Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

It sucks being an adult some time but sometimes Christmas work has to be done, bills need to be paid.

Found out today that I will be doing the driving from 23-26th December so not booze for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

That sucks, Erica! I wonder if that is a HSE thing? My mam works in the HSE as clerical staff & always has to work a day over the Christmas even though everyone else is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Hi all
    Firts time poster here but a regular viewer, anyway quick question.
    It’s our turn to host Christmas this year as we swap around each year we will have a house full on Christmas Day , I don’t mind the cooking as I love doing that, problem is money is very tight this year and between doing santy and regular Christmas stuff it’s leaving very little for the extra finer touches ...so anybody got any money saving ideas to help me get over Christmas Day and St. Stephen’s Day ..
    My siblings always go way out for Christmas and the kids have a ball so don’t want to be the one who disappoints...
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

harr, its all about the atmosphere and the craic, little touches can be nice but its more peoples presence then presents. In our family we stopped giving adults pressies, apart from a bottle of something as it was just a bit of a waster.

Hope it all goes well for you.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Getting the house painted the week we go to Euro Disney, so won't be putting up the tree till we get back. Think we're off in 2 weeks. The excitement hasn't kicked in yet, either with us or the smallies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

CheerLouth wrote: »
    That sucks, Erica! I wonder if that is a HSE thing? My mam works in the HSE as clerical staff & always has to work a day over the Christmas even though everyone else is off.

Yeah, it's a HSE thing. It's most annoying because I have the annual leave to take, it's not like I'm looking for free days off or anything.
    Anyway I may as well just get over it because there's nothing I can do about it.

On exciting Christmas news, I've also bought a few games, just silly things like "who am I?" and a little trivia game, kind of like pub quiz type questions. I feel like board games etc are fun for adults to play at Christmas along with a few boozy drinks :D because, despite all hoping and wishing, the TV viewing isn't always great so the games are a good distraction and also, it gets everyone chatting and giggling and having fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

I have all presents for kids in our family and the mincemeat is made- may make some more this evening though...just in case :P I spent a fortune on Sunday night ordering 9 Disney decorations from Disney store online. My mum picked up a wee snowy tree in ASDA for me- £35 for 6.5ft so hopefully it is decent now. Most of my pre Christmas cleaning is also done bar few guest bedrooms but it is just a matter of sweeping and dusting :D So excited now!

Ciara, your wedding sounds awesome! Please do post pics here afterwards and hope you have an amazing day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Cadbury's Christmas trifle!

OMG, what’s in it? I can’t make out the full description.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,545 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

_Dara_ wrote: »
    OMG, what’s in it? I can’t make out the full description.

It's basically chocolate moose and cream!(I think)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Beertons Euro Disney will be amazing have a fabulous time
    Ciara I hope you are having a fabulous week in the run up to your wedding enjoy every minute of it
    This week seems like a good week so far... busy but good
    my mother is doing really well after her spell in hospital it's the best I have seen her in over 16 to 18 months, she said she is looking forward to Christmas with us hopefully she remains well

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It's basically chocolate moose and cream!(I think)

And chocolate sponge at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Guys, those of you who have Nebraska tree, what is the width of it?

I'm thinking that one over the one from The Range but depends on the size. I know its 7ft so height wise it'll fit just not sure about width :o

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi Beertons, We went to Eurodisney 2 years in a row, early December. It is totally unreal. The second time, we got real snow on the day we arrived. It is a great time to go, q.s are not very long. The worst day was Sunday, where I presume, locals came for the day....

The Christmas music, especially for the nighttime parade, would put the hairs on the back of your neck....on edge....

I.m a bit of a scardy cat, and I dont go on the big rides, but I just loved the atmosphere, and people watching.

Enjoy.....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Guys, those of you who have Nebraska tree, what is the width of it?

I'm thinking that one over the one from The Range but depends on the size. I know its 7ft so height wise it'll fit just not sure about width :o

I don’t know the measurements off the top of my head. But it is very wide. It takes up way too much of my sitting room as it is. But it’s so pretty haha. 🎄

Anyone spot any lovely Christmas jumpers? I'm finding them all a bit samey this year.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Hi Beertons, We went to Eurodisney 2 years in a row, early December. It is totally unreal. The second time, we got real snow on the day we arrived. It is a great time to go, q.s are not very long. The worst day was Sunday, where I presume, locals came for the day....

The Christmas music, especially for the nighttime parade, would put the hairs on the back of your neck....on edge....

I.m a bit of a scardy cat, and I dont go on the big rides, but I just loved the atmosphere, and people watching.

Enjoy.....

I think we're going Monday to Friday. Had to source a double buggy again, as I believe we will walk loads. Bought snow gear for all last week, as I heard its fierce cold. Need to get a bicycle lock for the buggy too. All meals booked, itinerary kinda sorted. Everyone says the parade was their highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Its a nice kind of cold...not like here. Plenty of layers...and ye.l be grand.

What do you put on top of the kitchen presses decorations wise?

I think Gliz said something about a garland ? I am liking the sounds of it I've just been browsing Heatons and they have a nice cheap 9ft one I'm sure could spruce it up myself with extra decorations that I already have and but some battery operated lights

SarahLil wrote: »

I think Gliz said something about a garland ? I am liking the sounds of it I've just been browsing Heatons and they have a nice cheap 9ft one I'm sure could spruce it up myself with extra decorations that I already have and but some battery operated lights

Ooh yeah I think those garlands look lovely definitely with bits added to them and fluffed up.

• Advertisement

Thanks Erica you’ve convinced me Lol
    it’s my second year cooking Christmas dinner first year in my own house so since I will be spending a lot of time in the kitchen I would just love it, I’ll get the measuring tape out make sure one garland is enough

Regarding Christmas jumpers try men’s department in Penneys, Dunnes, Heston’s, Tesco I’ve seen a few bloggers online and they always seem to get lovely different stuff and surprisingly they are from the men’s department so it might be the same for Christmas jumpers

My wardrobe is smelling like Christmas candles!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

erica74 wrote: »
    On the other hand, I finish on 22nd December and back on 27th December. I am not allowed to use annual leave for any days during this period (even though I have the days to use) as, according to HR, the "office has to be manned". Realistically speaking, I can't do anything without the consultants there so it seems pointless.
    That's what I usually get off at Christmas. I think it's plenty! I normally work Christmas eve so it's nice to have that off as it falls on a Sunday. :)
    I used to work in a retail related industry and would finish up Christmas eve and be back in Stephen's Day so anything else is a bonus!

Christmas Day falling on a Monday this year does seem to shorten it though. But I'm looking forward to having a couple of days off to heighten the anticipation! Just try and make the best of things- read a Christmas book or watch a Christmas film at work if there's nothing to be done. :)
    Jude13 wrote: »
    harr, its all about the atmosphere and the craic, little touches can be nice but its more peoples presence then presents. In our family we stopped giving adults pressies, apart from a bottle of something as it was just a bit of a waster.
    My family is only adults! That would be awful! :pac:
    Check out the bargain alerts thread here, harr- and the likes of Aldi and Lidl do lovely fancy, but inexpensive, nibbles.
    Can you ask people to bring things too? Like someone could bring the Christmas crackers, for example. And I'm sure most folks will be bringing a bottle of something! Like Jude said, it's the atmosphere and fun that makes the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Posy wrote: »
    That's what I usually get off at Christmas. I think it's plenty! I normally work Christmas eve so it's nice to have that off as it falls on a Sunday. :)
    I used to work in a retail related industry and would finish up Christmas eve and be back in Stephen's Day so anything else is a bonus!

Christmas Day falling on a Monday this year does seem to shorten it though. But I'm looking forward to having a couple of days off to heighten the anticipation! Just try and make the best of things- read a Christmas book or watch a Christmas film at work if there's nothing to be done. :)
    I actually didn’t realise that a lot of people got long Christmas holidays until recently. My husband gets similar holidays and it seems short compared to other people but in fairness, it’s a nice free free days off. I’ve no idea when I’m off this year (I’m in a tiny start up so we don’t really have things planned that far in advance) but last year it was pretty decent. Great idea to read a Christmas book in work! Christmas Eve falling on a weekend makes a huge difference to people.

Love Actually was released this day 14 years ago!

23621378_10155541311661072_9087477632739342239_n.jpg?oh=a708e8cfda2f8b11668a5b8522f9f0ae&oe=5AACB515

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

SarahLil wrote: »

Hi Sarah ! Yes I put garlands along the stairs and top of kitchen presses. I use pre lit garlands or little string of battery lights and some clip on decorations to fluff it out a bit :)

I hope to be doing the same. My mam has done so for years but it will be the first time I have. I am on the lookout for an inflatable santa to put outside too. Going all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Just catching up on the posts. Great to read through them all delighted to see everyone is in good spirits too ! :)

Have had a cracker of a week and been so busy. Work is so busy this time of year and then my boys have endless appointments and assessments feel like I'm always on the go ! Thinking of asking santa for a PA this year lol :p

Did manage to get some more christmas shopping done. Mr glitz loves his gaming consoles and has a few. Managed to get an original 80s super Nintendo in original box for him so he will be thrilled. This thing is older than me so was really hard to get ! :pac: can't wait to see his face on christmas lol.

Most of mini glitz presents are done. I still pick up a bit here and there if I see something. But am busy prepping for our elf Jingles who arrives shortly.

New tree ordered from homestore and more ( yea finally !) And our original tree is up this weekend. Plus we are off to see santa arrive at whitewater this Saturday so that's always a lovely day out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

39 days 15 hours left!!!! cant wait

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement