Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Although my house is now dechristmasfied my heart is not. I will be here all year folks.

Stripedboxers that's a great idea to keep them up. Relax and enjoy them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm taking my tree down now.

I couldn't feel any more miserable. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I'm taking my tree down now.

I couldn't feel any more miserable. :(

Agreed. Tonight is a night for lots and lots of candles to brighten up my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Have all ours down now. Had another Christmas dinner yesterday to mark Nollaig na Mban so all pudding & mince pies finished as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Took down all the decorations today. It seems so bare and miserable :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Ah I will leave the few decorations up for a while longer. I only have a small 2ft tree with lights , one set of lights and a candle bridge left up. All battery powered and I want to use up the batteries so they are staying up until batteries go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I will take ours down on Monday, enjoy one last weekend with them!

kitten_k wrote: »
    I will take ours down on Monday, enjoy one last weekend with them!

I was tempted to do the same but there's no way I'd have the energy or heart to take them down on a Monday evening haha.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've very nearly finished. My outdoor penguin and the antlers and red nose from my car are currently drying out in the bathroom before they get attic-ed. And my Christmas towels and fleeces are drying on the radiators ahead of getting put away at the top back of the airing cupboard. I've left my snowflake motif on the hall mirror as we are always more likely to get snow in Jan/Feb/March than in Nov/Dec. At least that's my excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Took mine down today, there's a Christmas shaped hole in my life now! Tried to leave my snowflake stickers on the windows since technically its still Winter but my boyfriend half peeled them all off to 'help' me, he is not a Christmas fan and was on to my sneaky plan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

I had to take down not one but two lots of trees & decorations yesterday, the one in work & then at home afterwards, already miss sitting in my darkened living room with my Christmas lights :(

I currently have 2 candles, 6 tea lights and a set of wooden heart led lights lighting and it's still so dull.

My window cascading lights were so bright they could have been seen from space :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I took down all my decorations today too. The living room, which normally I feel looks cosy, seems bereft.

I also started packing, because...after 3.5 years away, me and my OH are moving back to Ireland in 8 weeks. :)

The place is looking very bare and I am definitely feeling the post-Christmas slump *but* there's a little glimmer of happiness in my heart because We. Are. Going. Home. Yippee!

That's fantastic news Mystery Egg! There's no place like home! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

That's fantastic news Mystery Egg.

The best of luck with the move. I hope it goes smoothly for you xx

Thank you SB.

I hope as well that 2017 will be your year and get the all-clear. We're all rooting for you. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Loughc wrote: »
    I was tempted to do the same but there's no way I'd have the energy or heart to take them down on a Monday evening haha.

I'm off Monday so can take them down and clean the house. Easier to do when my goddaughter isn't around!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Delighted for you, Mystery Egg!! Best of luck with the move. :):)

Posy even your avatar is non Christmassy now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Mystery Egg, I am jealous, I will be coming up on 10 years of being an immigrant soon. Some day.

I took my stuff down yesterday, also binned some baubles that haven't been on the tree in years. I did leave the outside fairy lights up though.

Quick reminder to take out the batteries from any dec's that have them before packing them away. One of reindeers batteries were left in and they leaked. Its ruined now.

I will claim that I will not be on this thread all year round but I know I will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I took down my outside lights but decided I wasn't ready for the bare house indoors just yet! So everything is still up. Slowly in the next few days I'll take down things.
    SB hope you are doing ok.
    Mystery Egg it's exciting that your decorations will be up in a new home for Christmas 2017!

Jude you better not disappear haha. This forum is more than just Christmas now. Our off topic thread here is for anything and everything. So if you don't feel like talking about Christmas that's ok but we are here all year regardless what the topic is :D

(blushing face) Ah shucks, I will be around alright. If I do Christmas abroad this year I need to start planning whether we want cold or warm climate, I kid myself that I will get an input.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

That's amazing Mystery Egg, I hope the move goes easily and you settle back in quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Good luck with the move Mystery Egg
    SB hope your enjoying your home and chilling admiring your decorations
    Feeling better about 2017, we've booked a weekend away the end of the month we are together 10 years,

since my aunt passed there's only really me and my mam plus my partner, we have our own place but my mam does require a lot of care, I didn't share this before with you elves but as some of you know I lost my aunt last year but 2016 did really change my life, it's done a 360 I had no control over it but I'm getting on with and trying to adapt to my situation

I've also planned birthday celebrations for my other half the end of March, so 2017 hasn't been too bad yet

Most of the decorations down still a few bits lying around labelled a lot of my stuff so I know what's what for this year
    Just back from Blanchardstown delighted with my purchases and some presents for this year, shopping makes me feel a little bit better since the decorations are down
    Heading to my mothers shortly going to tackle her tree and decorations my other half will cook us a roast chicken while I do that for the three of us then some creme brûlée for afters (they were bought for Christmas so it still feels like a Christmas treat)

Did anyone else wake up this morning head downstairs and get a shock to see the house so empty. First morning waking up without the decorations is so strange haha.

I'm only heading back to work tomorrow, I'm lucky I know. I squandered the last few days feeling blue instead of properly enjoying them though.

Today I did some batch cooking - wholemeal raisin cinnamon muffins and baked egg 'muffins' (basically ham, eggs, veg and cheese poured into muffin cases and baked) for breakfasts, plus sausage and bean cassoulet and chilli soup for work lunches.

Now I'm gonna clear out my wardrobe, and then make a pasta bake for dinner from leftover chicken and ham.

Maybe I'll get in a walk later too.

Trying to be as prepared as possible for going back, but I am just not up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »
    Did anyone else wake up this morning head downstairs and get a shock to see the house so empty. First morning waking up without the decorations is so strange haha.

No, but I'm currently staring at the tree with just the lights on it and a sea of bubble wrap and tissue wrapped decorations on the coffee table and I'm not one bit happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

I took down my decorations today as well :(
    You guys... I'm not ready to let go!

• Advertisement

I went to the garden centre at the weekend hoping to find a little potted evergreen indoor tree to have year round. No joy sadly. I would then do it up for Christmas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement