Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Ah! I'm so excited :D Mr glitz has just transferred to a new dept in work , and I was talking about buying one of the wooden boxes I see advertised on fb for our christmas eve boxes the other day. Just saw them again and said out loud oh I must remember to order those soon and Mr glitz told me no need he asked one of the guys in the workshop to make up 4 for him ! I'll have them on Wednesday I can't wait :) he loves me really hahaha <3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Last night was so Christmassy! Clear skies, hundreds of meteors and quite, quite, quite chilly! I said it felt like Christmas and the others grudgingly agreed.

Amazing experience that made me so ready for heading towards the dark half of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Felt quite wintery this morning wearing my 'winter coat' and with slightly darker morning! Didn't get to start on Christmas crafts over the weekend as I was sick with this aul cold but sure it is another sign we're closer to Christmas! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm calling it, guys. It's clearly winter. Put the Christmas trees up and bake some cookies for Santa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Finally my type of weather.

I'm not a big fan of the sun. I love the weather between how until January. Lovely it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm halfway through reading this thread and I ca't stop laughing. Thought some here might appreciate it too.
    https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3006341-Do-your-family-take-it-in-turns-to-pump-on-the-Christmas-tree

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

iguana wrote:
    I'm halfway through reading this thread and I ca't stop laughing. Thought some here might appreciate it too.

I read it as pumping UP the Christmas tree, was thinking of inflatable Christmas trees!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Finally my type of weather.
    Ugh, this evening's weather was the worst!!

I don't mind the darker evenings and enjoy the crunchy leaves and autumnal colour scheme, but "drenched to the skin within 2 minutes of walking out the door while trying to avoid being splashed by passing cars or stepping in puddles half a foot deep" weather is not my type of enjoyment at all.

iguana wrote: »
    https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3006341-Do-your-family-take-it-in-turns-to-pump-on-the-Christmas-tree
    Completely bizarre.
    Posy wrote: »
    Ugh, this evening's weather was the worst!!

I don't mind the darker evenings and enjoy the crunchy leaves and autumnal colour scheme, but "drenched to the skin within 2 minutes of walking out the door while trying to avoid being splashed by passing cars or stepping in puddles half a foot deep" weather is not my type of enjoyment at all.

I totally agree! I left work and within 30 seconds my shoes were completely soaked through. It was miserable. My husband had to put pyjamas and socks on the radiator for me to change into when I got home. Bring on the lovely Autumn weather at this stage. I've given up on the sun.

I had a gym type bag with me at work and when I got home I had to tip everything out of it and dry the bag on the radiator, while my shoes sat underneath it drying out. Miserable is the right word, Toto.

• Advertisement

I had a gym type bag with me at work and when I got home I had to tip everything out of it and dry the bag on the radiator, while my shoes sat underneath it drying out. Miserable is the right word, Toto.

When the bag gets that wet you know it's bad. That sucks.

I work near a tourist attraction and all the poor tourists were huddling miserably in our doorway.

Like, I know tourists aren't coming here for the weather, and many of those from hot countries find our climate refreshing, but you can do nothing when it is down-pouring like that. What a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,541 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just read on After Hours that tubs of Heroes and Roses were spotted in Dunnes in Limerick at the Weekend!

Just read on After Hours that tubs of Heroes and Roses were spotted in Dunnes in Limerick at the Weekend!

Yeah I saw them there today, with the snow motif on the Heroes. €8 though and the boxes were tiny, so I don't think they'll be snapped up too fast.;)

iguana wrote: »
    Yeah I saw them there today, with the snow motif on the Heroes. €8 though and the boxes were tiny, so I don't think they'll be snapped up too fast.;)

I remember last year we got some for the Rose of Tralee and the bags were very good value compared to the tubs!

I'm still sticking with my quality street tins. Can't bate a tin. :D

I'm still sticking with my quality street tins. Can't bate a tin. :D

My father is a compulsive hoarder bags/tubs are a lot easier to dispose of than tins!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

The weather today was miserable. It rained here constantly and this evening we had a very angry looking sky, thought we were going to have thunder, but we didn't.

I have also noticed that the summery potatoes aren't as nice, a sure sign that winter is coming (for me anyway). Time to make my scallion mash again. Yum.

I saw something a Jamie Oliver Christmas Cooking show on Sky today, can't remember exactly what it was, but I will check again and let you guys know :)

For anyone buying online, if you use any of these websites you will get cashback from your transactions, you probably already know this, but in case you don't, its worth registering and using them as the cashback can add up to quite an amount over time :)

http://www.cashbackireland.com/

For the UK (but Irish residents can register too)

http://www.quidco.com/ and http://www.topcashback.co.uk/

Anyone else excited for the Black Friday sales? I am already saving for them lol :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Had my first quality street last night. Bought them as a pick me up when I was in the shop. So that's the first christmassy thing I have done this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I haven't had Quality Street in years. :( I only liked the toffee penneys and toffee fingers from them though and I really miss those :(

This year I might treat myself and get some chocolates from Hotel Chocolat.

I'm redecorating my bedroom at the moment and already I am looking at what Christmassy things I can put it in from Nov onwards. :o

• Advertisement

Over here they seem to have more sweats just like the olden days in the packs. I will get a list when I am home.

They are my two favourites too.

Yay they just confirmed on the news that the BT Christmas shop is opening on Thursday!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

It's my first year to be in Ireland in the build up to Christmas in five years so I am so excited! Heading straight into BT after work on Thursday to buy a decoration for the new house! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

I must have missed the BT Christmas shop when I was in Dublin last year!! Couldn't see it :o If someone would be kind enough to post pics on Thursday so I don't miss it this year! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

It's my first year to be in Ireland in the build up to Christmas in five years so I am so excited! Heading straight into BT after work on Thursday to buy a decoration for the new house! :pac::pac::pac:

Yeah, we just put our BBQ away today & took out our tree to get it spruced up & ready for Xmas. Going to BTs today for some new tinsel & a chocolate Santa, then we're going down the woods to cut us some holly to decorate the porch @ the weekend!

Not long to go now.

I must have missed the BT Christmas shop when I was in Dublin last year!! Couldn't see it :o If someone would be kind enough to post pics on Thursday so I don't miss it this year! :P

It's usually on the third floor in the home section.

I just told my colleague that it's opening this week and from her reaction I don't think she's really on board with it. I have enough Christmas enthusiasm for the two of us though so it's okay.

I had to come home last weekend and miss the Christmas shop. There is usually a good Christmas shop in the bottom of Dubai Mall, I stook up some pics of it a few years back. I will do the same when it pops up. Pottery barn also go all out for it.

I was in Heatons yesterday, the toy section has grown since last week and the staff were putting out more toy stock. And there are loads of Playmobile Advent calendars for sale. Heatons suddenly filling with toys is my first sign of Christmas. I wasn't sure if it would happen this year as they briefly shut Heatons to replace it with Sports Direct but then they opened Heatons again in the smaller upstairs. So hopefully once the Back to School and garden stuff is gone they will fill it with toys and decorations. I really regret my decision to only buy one Christmas chopping board last year, so hopefully I can rectify that grave mistake soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

My father is a compulsive hoarder bags/tubs are a lot easier to dispose of than tins!

I would disagree with you there - I'm sorry I didn't hoard more of them over the years...especially the good old square USA/Afternoon Tea tins.

The new tiny plastic boxes don't hold half the amount of stuff :D:D

• Advertisement

I haven't had Quality Street in years. :( I only liked the toffee penneys and toffee fingers from them though and I really miss those :(

This year I might treat myself and get some chocolates from Hotel Chocolat.

I just read that they're opening in Dundrum in October so if you're in Dublin at any stage after that you'll be able to have a proper browse and pick up some goodies. I like their advent calendars.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement