Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,542 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I never really appreciated the power of those toy ads until I heard that how sister in law got Santa presents sorted because of how kids react to it or scream Mammy I want that ;) speaking of it, I offered to buy few sets for Sylvanian families house as this is the main present from Santa - anywhere I could get them cheap? Saw few on eBay that may do the job just not same brand.

Shadow, I love the way you said just like Santa! :D

You and your sister make very good elves with all the help ye give Santa!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I'm in a few Christmas groups on FB and in one of them we're doing a Christmas card exchange. It's a great idea to receive cards from other countries and also to give them :)

P.S my Elf is still on the shelf ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Autosport wrote: »
    I'm in a few Christmas groups on FB and in one of them we're doing a Christmas card exchange. It's a great idea to receive cards from other countries and also to give them :)

That's a really lovely idea!

When I got home from work today the first thing my husband said was that he'd hurt the elf if it ended up in his work bag. :eek: Busted! I'll still do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

That's a really lovely idea!

When I got home from work today the first thing my husband said was that he'd hurt the elf if it ended up in his work bag. :eek: Busted! I'll still do it though.

You know not christmas related as such but I'm terrified of spiders like beyond terrified ! And of course my boys have those robot pet spider things that have glowing eyes and scuttle across the floor ... ( shudders uncontrollably ) I have found them in my bed under my pillow in my car and perhap most embarrassingly in my hand bag at a checkout in lidl. Well when I touched it then looked in my bag and seen these hairy legs
    .. the scream that followed was near slasher movie style comical.
    So if Mr toto is terrified of those dolls I feel his pain .. and from personal experience the lunchbox and bedside the loo rolls and in a bag or brief case are all great places to hide em :)

Autosport wrote: »

Hea autosport I wonder if we are in the same group :) is there always posts complaining about people complaining about bringing religion and saying happy holidays in your group too :p

• Advertisement

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    You know not christmas related as such but I'm terrified of spiders like beyond terrified ! And of course my boys have those robot pet spider things that have glowing eyes and scuttle across the floor ... ( shudders uncontrollably ) I have found them in my bed under my pillow in my car and perhap most embarrassingly in my hand bag at a checkout in lidl. Well when I touched it then looked in my bag and seen these hairy legs
    .. the scream that followed was near slasher movie style comical.
    So if Mr toto is terrified of those dolls I feel his pain .. and from personal experience the lunchbox and bedside the loo rolls and in a bag or brief case are all great places to hide em :)

I'd pay to see that scream in Lidl. :D Hilarious. I'm making notes of places to leave the elf. Can't wait now. He's not scared of it, he just thinks the whole thing is creepy. :D (He's wrong!)

I feel like there is some sudden need to declare ourselves lol :) so hi I'm glitz and I'm a permanent lurker here hahaha ... I have no life apparently .. yet I'm always busy :p

Just kidding. It's great to see so many members interacting and popping on to say hello.

2 of my best memories on here are 1 the day I joined I remember been so nervous to post even though I was dying to , bc everyone seemed a bit clicky and knew each other and i felt like I was intruding on some one else's conversation. And I couldn't have been any more wrong! :) not clicky at all just a great big christmas loving family who are always in great form :)
    And my 2nd was writing up the christmas glitz goes to the toy show thread. Every single member was so supportive and happy for me it was such a nice change from the jealousy and pettiness you see outside of this form.

The christmas forum on here really emits what the spirit of christmas is about all year around and I think that's why it's continously such a strong thread all year round. :) just my 2 cents worth

2 of my best memories on here are 1 the day I joined I remember been so nervous to post even though I was dying to , bc even seemed a bit clicky and knew each other felt like I was intruding on some one else's conversation. And I couldn't have been any more wrong! :) not clicky at all just a great big family loving family who are always in great form :)
    I met my husband on another forum on here and I hesitated to join in for the same reason but I was wrong and it all worked out! Glad you decided to post. You're one of the most Christmassy people here!
    And my 2nd was writing up the christmas glitz goes to the toy show thread. Every single member was so supportive and happy for me it was such a nice change from the jealousy and pettiness you see outside of this form.
    That was the best thread! And when we were looking out for you in the audience!

I'd pay to see that scream in Lidl. :D Hilarious. I'm making notes of places to leave the elf. Can't wait now. He's not scared of it, he just thinks the whole thing is creepy. :D (He's wrong!)

Oh toto i couldn't show my face in their for months it was moetifiying. Worse bc I mean I threw my bag on the floor I nearly passed out this massive trantuala like thing was sitting on my wallet and I'd touched it ... God my kids and mr glitz still laugh at me. Poor staff thought I was having an episode hahahaha.

Oh I'd totally creep him out leave the Elf just casually staring at him in bathroom when he goes in to pee in mid of the night I'd have such fun with that hahahah

I met my husband on another forum on here and I hesitated to join in for the same reason but I was wrong and it all worked out! Glad you decided to post. You're one of the most Christmassy people here!

Awh ! Toto you big softie .that's lit one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me :D and high praise coming from someone on this thread seen as we are all a little christmas crazy :p
    I'm so glad I did too this is my happy place haha

That was the best thread! And when we were looking out for you in the audience!

Didn't someone have a drinking game every time I popped up in the audience??! :D Well when I got home my notifications from here were just pinging out of it like crazy hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I feel like there is some sudden need to declare ourselves lol :) so hi I'm glitz and I'm a permanent lurker here hahaha ... I have no life apparently .. yet I'm always busy :p

Just kidding. It's great to see so many members interacting and popping on to say hello.

2 of my best memories on here are 1 the day I joined I remember been so nervous to post even though I was dying to , bc everyone seemed a bit clicky and knew each other and i felt like I was intruding on some one else's conversation. And I couldn't have been any more wrong! :) not clicky at all just a great big christmas loving family who are always in great form :)

The christmas forum on here really emits what the spirit of christmas is about all year around and I think that's why it's continously such a strong thread all year round. :) just my 2 cents worth

Well said glitzgirl! You summed up what it's like for a first time poster perfectly.

And your toy show thread was still one of my favourite moments in the Christmas forum. It was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yeah the toyshow thread is my fave too. So exciting to know someone in the audience. And couldn't have been a more Christmassy person.

When do they announce tickets? Maybe we'll have another similar thread this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Yeah Gltiz the Toy show diary was brill. And no one was, I mean showed that they were jealous.

I got pulled in by the Christmas Eve and tradition threads one year long ago when I was stuck in transit on the way home, was terrified of flying so copy and pasted the content of those thread on the ipad and read them during each take of and bumpy bits. I was hooked.

It's a very positive forum and I hope is stays that way. I'm sure we will get some trolls closer to Christmas but the moderators will be in top form I'm sure. And the those 'roses are better than quality street' 'fake tree is better than real tree' fishing comments that we all know are untrue stick out like a sore thumb........(hides under desk).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Couldn't agree more with all of you :) Ye are all such a happy bunch, and when I'm having a bad day I come in here and it cheers me up!

Just reading the replies this morning :p Aww thanks guys :)
    Loughc agree that's probably how most first time posters feel. It can be hard joining in a conversation from the outside so if anyone is reading this and lurking .. take the plunge and join in :) we are all a happy bunch so you'll be welcome !

Whispered I'm guessing the end of October for tickets or first of November ?? Hope we get another member on board this year :)

Jude that's lovely to hear that it helped calm you. Although I will say the tins of sweets can be a real heated debate on here ppl feel that strongly or betrayed by them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Loved the Toy show thread. It was so exciting and I remember the next morning checking Boards every five minutes for the detailed post you wrote.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Seeing as we have a few elves active on this thread at the moment, I think the Know Your Elves concept has ran its course and it's time to but that elf back on the shelf for a while, but I do like the idea of doing something each Monday to get us through the next 13 Mondays before Christmas.

So any ideas or thoughts?

I was thinking of doing Boards.ie Greatest ever Christmas Film, where you'd nominate your favorite Christmas movie and then depending on the number of Noms we'd go into a straight head to head knockout tournament until there is only one Christmas Film left standing.

But I am open to all ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    Seeing as we have a few elves active on this thread at the moment, I think the Know Your Elves concept has ran its course and it's time to but that elf back on the shelf for a while, but I do like the idea of doing something each Monday to get us through the next 13 Mondays before Christmas.

I was thinking of doing Boards.ie Greatest ever Christmas Film, where you'd nominate your favorite Christmas movie and then depending on the number of Noms we'd go into a straight head to head knockout tournament until there is only one Christmas Film left standing.

That or christmas TV adverts... I really get a buzz of nostalgia looking back over the old ones.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Will that be like the review we had a while ago where we do a write up on your favourite films each week ? Or have I totally got the concept wrong ?

Agreed about know your elves concept :)

Oh probably a crazy idea but there are quiet a few craft and baking types on here. What about a 12 reciepe countdown we could all do a mini bake off or set a challenge as we get closer to christmas like host a snowman themed breakfast etc. People can share there pics and snaps of it at the end of each week ?

Or ( and this one is Def more up my street :) ) we could do something similar to that fly lady cleaning thing. Do a thread from with a detailed post each Monday or jobs to get done or tips to help get organised each week ? We always have a quiet a few questions about that every year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

The pics are a great idea. Seconded.

Oh probably a crazy idea but there are quiet a few craft and baking types on here. What about a 12 reciepe countdown we could all do a mini bake off or set a challenge as we get closer to christmas like host a snowman themed breakfast etc. People can share there pics and snaps of it at the end of each week ?

I really like this idea!

Will that be like the review we had a while ago where we do a write up on your favourite films each week ? Or have I totally got the concept wrong ?

Agreed about know your elves concept :)

Sorta, but not, haha. So essential say we end up with Home Alone Vs. Muppets Christmas Carol, there'd be a poll for you to vote for your favorite of the two and you'd post your reasons why you picked one over the other.

The one with the most votes advances to the next round.

Sorta, but not, haha. So essential say we end up with Home Alone Vs. Muppets Christmas Carol, there'd be a poll for you to vote for your favorite of the two and you'd post your reasons why you picked one over the other.

The World Cup of Christmas Films! I wonder if Richard Osman would like to join in. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Jude13 wrote: »
    I'm sure we will get some trolls closer to Christmas but the moderators will be in top form I'm sure. And the those 'roses are better than quality street' 'fake tree is better than real tree' fishing comments that we all know are untrue stick out like a sore thumb........(hides under desk).
    Don't worry. Anyone posting that roses are better than quality street will be dealt the swift and harsh justice they deserve.

The World Cup of Christmas Films! I wonder if Richard Osman would like to join in. :D

I may or may not have stolen this idea from his Twitter Account from last year... May... :P

Ah ok got it ! Sorry couldn't figure it out total blonde moment. :p

Posy wrote: »
    Don't worry. Anyone posting that roses are better than quality street will be dealt the swift and harsh justice they deserve.

I'm in trouble then :pac: although I am a good sport and I buy a tin of quality street for Mr glitz he is very pro quality street :p many a late night drunken argument have been had in my house over christmas while doing taste samples :D

I really like this idea!

Thank you ! I don't have many but the occasional one is good :pac:

Thanks guys x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭DvB

A big round tin of Roses at christmas used to be great, sadly they took out half the different varieties a few years back & made them a tad more boring, reduced the size of the tin & then replaced the tin with a tiny plastic thing...such a shame that.
    Always preferred the toffee loaded quality street myself & even though the number of varieties have been reduced in them also (& the packaging has gone plastic also, they still win the battle of the crimbo tins IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement