Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Just had the most delicious roast lamb dinner with my favourite festive veg - Brussels sprouts!! Love seeing them come into the shops :) actually considering doing lamb on Christmas Day now as it was so nice (would still do a ham on Christmas Eve for sambos)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Well, the decorations have started in my house.

The lights are around all the bookcases, and the garlands are up on the mantlepieces. It feels so homely and warm, I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Angeldelight my OH would happily have Lamb Christmas Day but I love the traditional Christmas dinner without the sprouts :) We will have Lamb on New Year's Day

Strictly hasn't even started on the TV yet and I've already had a second helping of apple tart with cream I think my stomach is in Christmas mode I'm being greedy

Hollister11 oh so cosy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

i put the tree up, but not lights or decorations.. odd like that i know haha

• Registered Users Posts: 30,545 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Kevin the carrot shopping bag!

23380041_1719353904764496_7552530092832046471_n.jpg?oh=4f7dcea2e4c2513a39714714c7f4d515&oe=5A9729C3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This day 6 weeks is Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Lamb on Christmas Day??? Not in my house.

We usually have turkey and ham for Christmas dinner but this year I really want to have beef for some reason (probably my mams new slow cooker). We have Lamb new years day.

In the shops today I picked up a Garland (the first one I ever bought - I am only in my house since 2013). Also a key that says (Santa since I have no chimney use this key instead. picked it up in choice). Also a Christmas Bow Tie for a special event coming up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Now Christmas is now live on Sky channel 370.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

So who else is planning to go and watch this when it comes out on 1 Dec?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,545 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

keep-calm-6-weeks-until-christmas-day-ho-ho-ho.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I had a super great weekend of organisation! We went to Halfords on Saturday to try our little girl on some bikes, then Homestore & more where we bought a SNOW sign & some paint your own decorations! Got my selection boxes in Tesco & wine for the Christmas!

Then yesterday, I made my Christmas Puddings! They smell delicious - literally wanted to eat them there and then! Also made a big christmas style dinner - it was fab. Having the leftovers for lunch today! Yum yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We boxed off the christmas beers, wines & spirits along with the mixers this weekend. As we're hosting this year it was larger than normal so wanted to get it ticked & off the to-do-list ASAP. Christmas pud & crackers, tablecloth & napkins etc. sorted also so thats it until after we get paid at the end of November... hard to believe only 1 payday before christmas now... delighted now we're 99% done, just really the food to get in the week itself & order the turky & ham....

its getting close!!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I had S's birthday party at the weekend. I normally love it but I had an ear infection, so 20ish screaming kids tearing my house apart wasn't as much fun as usual. I was so glad to get the place tidied up and finally put away all Halloween decorations afterwards. (It was a Ghostbusters party, so any decorations that were ghostly rather than Halloweeny had stayed up and been added to with anything ghostly I'd found on clearance.)

Tbh, I'd quite like more than 11 days to chill before starting the Christmas decorating. But on the other hand the house is gleaming, so it's fully ready to be decorated next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Sitting at my desk listening to Christmas music....a great way to brighten up a Monday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

I was singing the frog chorus this morning and my OH said she never heard of it so I threw it on youtube on the phone, first Christmas song of the year ticked off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Jude13 wrote: »
    I was singing the frog chorus this morning and my OH said she never heard of it so I threw it on youtube on the phone, first Christmas song of the year ticked off the list.

Lucky her! I can't stand that song. :D

Can't wait for Christmas FM to start now. It's not the same listening to Christmas music on Deezer.

Gorgeous cold day out there today. I have my first case of hat hair of the season!

Ha, no idea why it was in my head at all. I am really trying my best to hold off listening to Christmas music until Christmas fm comes on

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

hey folks!

Just a quick question, would love some advice :)

I'm staying with my girlfriend and her parents this Christmas and I don't want to come with my hands hanging! Of course I'll have gifts but they're having me for a few days and for xmas dinner.

Would love to do something as a "thank you for having me" gesture but not sure what.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

Colibri, been there and done that. Hamper is a great one. M&S, BT's or further afield if you have the budget.

Colibri, been there and done that. Hamper is a great one. M&S, BT's or further afield if you have the budget.

Wow that's a brilliant idea! I should've thought of that :D (not being sarcastic by the way!) thank you! Great stuff. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Another idea for a hamper Colibri is to make one up yourself, but make it with local artisan produce. I think Aldi or Lidl have hamper kits coming up where you get the basket/ribbons/cellophane. You can then get some local smoked salmon/cheeses/chocolates etc. There will be lots of local markets on in the coming weeks. Then add in wine/bubbly or something stronger if you wish and you can tailor it to the family if you know their likes/dislikes. Your money will go further doing the DIY approach too.

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Another idea for a hamper Colibri is to make one up yourself, but make it with local artisan produce. I think Aldi or Lidl have hamper kits coming up where you get the basket/ribbons/cellophane. You can then get some local smoked salmon/cheeses/chocolates etc. There will be lots of local markets on in the coming weeks. Then add in wine/bubbly or something stronger if you wish and you can tailor it to the family if you know their likes/dislikes. Your money will go further doing the DIY approach too.

Excellent suggestion, really. Thank you!!

And for the crack a set of earplugs for the parents. Don't forget to nudged the dad with your elbow and wink*

*as a father of a daughter this may not be advised

And for the crack a set of earplugs for the parents. Don't forget to nudged the dad with your elbow and wink*

*as a father of a daughter this may not be advised

Hahaha! I love it. They have a great sense of humour thankfully :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭pigtail33

It's actually being re-released this year! There are 12 choirs taking part for charity, and all the royalties are being waived. So I'm sure we'll all be singing it in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Colbri that's really thoughtful bringing some supplies to your girlfriends folks
    Brilliant suggestion Jude
    Me too trying to hold out to play Christmas music maybe next week as I get the decorations down
    Just back from a walk someone was putting up a tree near by I tried to take a photo but they must have been testing their Christmas tree lights as soon as I took my phone out the lights went out
    They've a big light up wreath on the wall of the house too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I'm eating my first Selection Box of the season this evening.

An M&Ms & Friends one. All small sized. All delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

This is my first Christmas working in 4 years, not actually over Christmas but I was on a career break. I’m really going to miss the full build up but I started putting up some decorations today, have the paint spruced up and have the 01st December booked off. Plan to finalize the decorations that day and then do the lighting ceremony for the toy show. Though I’m secretly hoping I get tickets but I have no luck when it comes to these things

Anyway, to help with the depression of being back to work I’ve purchased some cute lights for my desk, not sure if tomorrow is too soon to put them up or not ;0)

Defo not too soon RDB's. Also I have found working over Christmas not too bad to be honest, you get to browse Christmas sites and get paid for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I found out this week that I have to work part of Christmas. I have never worked over the Christmas period.
    I am working in a hospital and the consultants I work for are finishing on 20th December and not back until 8th January. On the other hand, I finish on 22nd December and back on 27th December. I am not allowed to use annual leave for any days during this period (even though I have the days to use) as, according to HR, the "office has to be manned". Realistically speaking, I can't do anything without the consultants there so it seems pointless.

Sorry for bringing the mood down but I'm just so annoyed.

However, I have started the Christmas shopping, a box of Quality Street, a box of Heroes, advent calendars, some drink mixers, a few more pressies and, most exciting, new decorations, including a new tree!! Very excited about the new tree, have had the same tree for 5 years!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement