Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Loughc wrote: »
    Yes I did indeed get the 7ft one. I love it. But one thing against it is, it's very wide and thick. Make sure you have the space to put it somewhere.

We just about make room for it each year, but it's totally worth it.

Perfect ! That's the one ! I would like one with a bit of depth at the base. Can you fit one if the wooden tree skirts / baskets underneath do you know ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Perfect ! That's the one ! I would like one with a bit of depth at the base. Can you fit one if the wooden tree skirts / baskets underneath do you know ?

I get a normal skirt in under it. I had a train that used to go around my old tree but it wouldn't fit under the new tree as the lower branches are quite big.

I am feeling soo festive today !

Seen my memories on Facebook from this day last year and I had already started decorating so running behind this year.

It was lovely to wake up to frost this morning give the kids their scarves and hats on the way to school :)

Spent my day morning prepping our christmas eve boxes and got some gorgeous hamper baskets in deals 2 weeks ago for 5 euro each. I always make up 2 x hampers for the 2 lovely older men and their wives that Mr glitz works with in the office :)

I get a normal skirt in under it. I had a train that used to go around my old tree but it wouldn't fit under the new tree as the lower branches are quite big.

Thanks for all the help guys xx can't wait am definitly getting that tree this year !!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,543 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I love when these come in the post!

23316478_1715064111860142_8129364722817593126_n.jpg?oh=6fdb267545c3045d3d311400a4c492bd&oe=5A98C575

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I finally bought a Christmas wreath last year, but didn't actually hang it up. How does everyone attach their wreath to the front door?! I'd rather not put a nail in the door, if I can avoid it, but I think it's the best way. I saw some hacks online using ribbon to go through the wreath and over the top of the door and then use a suction hook to attach it, but I don't know how secure that would be. I think the wreath would also move around a lot when the door is opened and closed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

pigtail33 wrote: »
    I saw some hacks online using ribbon to go through the wreath and over the top of the door and then use a suction hook to attach it, but I don't know how secure that would be. I think the wreath would also move around a lot when the door is opened and closed.

Hey Pigtail, welcome.

I've done the ribbon on the wreath before and yes it does move alot when opening and closing the door. It can also cause a slight knocking sound if the wind get a hold of it.

It's a small pain but it is worth it.

I finally bought a Christmas wreath last year, but didn't actually hang it up. How does everyone attach their wreath to the front door?! I'd rather not put a nail in the door, if I can avoid it, but I think it's the best way. I saw some hacks online using ribbon to go through the wreath and over the top of the door and then use a suction hook to attach it, but I don't know how secure that would be. I think the wreath would also move around a lot when the door is opened and closed.

That's one of the most common things I hear of people doing. They are these hooks you can put over the door but in my experience they don't fit over external doors.
    41iRoWR1uCL._SY355_.jpg
    Your other option is to get something like this but I have no idea how good they are.
    1.4563565750-85GiantSuctionCupwithhook-suctioncupsdirect.co.uk.jpg

We have a wooden door and a nail was hammered into it in the early 1990's and it's doesn't really stand out to be honest. They are loads of suctioney/sticky things on the market now tough.(Just make sure everything is dry) At the end of the day if it falls not much damage will be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Thanks Loughc and FreshPopcorn.
    I've seen those over the door hooks, but I have quite a tight fitting door, and I think it would just damage the door frame.
    I might try the suction hooks this year, I picked up some in HS&M earlier on in the year that are supposed to be able to hold 6kg in weight, so it should be strong enough. If not, I'll have to bite the bullet and hammer in a nail!

Thanks for the welcome :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Kajemo

for my wreaths I use the command strips hooks

they do them in all hardware stores and are so easy to stick on door, then when finished you can remove them no hassle. its what I've been using for the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I attach mine onto the door knocker using string.

This really only works well if you have a door knocker. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Posy wrote: »
    I attach mine onto the door knocker using string.

This really only works well if you have a door knocker. :pac:

Thank lordie someone else does that , thought it was just me !!

Yay the let’s see your trees 2017 thread is now live!

I love it when The new thread goes Live it mean it’s almost here.

Guys we are so close. When is everyone thinking about putting up their tree?

Just back from looking around home store and more actually. The kids tree is going up this Saturday hopefully mine will be going up then Sunday in the dining room :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Friday 1st December this year for me.

Need. More. Lights.

Brand new Christmas song out on youtube today from one of my favourite bands. So I'm very pleased.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

We generally put our tree up a little later than others on here. We generally put the window/outside decorations up around the 8th and then decorate the inside.
    We need to do a bit of painting this year inside and I want to get all this of done first. However whilst we put the tree up a little later we take it down later.

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Just back from looking around home store and more actually. The kids tree is going up this Saturday hopefully mine will be going up then Sunday in the dining room :pac:

Post. All. The. Pics.

Please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I think it’ll be the first weekend in December (2nd/3rd) this year when I put the tree up

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Probably the 2nd here. I’d love to put it up for the toy show but by the time I get home on Friday evening I’m only fit to shovel a take away into my mouth! Can’t wait to see everyone else’s tree.

I want mind up before the toy show but like that I wouldn’t have a hope of getting it done after a week of work. So I’m thinking of going the Sunday before.

Any excuse really haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We are putting ours up on the 25th Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Always the day of the toy show. Spend the afternoon decorating, order take aways about 8 and we crash in front of d telly for the night. Been doing it for years, we look forward to it for months in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Always the day of the toy show. Spend the afternoon decorating, order take aways about 8 and we crash in front of d telly for the night. Been doing it for years, we look forward to it for months in advance.

Lovely idea. Sounds like a fab way to spend the day.

0ZQrv

Post. All. The. Pics.

Please :)

The boys will only be too happy to have pics taken of their tree :pac:

It's a strict rule here .. all decorations and tree need to be up before the toy show or thr 1st of Dec which ever comes first.

Our family tradition is outdoor lights switched on from 1st Dec and christmas tree lights turned on day of toy show .
    I've tried in the past decorating the tree the day of the show but it takes hours and I'm stressed and rushed and don't get to enjoy the atmosphere of the toy show ! So all deco is done here by at latest last week of November and all boxes / containers cleared away . Then just to break out the warm fleece blankets , cozy slipper socks and order my take away .. heaven :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

Jay jr's birthday is the 4th, we try to hold off until after that to give him his own day then it's all guns blazing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

This is our exact plan for this year :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

The 24th/25th il put the tree up I wouldn't manage it the day of the toyshow I would be exhausted
    2 takeaways for me then... 1 for tree decorating and then the toyshow :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement