Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Great to hear Stripedboxers!! Cheered up my day no end reading that.

We had people over to our house Friday for a party for my OH's b-day. The floor was sticky from spilages yesterday, so after I washed the floor we threw on some yankee candles to get rid of the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Delighted for you Stripedboxers! Cancer is so hard on everyone so I hope you continue to do well. My Dad was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer just a couple of months ago. Support is so important!

My fiancé and I put a deposit on a new house just before Dad's diagnosis so I'm a big ball of emotions. Looking forward to Christmas in our new home but at the same time, I'm not wishing the months away. You don't get to choose what life hands you though.

Hope you're all doing well! Good to see all the regulars keeping this place going! :D Tomorrow is Christmas Ordering day for the shop so that should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hey all, just posting to say hello to you all! Great to hear you are doing well Striped Boxers! So sorry to hear about your dad Alicat - you are so strong though, I wish you and your family the best :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thank you all so so much, I really appreciate your kind words and your well wishes, they really do mean a lot to me.
    Alicat wrote: »
    Delighted for you Stripedboxers! Cancer is so hard on everyone so I hope you continue to do well. My Dad was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer just a couple of months ago. Support is so important!

My fiancé and I put a deposit on a new house just before Dad's diagnosis so I'm a big ball of emotions. Looking forward to Christmas in our new home but at the same time, I'm not wishing the months away. You don't get to choose what life hands you though.

Hope you're all doing well! Good to see all the regulars keeping this place going! :D Tomorrow is Christmas Ordering day for the shop so that should be fun!
    Alicat I am sending you big hugs. I'm so so sorry to hear about your dad, I cannot imagine what you are going through right.

Being diagnosed with cancer is horrific, being diagnosed with terminal cancer is just cruel. I can't even imagine what you must be feeling and going through.

If I can offer any advice/support please feel free to PM me at any time. I'll be thinking of you, and of your dad.

The very best of luck to your fiancé and to you with your new home. I hope you both have many years of happiness there. xx

I finish my treatment in September so I am going to start picking up bits and pieces from then onwards.

I want to do up little hampers for everyone. Normally I just buy for my mum and best friend, but this year I want to make wee hampers for all the girls as they have been amazing to me throughout everything and I'm so thankful to them for the support they've given me and everything they've done for me. I just couldn't have done it without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Hi all. I've not posted here in ages but always keep up to date with this thread. I've been feeling very sorry for myself recently following a knee replacement that is taking forever to recover from. Striped Boxers and Alicat, your posts have given me a reality check and made me realise that mine is a small problem in the grand scheme of things. Best of luck to you both.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

All the best in your recovery, Cork Lass!
    I don't blame you for feeling sorry for yourself though. A knee replacement is a not to be sneezed at! It is a major- and painful- operation, so be sure to look after yourself. I'm sure there are plenty of Christmas markets that will need walking around this winter so slow and steady is the way to go!

Alicat, I don't even know what to say about your dad's diagnosis, apart from I'm so sorry. Life is very unfair sometimes. xx :(

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Feeling pretty Christmassy drinking hot chocolate with plenty cinnamon at moment! Nearly 7 months left!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Tomorrow is the first pay day of the "second half" of the year for me, so I will officially be starting the Christmas savings.

I am also going to open a little post office account and save in that - then give the book to my parents in Christmas week. They always love to buy lots of presents for everyone and my mam bless her loves to overfill the presses and fridge just because. It always costs them a lot of their (pension) money so a little post office book with a few bob will be a nice surprise for them.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Tomorrow is the first pay day of the "second half" of the year for me, so I will officially be starting the Christmas savings.

I am also going to open a little post office account and save in that - then give the book to my parents in Christmas week. They always love to buy lots of presents for everyone and my mam bless her loves to overfill the presses and fridge just because. It always costs them a lot of their (pension) money so a little post office book with a few bob will be a nice surprise for them.

That is a really nice idea!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Hi all. I've not posted here in ages but always keep up to date with this thread. I've been feeling very sorry for myself recently following a knee replacement that is taking forever to recover from. Striped Boxers and Alicat, your posts have given me a reality check and made me realise that mine is a small problem in the grand scheme of things. Best of luck to you both.
    I am so sorry to hear about your knee, I hope you are okay and I wish you a good recovery. No operations are easy and neither is recovery. I wish you all the best.

That is a lovely thing to do for your parents, OldNotWIse, and something I am they will appreciate, especially at Christmas, which is an expensive time for us all.

I finished my chemotherapy this week. Yay. Next step is surgery, so preparing for that now. Eek, can't believe it is nearly here. Where have the last six months gone. The time is going so quickly, it is scary :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

Congrats StripedBoxers, glad to hear your chemotherapy is almost over. Best of luck for your surgery in advance, I really hope it all goes well for you. :) Sorry to hear about your dad Alicat, all I can say is to treasure the time you have with him (which I'm sure you already are). Cork Lass, knee surgery is no easy feat so there's no need to feel bad for feeling sorry for yourself. Hopefully in time it will heal and be worth the wait and frustration for you. Also how is it nearly 7 months to Christmas?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Thanks everyone. My OH took me out for a drive this evening and we were chatting about summer. It's 4 weeks to midsummer and after that we are on the road to Christmas. All I can say to that is Ho Ho Ho ..... bring it on :)

The one word that ruins Christmas for me, cinnamon. Its god awful stuff.

Its great to hear it all being upbeat now, Stripper best of luck with the op.

Oldnotwise, that is a beautiful gesture and very much in the spirit of the season.

In relation to the knee replacement invest in good crutches. I got mine shipped from Canada, Lucy B, or some type of band name. I was on them for 9 months stints so they were a real luxury and worth it.

First day in work here, Riyadh, during ramadan and I am starving already. I am staying in a hotel so I cant pack a lunch and eat in a manly toilet cubicle.

Jude13, how can you hate cinnamon?? :P
    Does you still have to comply with Ramadan even if you're not Muslim?

Some of you may know already from watching Late late show last Friday but I just saw this on Facebook that they started looking for performers for toy show! :D

In Riyadh yes, you have to sneak to the toilet for a sup of water in our office. I ate about 4am in the airport before flying here so hoping to get out of the office by 6pm to get back to the hotel for food.

I will be starving but still wouldn't eat anything with Cinnamon on it. It ruins so many things.

We have yet to get an elf in RTE to sort out as of us with tickets for that show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Another cinnamon despiser here. No need to ruin perfectly nice dishes especially deserts with cinnamon. Paprika is another pet hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm not a cinnamon fan either but I'll tolerate it. I love the smell of it. I generally can't stand many of the foods associated with Christmas, like Christmas cake, pudding and mince pies.

I suppose you have to be respectful around your team? But no water? Could you sneak in an energy bar?

I don't mind Paprika, I think it just colours things really.

Cinnamon (taste), marzipan (taste), tomatoes (texture) and cucumber (taste).

Don't know why people lash cinnamon into everything to make it christmassy. Cloves, now that's where Christmassy taste is at.

Crazyteach. I have taken to order two meal in the hotel at night and bringing one for lunch. then sneaking into a derelict kitchenette and eating it cold. Team of five, two showed yesterday, none today. They are only meant to work 10-4pm however yesterday we had a client presentation that went on past 11pm so its swings and roundabouts. They are also local so its tough to crack the whip at ramadan without getting a nasty email from HR.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I generally can't stand many of the foods associated with Christmas, like Christmas cake, pudding and mince pies.
    I'm the same- I like the smell and the idea of cinnamon, but I also don't eat Christmas pudding or cake or mince pies either so there's not really anything I'd be putting it in!

I sometimes put cinnamon sticks in the mantlepiece garland to give it a scent of festivity!

• Advertisement

I don't like fruit cake, mice pies, pudding or even turkey. Worst Christmas guest to have.

The paprika thing is more of an allergy really. Makes my lips swell and I sneeeze a lot.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm another one who hate cinnamon. It ruins a lot of perfectly yummy desserts.

Finally , other people who don't like cinnamon. We should start a support group:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm here to support cinnamon, it is delicious in apple pie among other things :)

miamee wrote: »
    I'm here to support cinnamon, it is delicious in apple pie among other things :)

Was starting to think that I'm the only one who likes cinnamon here reading until I reached your post! :P

Uh oh. I sense trouble brewing. Back to Christmas related subjects. I didn't put my ornaments /fragile Christmas decorations away this year. I have them in an unused cabinet in the dinning room:) can look at them any time I want!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Uh oh. I sense trouble brewing.

We haven't had such dividing opinion since the great Roses/Quality Street debate back in 2014, before Cadbury's destroyed Roses forever.

Uh oh. I sense trouble brewing. Back to Christmas related subjects. I didn't put my ornaments /fragile Christmas decorations away this year. I have them in an unused cabinet in the dinning room:) can look at them any time I want!!

Haha!! I thought it was brilliant though because it showed me that not all Christmas freaks love cinnamon! So now I can tell my friends that it ain't because I'm obsessed with Christmas. I was like you, I didn't put away Christmas ornaments last year left them on window sills in the sun room but this year hubby checked and said to make sure I don't forget them! :rolleyes:

Your hubby is way too observant for my liking. I have a lovely Winnie the Pooh snow globe by the way:). Does anyone else collect Christmas snow globes?

I used to like Roses , never liked QS( used to take the green triangle when prompted by neighbours). Tried Lindt but not fussed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Anytime we are away, I always look out for Christmas tree decorations with the name of that locality on them....
    Loads of lovely memories on the tree....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement