Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm loving Christmas 24. All the films are modern and while they're predictable (hardened businesswoman meets the quintessential nice guy and figures out the real meaning of Christmas - but wait, here comes the superficial ex!) they really make me smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I'm loving Christmas 24. All the films are modern and while they're predictable (hardened businesswoman meets the quintessential nice guy and figures out the real meaning of Christmas - but wait, here comes the superficial ex!) they really make me smile.

I'm Finding the same Toto loving them this year. Really loved a cookie cutter christmas :) it's definitly worth a watch !

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    I'm Finding the same Toto loving them this year. Really loved a cookie cutter christmas :) it's definitly worth a watch !

I'll keep an eye out for it! They're such happy films, aren't they? I was watching A Puppy For Christmas and I changed channels by mistake just before the end so now I don't get to see the main character getting with the guy she should be with. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

_Dara_ wrote: »
    My mother was telling me today that my dad doesn't like circular door wreaths because he thinks they are funereal. They have a sort of cross-shaped one. Anyone else ever heard of such a notion? :pac:

Yes!!! My in-laws are the same, looked at me in horror our first Christmas living together when I put a wreath on the door before telling me (very gently, as if they were breaking bad news) that I had a funeral wreath on the front door. I spent about a half hour trying to figure out if they were joking lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Ours will be put up on the 17th November, a little less than a month after that we will be home. We are inviting over two of our pals who are homesick to help decorate. I will make mulled wine from scratch and have a turkey on the BBQ. Christmas dinner in the evening followed by our first christmas movie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Mine is going up between 23rd and 25th of November. I haven't decided on the exact date yet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Ours will go up the weekend of Dec 9th/10th. I prefer to keep ours condensed to a c.3 week period. I find the years we put it up earlier it seemed less special by the time the holidays actually came around & we were sick of the sight of it by January, so we've decided 2 weeks before is time enough.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

This is my first year to put our own tree up! Not sure when I will!
    Have to buy first!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'll keep an eye out for it! They're such happy films, aren't they? I was watching A Puppy For Christmas and I changed channels by mistake just before the end so now I don't get to see the main character getting with the guy she should be with. :(

I won't spoil the ending for you Toto....but it was another lovely Christmas 24 film ;);)

I love all the new films this year - I've recorded all the weekend premieres as I don't normally get to watch them live....plus I can skip the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I expect to put up my Christmas tree about the 27th-29th of Nov. Normally do it for the Toy Show - although I won't get to watch live this year as I have a wedding that night!! But I know I will more than likely be 'delicate' after the wedding, so want most if not everything done before hand. That will give me three weeks with my decorations before I go to my mothers for Christmas and a week+ when I get back after New Year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

S had me awake through the night for the second night running so I ended up getting up for coffee at stupid o'clock this morning watching True Christmas. Now S is watching Christmas videos on YouTube and singing Jingle Bells while I make sausage sandwiches though we're still surrounded by Halloween decorations as it's his birthday tomorrow and he's having a Ghostbusters themed party on Saturday.

It's like we're living in a Rise of the Guardians sequel or something with the mish-mash of festivities going on here right now. No wonder the poor kid can't sleep!

chuckles30 wrote: »
    I won't spoil the ending for you Toto....but it was another lovely Christmas 24 film ;);)
    :D

Thanks! I looked it up on YouTube because I couldn’t handle not knowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

iguana wrote: »
    S had me awake through the night for the second night running so I ended up getting up for coffee at stupid o'clock this morning watching True Christmas.

Must have been the night for it, my little fella has me up since 3am teething :( I literally need a caffeine IV lol.

I've my window clean booked for the first week of December so will prob put the kitchen tree up after that & then the sitting room one the week after! Mr. CL likes a real tree for the sitting room but (thankfully) our house is too warm so if we put it up too early, it's pretty dismal looking come Christmas Day

I've had Heart TV playing whenever I can since it changed to Christmas music. OH came into the kitchen last night and asked "why are we listening to Christmas music?!" "Because it's nearly Christmas?" "It's a whole month away!!" "Halloween is over, therefore it's Christmas! How do you not know this about me, we've been together for how long and we have this conversation every year!!!"

Homestore & More Christmas delph & bedlinen.

Homestore & More Christmas delph & bedlinen.

I’m getting the first duvet set you posted this evening!

But wait, there's more!!! (Also, doormats. I stopped at this point because there was a staff member giggling at me who then said "wait til you see around the corner!" That's the aisle with the decorations. I didn't have enough time to take photos of everything that was there lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

For anyone looking for bed clothes Kavanghs have a good selection.

One last one, more of an informative one this.
    So if you go online to HS&M's website and check the stock levels of a particular item in your nearest store, they'll send you a voucher if their system says the store has stock. If you then go into the store with your printed out voucher and they don't have stock, you can exchange your voucher for a E10 gift voucher!!! It's their "in stock promise"!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,543 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Aldi Food Guide 2017!(They have a few new bits this year)

23434724_1716047198428500_14313540661727058_n.jpg?oh=228211fd7772dcc3dc84f013f0839b26&oe=5A9F367B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I love the Aldi food guide. Even though this year I will not be stepping foot in a shop after mid dec. I always have such lovely notions of happily skipping around the shops getting groceries for Christmas and the reality is so far removed. Trolly traffic jam and forgetting half of my list. Tesco online for me!

I'm torn on Christmas tree date. I had all plans for the 1st for the toy show. But would we be sick of it then by the 25th?Plus it's the little mans birthday on 13th. Maybe we should wait until after that for the tree so his birthday is his day. We can still do the late late toy show evening. What do you guys think? Anyone here with a mid December birthday? How was it done when you were a kid?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Whispered wrote: »
    I love the Aldi food guide. Even though this year I will not be stepping foot in a shop after mid dec. I always have such lovely notions of happily skipping around the shops getting groceries for Christmas and the reality is so far removed. Trolly traffic jam and forgetting half of my list. Tesco online for me!

I'm torn on Christmas tree date. I had all plans for the 1st for the toy show. But would we be sick of it then by the 25th?Plus it's the little mans birthday on 13th. Maybe we should wait until after that for the tree so his birthday is his day. We can still do the late late toy show evening. What do you guys think? Anyone here with a mid December birthday? How was it done when you were a kid?

My birthday is the 7th and the tree was put up on the 8th. Not because of my birthday though, but because of tradition. The reality was though that even in the 80s Christmas time was well underway by my birthday and Christmas parties, Santa visits, the Toy Show were always happening on the weekend nearest my birthday. And my birthday has always been part of the run up to Christmas to me.

As an adult I have always preferred to have the decorations up well before my birthday and be well immersed in the season in advance of the day. My birthday is part of Christmas and that's how I like it. S's birthday is tomorrow and we celebrate it as part of our Halloween-Christmas festivities as it's a week after Halloween and a week before the light switch on in town. I think it's more special that way. It also drastically reduces the post birthday blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

I picked up a late late show christmas stocking in pennys for my little one today I was going to get her a stocking in M and S the ones with the letter of your name on them but i fell in love with the late late show stocking! Im a little bit devestated that I wont be here to watch it with her on the 1st of December (typical the first night we go away on all year and its the night of the late late show) but i will fill it with yummy treats for her and a few toys and new pjs and give it to my sister to enjoy with her. My aunt brought her in a christmas chocolate lolly from Dunnes and she is currently hiding somewhere demolishing it.
    I also picked up an elf on the shelf in dealz I was gonna bu a real one but it was 40 euro in arnotts so dealz it is I like him he looks like a keeper. Also got a box of butlers hot chocolate and a lush butterbear bath bomb for our christmas eve box.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

Arnotts windows look spectacular!!! Also had to include a photo of the stocking its a beauty!!!

This is in the Aldi book!
    23380088_1716208328412387_5033511909772611455_n.jpg?oh=3397053d5256e927345f88f6451eff5b&oe=5A9C4BA2

Glitzgirl and I had a discussion about pigs in blankets earlier in the month. I just thought I'd let her know the fresh one's go on sale in Aldi on the 12th December!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Yes!!! My in-laws are the same, looked at me in horror our first Christmas living together when I put a wreath on the door before telling me (very gently, as if they were breaking bad news) that I had a funeral wreath on the front door. I spent about a half hour trying to figure out if they were joking lol

That's hilarious! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Sky Christmas is now live on Sky :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

McDonalds Christmas cups have arrived :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Glitzgirl and I had a discussion about pigs in blankets earlier in the month. I just thought I'd let her know the fresh one's go on sale in Aldi on the 12th December!

Awh thank you freshpopcorn for thinking of me ! Will definitly pick some up :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement