Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Every time I hear the song 'Something About Christmas Time' I like to imagine that the deadline for the song was looming and he was sitting there trying to come up with something about Christmas time to write about but got lazy in the end. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

and today brought M&S mince pies in work (again ! colleagues really liked them, a novelty for them) and wearing again Christmas earrings, funny about the smiles I get on public transport thanks to them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I iced my cake. :)

m76lxe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Hey everyone.

Can't believe it's a week to Christmas. It's mad how quick it's come around. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Mystery Egg, fantastic job. The cake looks amazing.

I also can't believe how quick Christmas has crept up on us.
    Usually December drags but this month is flying.

I think I'll wrap some presents today and have a mince pie.
    Got lovely mince pies in Aldi...only 89c for six and they're really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Am sitting in the hairdressers waiting to get hair done for Christmas, then it's off to get my nails done a nice festive red!

Off out tonight for dinner and to see Big. Defo have the Christmas feeling!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »
    Am sitting in the hairdressers waiting to get hair done for Christmas, then it's off to get my nails done a nice festive red!

Off out tonight for dinner and to see Big. Defo have the Christmas feeling!

That's gas I'm off out to see Big then go for dinner today. Reverse order for me. We're going to the matinee showing so we can go for dinner and drinks tonight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Apologies my fellow elves for not being online much lately I've been so busy in work the past few weeks. But thankfully I've my Christmas holidays coming up in a few days time.

I cannot believe just how close we are to Christmas for as long as the year feels November and December just fly by way too quickly that you really don't get time to appreciate the festivities.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

What a glorious morning it is out there today! Have a lovely festive day everyone.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I just can't believe how quickly it's snuck up on me but I sort of 'lost' a week. I had my 3 meals out last weekend and on my way home on Sunday evening I stopped at my parents' house to collect S. Getting out of the car I somehow managed to pull muscles in my chest and back and was in agony for Monday and Tuesday. Then on Wednesday I had a bad reaction to the anti-inflammatories and had a very sick stomach all day. On Thursday we had our playgroup Christmas party, which is sort of my gig as my dad is Santa, so I had to exhaustedly pull myself together and pull it off. Create Santa's corner, get Dad snuck off and dressed while keeping S distracted from the fact that his Granda had disappeared. Help Santa with the kids so he would know their names and something about them and make sure he gave them a suitable book. Then dance around like a maniac to make the nervous toddlers smile for the photos. All the while I could feel that my blood pressure had gone off a cliff, so I was trying to stay hydrated so I wouldn't collapse. Then it was time for Santa to leave and the snow machine to start outside, because it's fun and would also stop the children from noticing that Santa was actually slipping off in the emergency door to the kitchen. The wind wouldn't co-operate with the snow machine, so instead of placing it on the stand I'd arranged I had to hold it over my head. It was exhausting but actually resulted in a magical effect.

So now the week is gone and I am procrastinating on here instead of cleaning up the general messiness that's built up in my house while I was too unwell to do much cleaning. Last night I finally made a start on the toys I was due to make last week. And I have to manage to squeeze in ice-skating and a trip to the Christmas village at Bunratty around S's festivities at school and family obligations. Everything was so nicely planned to be easy and not stressful for December and now I've got a mad rush for the last few days. And I'm still here typing. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm bringing my dog for a walk in the park, then going to look around the Christmas market in Swords. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

2 Christmas parties in the last 2 nights, I'm a broken man! But I'm restraining myself from digging into the Christmas biscuits and sweets, which I think is something to be proud of :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I have a group of friends coming over tomorrow for our pre-Christmas get together before we all depart for our various home-lands. :)

The cake is ready. The dauphinoise, ham (in slow cooker in Coke), apple, herb and sausage stuffing, smoked salmon pate and trifle are all done. The cocktail ingredients are chilling in the fridge. I set myself a timer and did it all in under 90 minutes. I can't wait! All I have to do tomorrow is throw a few things in the oven, including the maple roasted carrots, and top the trifle with custard and cream. I'll hoover tonight before bed and we're done.

Today is wrapping day in our house, so we've cracked open the wine and are in the living room in the glow of the tree, wrapping all our pressies and watching Christmas movies. Possibly my favourite day of the year! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Went to Santa House Express in Palmerstown this morning. Think we timed it better last year, going later in the day, as we didn't get the experience of the lights. However the elves, princesses and the big man himself were great craic. We were finished by 1130, had a look in the food area and they had started the carvery. Happy days, 6 turkey and ham dinners please.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Went to the hole in the wall pub for dinner yesterday, if any of you get the chance, go see it! It's the most christmassy pub ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I hope that when people say they are thinking about the nurses, doctors, guards etc working on Christmas day, they also remember the lads cleaning or serving the food in hospital or porters moving patients or lads taking the emergency calls etc etc.

They allow the front line to work as they should and rarely get mentioned in press etc. (imo)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Finished wrapping presents last night! Few presents still to get so hope to order few photo gifts in chemist tomorrow! Have annual Christmas get together with former housekeeper/nanny at my daddy's tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I hope that when people say they are thinking about the nurses, doctors, guards etc working on Christmas day, they also remember the lads cleaning or serving the food in hospital or porters moving patients or lads taking the emergency calls etc etc.

They allow the front line to work as they should and rarely get mentioned in press etc. (imo)

A lot of people underestimate how many workers it takes to keep the country going while they're home and warm with their families!

I remember last year (maybe the year before) we had no electricity for about two hours on Christmas Day. It came back, but not by magic; only thanks to some poor fecker up a pole on Christmas Day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

They are forecasting major storms this Christmas eve/day and I was just thinking of all the people that could leave without power and the poor ESB workers.

Fingers crossed the weather people are over-exaggerating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Amor3 I was there Thursday it was packed really Christmassy
    Well said Tom Mann Centuria three neighbors of mine are cleaners preparing intensive care etc for sick children and they are the best neighbours ever they will all be working Christmas Day

I was out Thursday and Friday very hungover yesterday I feel way behind I wish I could rewind the last few days I had a great time enjoying myself with Christmas cheer but am way behind I feel, just back from dinner in a hotel with family not a drink passed my lips I hope to do some wrapping and watch a movie later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I look through IMGUR the odd time and they're doing a secret santa. One poster received their present, turns out it was from Bill Gates.

http://imgur.com/gallery/gnK8Y

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Yeah I know what you mean Tom I usually post something online wishing everyone a Happy Christmas and to think of all the people who have to work during Christmas day (or very early the next day).

I do hope we don't have too bad a storm Christmas Eve although in fairness we have had it great this year so far compared to other years

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Had a lovely day with hubby watching Christmas films with hot chocolate! Grinch and Elf so we still have plenty films to watch this week: :)

I agree RE people working Christmas day! My family used to be in the hotel business and we did Christmas dinner but it wasn't nice working! I broke my wrist one Christmas morning so I had to go to A+E everyone were really nice despite having had to work on Christmas day! We were surprised how quiet it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My husband guessed both of his gifts. That means I get to return them and spend the credit notes on myself, right? :pac:

Currently doing my christmas shop on tesco online. Adding a few finishing touches. I'm worried I'll miss something but I keep being reminded that all the shops are open next day. I do feel sorry for those in retail. I've worked a few Christmas days myself but I never mind. I love my job and it would be 2 to 3 hours max. I'd hate to have to go for an entire day into a job I didn't really like.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i've just made an order on Amazon of several books tonight (sunday) with standard delivery...what do you reckon will they arrive before xmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Had a lovely day with hubby watching Christmas films with hot chocolate! Grinch and Elf so we still have plenty films to watch this week: :)

I agree RE people working Christmas day! My family used to be in the hotel business and we did Christmas dinner but it wasn't nice working! I broke my wrist one Christmas morning so I had to go to A+E everyone were really nice despite having had to work on Christmas day! We were surprised how quiet it was!

They might be a lot going on in the hotels this year due to the homeless crisis and people living and using the hotels.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

fryup wrote: »
    i've just made an order on Amazon of several books tonight (sunday) with standard delivery...what do you reckon will they arrive before xmas?

I'd say you've good odds, Amazon is normally very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Haven't posted here in a few weeks but I still can't believe that it's actually Christmas week! I've had Christmas nights out and everything but I still can't get in the proper festive mood - like, I am looking forward to it of course but I feel like it has crept up so fast that I haven't had a proper opportunity to really enjoy the build up and before I know it, it'll all be over :-(! I'm finished all my shopping except for a petrol voucher that I have to get for my dad, and need to ice the cake tonight.....then pretty much done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Second last day at work for 2016!!!!!!!! WOOT!!!!! Have a very busy week lined up of a few last minute appointments, the big Christmas clean of the house plus the grocery shop on Thursday, but the start of my holidays will be Afternoon Tea on Wednesday with some friends! I cannot wait for it! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

It usually picks up in afternoon /early evening After people have fallen off their new toys or had after dinner alcohol. I've had the misfortune to be in a and E on Christmas Day and St Patrick's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement