Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

They were staring at me from the supermarket checkout, so I had to buy some mince pies :pac:

Kinda feel like having a mince pie and a hot chocolate and watching a Christmas film tonight! Might hold off one more day, I do love Halloween also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭angel_wings

WAKEY WAKEY people its Nov 1st.....we can all come out of the closet now :D:D Even those who hate Christmas have no choice but to accept its next month !!! ;) Now Halloweens over the real countdown can start :D

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

'Geo mesh'. It reminds me of a wide ribbon, can be used to decorate Christmas trees, really bulks them out. does anyone know where I can get it? Or does anyone here use it already? It's called geo mesh in the US. But might have a different name here....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

If anyone is looking for a nice snack for Christmas time, or the toy show, or even as a homemade Christmas present, you have to try Moose munch!
    It's basically popcorn covered in caramel and chocolate, I add salted peanuts and mini marshmallows to mine and it's yum!
    I just followed a recipe from YouTube, and substituted golden syrup instead of corn syrup.

http://youtu.be/HN5C-fuNU4g

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

'Geo mesh'. It reminds me of a wide ribbon, can be used to decorate Christmas trees, really bulks them out. does anyone know where I can get it? Or does anyone here use it already? It's called geo mesh in the US. But might have a different name here....
    It's hard to figure out what it's like from googling it. Is it like organza ribbon? I've attached a photo of the stuff I have. It's used in floristry so it's available in floristry wholesalers. Not sure if it's what you're looking for.

• Advertisement

It's hard to figure out what it's like from googling it. Is it like organza ribbon? I've attached a photo of the stuff I have. It's used in floristry so it's available in floristry wholesalers. Not sure if it's what you're looking for.
    I believe that is as close as I could possibly get! Do you use this on your tree to add glamour, and how is it to work with? Is it expensive? T'anks!

I only started using it this year for floristry so I haven't used it on my tree. I can't remember how much it was but it's definitely less than a tenner. You'd probably get it on eBay and the floristry wholesalers definitely have it.

I only started using it this year for floristry so I haven't used it on my tree. I can't remember how much it was but it's definitely less than a tenner. You'd probably get it on eBay and the floristry wholesalers definitely have it.
    Thank you! When you say less then a tenner, is that for a meter length or more? I don't know how much is on a roll. I'm after some gold stuff!

Depends on where you go but my roll is 15 metres and it was less than a tenner.

Thats Brilliant thanks bobblehead. Every year my tree looks nice, even if i say so meself! But I think it always lacked something, couldn't put my finger on it. If all else fails I'll use wrapping ribbon, as thick as I can get it, on the tree. My mother was here today. I was showing her a few of the bits and pieces that I bought lately. Told her I was gagging to start putting a few bits out (the ad's on the telly aren't helping!) , but felt that others might think it's too soon. She said 'nah, we always put ours up Dec 8th, nice & early' I had to explain that I wanted to start putting them up NOW. No, she didn't 'get' me either.

I hope the Christmas music channel start soon! Looking forward to having that on. True movies had a lot of Christmas movies on today.

• Advertisement

Do they use it for wreaths? Looks like those plastic shower puffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Photo taken from "only in Ireland" Facebook page

image.jpg

It's in Galway. C'mon fess up! Who is it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Chirstmas movies are already in on.

Chirstman 24/7 1 and 2
    True Chirstmas also started
    Only waiting for Sky Xmas

What the hell, I am off to hear Xmas song lol

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Do they use it for wreaths? Looks like those plastic shower puffs?

I think it's also called deco mesh also. It has a thin wire going through it, to make it plyable. I think it can be used for wreaths too yes. But not the plastic shower puffs.

I had a quick google so I know what it looks like now, will keep an eye out for it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I just watched Jingle all the way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

I am leaving for Ireland mid December so I want to get the most out of decorations here. When is it not ridiculous to put up my tree etc?

I cooked a turkey on the BBQ (braai) yesterday. Smoked it with hickory and it turned out amazing. If i knew how to post a pic i would.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,513 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In four weeks it will be the first of December!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

And in only three days it will only be 49 days to Christmas. Can't believe it's going to be into the forties already!

The Christmas Lights in Dublin City Centre are already up (unlit) on Clarendon Street, Coppinger Row and Wicklow Street. I'm just waiting for Grafton Street to follow suit now. :D

Jude13, if you're leaving in mid December you should be safe enough by mid November. The 20th of November is probably the earliest 'not ridiculous' timeframe for decorating- but it's up to you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

You mean I can't put up my decs tonight?? :(

I have been storing my tree in a very dusty basement and it is going to be seriously dusty. The plan is to put it together, place it in the shower and hey presto....I hope. Don't worry i will let it dry before I whack the lights on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Jude13 wrote: »
    You mean I can't put up my decs tonight?? :(
    Hell, stick them up when you want! I already have a snowman and bought a crib yesterday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

It's Christmas in all the shops, I love it :D Got some lovely stuff in ikea yesterday, some fancy Christmas drinks too! Great stuff in homestore and more today, half price on lots of the baking sets.

I need a bigger house and more cash!!

Went back to Homebase today, to price some wall art...... made a beeline AGAIN for he Christmas decorations. Go me a big box of mixed red & gold Baubels, & 9 meters of that 'tree ribbon' that has wire going through it. Same idea as the geo mesh I suppose but about 6inches too narrow. Beggers can't be choosers etc. Must get more rolls of it though, not enough :-( Picked up some beautiful 'picks' to add into the tree if there is a scarce bit. Cheap too.

Got some more snowmen, made of pottery, covered in glitter....done tastefully though! (not at homebase)

Right, there is a new Christmas shop after opening in the nike outlet centre in killarney. Very cheap too. Massive selection of Christmas bags, for putting gifts in. Loads of Cards, wrapping paper, etc. I was delighted to get a few packets of the coloured paper, you'd use to stuff down into the bags, instead of wrapping everything. Got a bag load in there. Very pleased with myself.

Ended up getting the wallart at Argos LOL.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    Hell, stick them up when you want! I already have a snowman and bought a crib yesterday. :)

Posy it's time to lose the witch hat and put on the santy hat!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Was in Limerick today, all the christmas decorations were being put up on the streets!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

The lights are up in Central London too, they won't be lit up for a while though - usually they get a celebrity to officially switch them on, don't know who it'll be this year though

There are Christmas displays in the department store windows too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

There used to be great lights down here in Cork years ago, but with the modernization of Patrick Street they changed to more modern ones and they're a disaster. To say they "blend in" would be an understatement. Most locals would prefer the old ones back.
    The shops and the Indoor centers around the city do a decent job so all is not lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

pa4 wrote: »
    Was in Limerick today, all the christmas decorations were being put up on the streets!

Oooh lights and trees are being switched on in cork on 17th November so I suspect they'll be putting up the trees on Patrick street in the next week or so! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

There used to be great lights down here in Cork years ago, but with the modernization of Patrick Street they changed to more modern ones and they're a disaster. To say they "blend in" would be an understatement. Most locals would prefer the old ones back.
    The shops and the Indoor centers around the city do a decent job so all is not lost.

You're so right there - remember the excitement years ago when they switched on the old gaudy lights, now they just "blend in" really as you say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Malahide have put up these horrible blue lights the past few years. Hate them with a passion! I'd much rather white or multi-coloured. Blue by itself is not a Christmas colour :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement