised to let the kids decorate, they don't know about the colored lights and I wanted to get them on before we decorate tomorrow.

BUT one of the LED bulbs was missing and instead I got uncovered wire!!!! How happy was I that I hadn't put them on the tree while lit up or involved the kids! Not happy so back to the shop tomorrow :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Spent five hours wrapping today...and it's not even done! Looking forward to getting the tree up and them under it in time for the toy show.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm wrecked but my kitchen is a magical wonderland, there are fancy breakfast foods nearly ready to eat and the Tomte is abseiling down the advent calendar onto the kitchen table. Our December eve North Pole Breakfast is on! Fingerscrossed S sleeps late in the morning and I can get the last bits set up before he's up in the morning.

I can't get into work mode this week - think I am already in holiday mode for Berlin at the weekend! Really looking forward to the Christmas markets.

Trees are all up, so are all the decorations apart from my little extra surprise I'm planning, which will go up tomorrow. Picked up another train to go around the tree, it's too cute

Advent calendars will start to be opened tomorrow!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Ahhh, December 1st tomorrow, hard to believe!!!

Late Late Toy Show is trending on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,492 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Silly me, I posted this in the Christmas FM thread earlier:

I got the lads in the office to put the Christmas tree today. We got a real one this year and security were complaining because we left a few of them in the underground car park so I bought a stand and some new LED lights, gave some of my team a trimming shears and a saw and asked them to do the necessary.
    Was sent a picture and it's standing proudly inn the office with the lights on. Friday is official office decorating day!
    Meanwhile, spent today with Mrs. H doing our annual Christmas shopping trip in town.
    Attic now heaving with "stuff" and about 85% of all the shopping done. Still a little bit left to do on Amazon.
    Got the Christmas books down from the attic this evening so we can start reading them to the kids at bedtime from tomorrow. Can't wait!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Jessme

I've never posted in here before but I really enjoy the excitement and buzz from all of the Christmas chat - it's infectious!
    Just spotted this and even though it's American based, I thought some of you might get a giggle from it (apologies of it's been posted already).

https://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/christmas-af?utm_term=.avNAWYQD6#.bvw5lJ74N

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,492 ✭✭✭Heroditas

A fair and accurate representation of many of us here, Jessme.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement