Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

Love2love wrote: »
    Ham most definitely has to be done the night before!! Sure where else will you get your ham sambos coming out of midnight mass :) or pub or neighbours

Love this...myself and hubby this yr will be going to midnight mass first time together in 12 years...so love the ham sambo idea that night, then home for mamma cooking :) so excited

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

THE HOMEBASE DECORATIONS ARE IN!!!!! :D:D:D
    Got wet to the skin making my way there yesterday but worth it! I really noticed a move towards traditional & retro in a lot of the ranges this year - both Woodies & Heatons have lovely Bell decorations & HB have a collection of traditional baubles in various colour schemes - too much!!! I think need a mince pie & a sit down..... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Usually a Christmas grump but got in the mood a bit yesterday, bought a Christmas tablecloth in Feirin in Ennis, quite like this though a clearer, more crisp design http://www.tableprotectordirect.co.uk/christmas-tablecloths/215-christmas-baubles-vinyl-oilcloth-tablecloth.html and only €6 a metre!! Woohoo a Christmassy bargain! Already started picking up gifts in TK Maxx to take the pressure off come December, and my Boots Advantage Card points are up to €40 now so might treat myself to a nice perfume :) The countdown is on!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

dee_mc wrote: »
    Usually a Christmas grump but got in the mood a bit yesterday, bought a Christmas tablecloth in Feirin in Ennis, quite like this though a clearer, more crisp design http://www.tableprotectordirect.co.uk/christmas-tablecloths/215-christmas-baubles-vinyl-oilcloth-tablecloth.html and only €6 a metre!! Woohoo a Christmassy bargain! Already started picking up gifts in TK Maxx to take the pressure off come December, and my Boots Advantage Card points are up to €40 now so might treat myself to a nice perfume :) The countdown is on!

Table cloth is lovely. I had a santa one for the last few years. I would advise, be very careful what way you fold it, when putting it away. I used to fold mine, got 3 years out of it. Eventually the cracks started to appear. Probably had it folded for too long. I would suggest you roll it, when storing it.

This year, I'm using the one my mother gave me. She got it shipped over from the US. It's cloth, but huge! I think she bought it for herself, but her table is a fraction too small. 'Tis a bad wind that doesn't blow good for someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Table cloth is lovely. I had a santa one for the last few years. I would advise, be very careful what way you fold it, when putting it away. I used to fold mine, got 3 years out of it. Eventually the cracks started to appear. Probably had it folded for too long. I would suggest you roll it, when storing it.

This year, I'm using the one my mother gave me. She got it shipped over from the US. It's cloth, but huge! I think she bought it for herself, but her table is a fraction too small. 'Tis a bad wind that doesn't blow good for someone!
    Thanks for that! I was thinking of taping together a couple of the inner tubes from wrapping paper to roll it around but maybe I'm overthinking things slightly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

The next time you're in that shop,Dee,ask them for a tube off the rolls of tablecloth that they may be chucking out - that's what I did when I bought mine last year and I rolled up the cloth in it, worked a treat. The gold version is gorgeous too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

I was in Woodies and Heatons the other day and they have lovely stuff. I agree with some of the posters above very traditional baubles etc heavily embossed really beautiful reminds me of ones my mum had. There is actually a lovely ornament on sale in Woodies it's hearth with stockings and they give you a little pen so you can write all your families names on and they come with different numbers of stockings for different sized families really cute only €4.99. There is also a beautiful carausel in Heatons €29.99 we already have one but it's really lovely.

I am starting to panic a bit about Santa the 17 month old will be easy but the older 3 keep changing there minds daily and adding to the list I think we will have to do a letter to Santa ASAP so the decision is made. Although my 5 yr old told me Peppa Pig only posted her Santa letter on Christmas eve so why can't she do that ??? Help !!!!

Stupid Peppa Pig, cheeky little so and so. Are the other 3 ages you can "plant" ideas?

17, 5 and 4, the 17 year old can be the worst and the dearest but at least he know the story but I always like to know so I can budget. The 4 year old wanted a house for Barbie so I had picked the Savannah kids kraft one it's beautiful but now she wants a whole Princess castle I think the Barbie houses are overpriced plastic the 17 month old is big rough boy it would be broken in 5 minutes

Ya, the Savannah is gorgeous, much nicer than the Amelia IMO. Did you see the thread on the Disney Princess Castle on the bargains board? Our 6 year old got it from Santa 2 years ago and its still going strong - even our Elf had a night in it last year :) Or if you look on Argos, they have a wooden doll house that seems to be pink and pretty or for Monster High sort of dolls, it won't let me do a link , but its reduced to €74.99 and its cat number 905/7377 Might be worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

Emcm wrote: »
    17, 5 and 4, the 17 year old can be the worst and the dearest but at least he know the story but I always like to know so I can budget. The 4 year old wanted a house for Barbie so I had picked the Savannah kids kraft one it's beautiful but now she wants a whole Princess castle I think the Barbie houses are overpriced plastic the 17 month old is big rough boy it would be broken in 5 minutes

I wouldn't worry too much about the younger ones. I come from a family of six, and I found when they were small they were always happy with whatever Santa got them and never even remembered what they asked for. I'd say once you get them a few things off their list they'll be happy out. The kids TV channels have so many toy adverts they say they want everything they set their eyes on haha.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    Stupid Peppa Pig, cheeky little so and so. Are the other 3 ages you can "plant" ideas?

That is the easiest age!!
    Duplo , train sets, dress up clothes,art stuff.play doh sets.

My sister wouldn't let me consider the Amelia she said it looked like a brothel. I was laughing watching love hate the brothel sure as hell isnt as pretty as that !!!!

Thanks for that cat number that looks good. I did see the one on Bargain alerts was bait worried about the customs charge and the strength of it but might reconsider it.

The adverts are a menace on Nick Jr they want everything

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

UPC have True Movies 1 on channel 328 are showing Christmas movies all day. It's a free channel too :)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I have just mixed everything for my Christmas puddings. Going to leave them sit over night and tomorrow I will steam them. My house smells like Christmas! So excited :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Just back from Blanchardstown shopping centre and it was absolutely jammers. Couldn't get a parking spot ended up parking miles away. I was there last week and no problems so I think the shopping has started for a lot of people, not just us Xmas forum nuts :)

I can see Christmas creeping into the shops too! M&S have their Christmas lights up in the shop and I seen some Santa figurines and snowmen in Tierneys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

How am I only seeing Christmas forum now?!!!

So so excited for this year, had our first baba in April and while she may only be eight months by Christmas and be oblivious to Santa I can pretend she's not!

My pinterest Christmas board is full of recipes I'm dying to get cracking on too. Roll on!

Digs wrote: »
    How am I only seeing Christmas forum now?!!!

So so excited for this year, had our first baba in April and while she may only be eight months by Christmas and be oblivious to Santa I can pretend she's not!

My pinterest Christmas board is full of recipes I'm dying to get cracking on too. Roll on!

Congrats!! She WILL know, our eldest is an October baby and she knew on her first year :D and now shes a few years older, she knows for sure!!!

My local have children's Christmas jumpers in, just said I'd let ye know, they aren't fab, but at least they are an option if other places sell quickly. I think they are €11

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

We have a new baby in our house (6 weeks old) so it will be nice to have Santa back again. Our other baby is 15 now :eek:
    Mind you, since I met my husband, Santa has reappeared and gives everyone a stocking on Christmas morning :P

And chickenbutt, that little baby is the reason I haven't found those timings yet. I will I promise!! I'll send you the 2 stuffing recipes too (potato/sausage), or I can post them here if anyone wants them.

Santa has never stopped coming at my parents house. When we get up on Christmas morning, the sitting room is full of gifts that were not there when we went to bed :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Tesco has their kids and adults christmas clothes and bits.
    The kids stuff is soo adorable and cute:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

I love to see the Christmas ads slowly finding their way on to the telly. oh soooooooo seasonal. If only Halloween would come and go so we can start taking the Christmas decorations out of storage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

King Krib wrote: »
    I love to see the Christmas ads slowly finding their way on to the telly. oh soooooooo seasonal. If only Halloween would come and go so we can start taking the Christmas decorations out of storage.

This! Halloween is such a nuisance most years haha! Roll on November 1st! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

Just a heads up, National Lampoons Christmas Vacation is on Sky One on Friday at 11.30 & repeated again on Saturday night at 9.00. Squirrel scene still gets me every time :D

Great film, I know it word for word by this stage haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

A lovely lady i know over in PA, was in the middle of writing here Christmas cards last night, When she messaged me. She likes to do them in October to 'get them done and out the way'!!!!!! On the 1st November, she puts up her decorations. It takes her a week to do it! with the help of her family. She has 7+ Christmas trees, like...proper sized ones! and each is decorated wit a particular theme. Each and everyone is completely different to eachother. Her house is absolutely amazing with all the twinkling lights. They sleep with all the lights left switched on! I'd be scared of a house fire myself, but she has no fear. Mind you, she is the type of gal to head away to bed at 9pm, and come 4am, she's up'n'about, wide awake. So I supppose the trees aren't left alone for too long. She has all these, german smokers too, they look lovely, I'd love a few of them.

I was telling my kids this morning on the way to school, that 'herself' would be putting up the decorations in only 9 or 10 days time. I don't need to tell ye the reactions!!!! I think, the only thing that bothers me, is this 'tradition' in Ireland, not to turn on the lights till the 8th. It bugs me! I want to turn on the lights the second the tree goes up!

A lovely lady i know over in PA, was in the middle of writing here Christmas cards last night, When she messaged me. She likes to do them in October to 'get them done and out the way'!!!!!! On the 1st November, she puts up her decorations. It takes her a week to do it! with the help of her family. She has 7+ Christmas trees, like...proper sized ones! and each is decorated wit a particular theme. Each and everyone is completely different to eachother. Her house is absolutely amazing with all the twinkling lights. They sleep with all the lights left switched on! I'd be scared of a house fire myself, but she has no fear. Mind you, she is the type of gal to head away to bed at 9pm, and come 4am, she's up'n'about, wide awake. So I supppose the trees aren't left alone for too long. She has all these, german smokers too, they look lovely, I'd love a few of them.

I was telling my kids this morning on the way to school, that 'herself' would be putting up the decorations in only 9 or 10 days time. I don't need to tell ye the reactions!!!! I think, the only thing that bothers me, is this 'tradition' in Ireland, not to turn on the lights till the 8th. It bugs me! I want to turn on the lights the second the tree goes up!

Once our tree goes up in November the lights are on. Let the festivities begin..

We will have our tree up - IN OUR NEW HOME!!!!!!!!!!!! - for the stupid toy show!!!! I'm a teeny tiny bit excited!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I think the December 8th tradition is dying out a bit now. I've noticed trees going up earlier and earlier in the last few years. I'm hoping it will eventually become a 'November 8th' tradition! :pac:

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    I think the December 8th tradition is dying out a bit now. I've noticed trees going up earlier and earlier in the last few years. I'm hoping it will eventually become a 'November 8th' tradition! :pac:

It is in our house.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement