Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

^^Congrats!!! How long were you away for?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

3.5 long years. I'm in my new bed in my new (rented) house! I'm home!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Welcome home ME. Hope the move went well :) xx

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Great news, Mystery Egg!! Welcome home. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Welcome home. You might get to see some snow too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Welcome home - no better place to be.

Mystery Egg, so is it as good as you hoped? I would be straight down to the chipper for a proper bag of chips. Think I am 9 years out of Ireland now, the majority of my adult life.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Mystery Egg, so is it as good as you hoped? I would be straight down to the chipper for a proper bag of chips. Think I am 9 years out of Ireland now, the majority of my adult life.

Genuinely, it's wonderful. I've been living in Northern Scotland and the people there are very cold. Every interaction I've had here since Thursday has been so friendly, I feel a bit overwhelmed. The food here is much better quality too (especially sausages, bread and butter) and my new house is lovely. Apart from the exhaustion, I'm really over the moon.

Funny you say about the chips - I went down to the chipper nearby last night and it was mysteriously closed! Ah well, another night. :pac:

Great stuff. Did you get some snow up in Northern Scotland? I don't think I will ever be able to move back sadly due to the way my career panned out, not enough money not to work and there is not much of an industry in the line of work I ended up falling into.

When I am home its Hodgkins white pudding and chips I get stuck in to. My OH is a super macs fan so we have to get that too.

I hope it all works out well for you and you get over the move soon.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Great stuff. Did you get some snow up in Northern Scotland? I don't think I will ever be able to move back sadly due to the way my career panned out, not enough money not to work and there is not much of an industry in the line of work I ended up falling into.

When I am home its Hodgkins white pudding and chips I get stuck in to. My OH is a super macs fan so we have to get that too.

I hope it all works out well for you and you get over the move soon.

We did get snow, frequent small amounts. Head west a couple of hours to the Scottish ski resorts and there's tons of snow everywhere for half the year though!

Thank you Jude. My husband has a two year contract for a job in his area and I've got a lead on a job that I'm crossing my fingers for.

I hate to hear people feel they can't come home. Life is short, if you could tolerate a drop in income you might be able to make it work if it's what you really want. We have no property or means, we're winging it. Thank you for the good wishes and I wish you the same - that everything pans out for you exactly as you'd like.

• Advertisement

I would need a complete change in career sadly. I will put it on my Christmas wishlist below the euromillions.

Now you get to experience the whole build up to Christmas this year at home.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Genuinely, it's wonderful. I've been living in Northern Scotland and the people there are very cold. Every interaction I've had here since Thursday has been so friendly, I feel a bit overwhelmed.

I remember feeling like that when I moved back from London. Every time as you'd leave the house you'd subconsciously put your 'game face' on. Neutral expression, blank stare straight ahead, then you'd walk briskly with nothing more than a brief nod at passersby if you accidentally caught their eye, but only if you and they were feeling super friendly. Avoiding eye contact was best. (As awfully unfriendly as that sounds, it isn't. It's just a survival technique when you are one of 13 million people trying to get from A to B through a relatively small square area.) It was a huge shock to the system for the first few weeks when we came back, it felt like everyone we passed had not only a big smile for every one they saw but the smile reaches the eyes like we're all in on the same happy secret. And over half the strangers you meet even exchange pleasantries. It definitely took adjusting and then before you know it, it's just second nature all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Welcome home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

My niece..who travels to America for work, gave me Christmas scented hand wash....its still going. So everytime I wash my times, I get a burst of Christmas. Frosted cranberry.....mmmmmm.

I had a dream last night that I was buying Christmas crackers. :)

Woke up this morning and it's still March. :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    I had a dream last night that I was buying Christmas crackers. :)

Woke up this morning and it's still March. :pac:

Jeez Posy, you're fierce late getting those crackers :)

Can't believe it's still 5 months until Brown Thomas opens their Christmas shop.

*sulks*

Had a did night Friday, my OH as a night out with the ladies from work for a mini hen. We spent day yesterday on the sofa and watching tv. She had doozed off but kept waking up when I threw on Christmas vacation. bah humbug kept making me switch it off.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yay bank holiday season starts on Friday!! We've a bank holiday each month now until June :)

So what's everyone's plans for St Patrick's Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »
    Yay bank holiday season starts on Friday!! We've a bank holiday each month now until June :)

Snoozing! Lots of snoozing! I'll only leave the house to get the car washed because I booked my NCT for Saturday morning.

How about you?

• Advertisement

My best man and his family arrive from Australia with their two kids 1am on Saturday morning so no drink will be had on Paddys day as I will be collecting them from the airport.

Saturday go to the local Irish bar with said best man to watch the rugby.

Loughc wrote: »

Couch for me. Recovering from knee replacement on 28th Feb so I'll be watching the parades on the tv. Btw, I'm not as old as most who have a knee replacement :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Going to a food fair and have booked a walking history tour for the afternoon on St. Patrick's Day. No boozing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Couch for me. Recovering from knee replacement on 28th Feb so I'll be watching the parades on the tv. Btw, I'm not as old as most who have a knee replacement :pac:

Hope the recovery is going well. It's such a life changing op. I've looked after someone who has had a knee replacement when they were a bit too young and it's not easy! (For them! I was grand.) You won't know yourself when you've recovered fully.

Thanks Toto - it's going very well but thank god for daytime tv and Netflix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Leave car in town early to get space to watch parade, drive a different car back to my parents, watch parade on tv from Dublin, walk up town to watch local parade, have a mineral/coffee or three after parade then drive my car home for dinner.

I have use of and am insured in at least 3 different cars my own and 2+ others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I want one!!

17264687_10207137012418732_7118771703560394085_n.jpg?oh=1e40844cc05dfaa05eceee315bf2ec23&oe=595F73A5

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That's amazing I love it!!!!

Wow :D

• Advertisement

Top of the morning to ye all.

Happy St Patrick's Day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement