Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I always feel so sorry for them. Not because of the snakes and spiders and stuff, but because they miss out on the build-up to Christmas.

Whilst I love the build up to Christmas If I got the offer of doing it for £250,000. I'd probably take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Loughc wrote:
    And just as I say that the tree and Santa don’t work for me

Only one worked 🎅🼠🀶🻠🎄

Mam of 4 wrote:
    Not one working for me

Is this working? ⛄ï¸Ã°Å¸Å½â€žÃ°Å¸Å½â€¦Ã°Å¸Â»

They never work for me... 🎅🎄â„⛄

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Thanks for the pics. It'll be next week before I see them in person. Love the buzz in town with the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

A quick post to say that we are having a Christmassy night watching Christmas Eve in front of warm stove with hot chocolate (dash of brandy!) :D hard to believe Toy Show will be on in less than two weeks! Have a lovely night elves I'll catch up on posts in morning at work to ease Monday blues ;) x

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

A quick post to say that we are having a Christmassy night watching Christmas Eve in front of warm stove with hot chocolate (dash of brandy!) :D hard to believe Toy Show will be on in less than two weeks! Have a lovely night elves I'll catch up on posts in morning at work to ease Monday blues ;) x

Sounds heavenly! Let me know what the movie is like. I wanted to watch it last week.

See you back on here in the morning :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Great pics kitten. Fresh popcorn, I’m having an early night as I can’t bear to watch I’m a Celebrity but I agree that it’s one of the signs that Christmas is getting close.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had the in laws over tonight too, and enjoyed a bit of hot spiced apple juice with brandy in it. :)

Also, determined to feel some Christmas cheer after the awful event on O'Connell Street, we baked our Christmas cake. Waiting for it to come out of the oven now. It smells absolutely amazing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Those body glide sticks are great..I use one on my inner arms if I’m going for a long swim and they really work. I’ve made a start on my pressies too. I’m so late this year, normally I’d be finished and would even have everything wrapped by now :eek:

It, bodyglide, got delivered yesterday and I lashed it on did the trick, no pain at all. I seem to be grand no matter what top I wear until the 12km mark, anything after that and its like a cheese grater.

We spotted a Christmas movie on Netflix, A Christmas Prince, and my OH said she would keep it to watch when I am not around as I would slag it. I swore I wouldn't as I was in a coma from a run so she threw it on. It was so bad it's good. It may be a new Christmas tradition to watch it. it well beats a Very Murray Christmas.

The airline at says 24 days to go!! Homeward bound, I wish I was....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

34 days

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

34 days

35 ;)

But that's just me splitting hairs.

Good Morning everyone! What a horrible murky wet morning... lets bring some Christmas cheer instead :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Loughc wrote: »
    35 ;)

But that's just me splitting hairs.

Good Morning everyone! What a horrible murky wet morning... lets bring some Christmas cheer instead :)

34 days 15 hours! so no its not 35 days

34 days 15 hours! so no its not 35 days

Well it is, cause on Christmas Eve you can say it's 1 day to Christmas rather than it's 23 hours and 59 minutes to Christmas, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Lets just agree it's this day five weeks!

Lets just agree it's this day five weeks!

Agreed! :)

And WHAT 5 weeks!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Had a lovely weekend, elves! Cleaned my kitchen presses, started to collect things to give to charity. Got a box of tayto & a box of biscuits to add to the Christmas collection plus some Schloer as wine with my dinner on Christmas Day = sleepy time & that wouldn't go down well with the kiddies lol! Also got the little fella an activity thing to clip on to the pram! And most excitingly of all, we put a deposit on a new tumble dryer :rolleyes:

Oh and I nearly forgot - I got the BOGOF Yankee Candles in Hickeys on Saturday - got the Christmas Eve one and the Perfect Tree. Lit the Christmas Eve one yesterday, it's lovely!

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Had a lovely weekend, elves! Cleaned my kitchen presses, started to collect things to give to charity. Got a box of tayto & a box of biscuits to add to the Christmas collection plus some Schloer as wine with my dinner on Christmas Day = sleepy time & that wouldn't go down well with the kiddies lol! Also got the little fella an activity thing to clip on to the pram! And most excitingly of all, we put a deposit on a new tumble dryer :rolleyes:

Which charity places collect toys? I have an attic full of stuff my wee one doesn't even remember getting some unopened.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Which charity places collect toys? I have an attic full of stuff my wee one doesn't even remember getting some unopened.

St. Vincent de Paul do a giving tree every year. The stuff needs to be new & with batteries I think:

https://www.svp.ie/Appeal-2017/Giving-Tree/Giving-Tree-guidelines.aspx

I'm doing a mix of that & also collecting some old clothes & toiletries for Drogheda Cares which works with the homeless.

Some stats for ye on a Monday morning because who doesn't love stats!

Below is a table showing the number of posts for 2017 as of yesterday and how that compares to other years. As you can see we've already surpassed 2007-2011 totals and will easily pass by 2013. 2015 was a whopper year for us (that was the year Glitzgirl got Toy Show Tickets) and her excitement brought more foot fall and posts for us.

Posts Var YOY Var vs 2017
    2017 4,923 -1,896 -
    2016 6,819 -397 1,896
    2015 7,216 2,357 2,293
    2014 4,859 -104 -64
    2013 4,963 -466 40
    2012 5,429 2,037 506
    2011 3,392 -395 -1,531
    2010 3,787 1,765 -1,136
    2009 2,022 1,947 -2,901
    2008 75 59 -4,848
    2007 16 -4,907

We are about 100 posts away before this thread will have to be locked and a sequel thread setup. This thread alone has almost been viewed half a million times!

We still have plenty of time to make 2017 our biggest year yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Some stats for ye on a Monday morning because who doesn't love stats!

Below is a table showing the number of posts for 2017 as of yesterday and how that compares to other years. As you can see we've already surpassed 2007-2011 totals and will easily pass by 2013. 2015 was a whopper year for us (that was the year Glitzgirl got Toy Show Tickets) and her excitement brought more foot fall and posts for us.

We are about 100 posts away before this thread will have to be locked and a sequel thread setup. This thread alone has almost been viewed half a million times!

We still have plenty of time to make 2017 our biggest year yet!

I suspect (but could be completely wrong;)) that the number of people posting in here has probbaly increased also, for example I found it by accident as it appeared on the recent posts on the homepage & until then didnt even know it existed.
    Glad I did find it though, love dipping in occasionally early in the year & more frequently from September onwards to the big day!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    I suspect (but could be completely wrong;)) that the number of people posting in here has probbaly increased also, for example I found it by accident as it appeared on the recent posts on the homepage & until then didnt even know it existed.
    Glad I did find it though, love dipping in occasionally early in the year & more frequently from September onwards to the big day!!

No you are not wrong. We certainly have more posters in here and more importantly we have more good reoccurring posters like yourself who like to drop in and enjoy the build up with us nuts! :)

I found it (and boards) due to the snow in Christmas 2010. Have basically never left. If was not here I wouldn't be on boards to be honest. Its strange I only ever use it until I get home, then when I land I'm very rarely on. I don't like using boards, or anything really on a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I found it (and boards) due to the snow in Christmas 2010. Have basically never left. If was not here I wouldn't be on boards to be honest. Its strange I only ever use it until I get home, then when I land I'm very rarely on. I don't like using boards, or anything really on a phone.

It's pretty much the only forum I post in too.

Offbeat Donuts have launched their Christmas donuts. I'm all over the Mint Chocolate, Irish Cream Liqueur and Lebkuchen.

https://www.offbeatdonuts.com/our-donuts/

Offbeat Donuts have launched their Christmas donuts. I'm all over the Mint Chocolate, Irish Cream Liqueur and Lebkuchen.

https://www.offbeatdonuts.com/our-donuts/

Oh good god... I need them...

Actually speaking of Irish Cream Liqueur have Bailey stopped doing their Christmas Limited Editions flavors, their mint one from years ago, was well... mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Oh good god... I need them...

Actually speaking of Irish Cream Liqueur have Bailey stopped doing their Christmas Limited Editions flavors, their mint one from years ago, was well... mint.

I'd never drink Baileys on its own, but that sounds like it would be gorgeous in hot chocolate.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Myself and OH went to two Christmas Markets at the weekenbd, Belfast on Saturday and Dun Laoghaire on Sunday. I was really impressed with Belfast, it was lovely, lots of delicious food and a lovely atmosphere. Got a few bits and pieces for gifts in the shops too.
    Dun Laoghaire is grand if you are in the area, very small number of vendors though.
    SO the lights got turned on in Dublin today. Did anyone attend the event?
    We ended up in town about 6.30pm so we were there just after the lights were switched on - lots of people, still nice atmosphere but not jammed. And the lights are so sparkly :D
    I'd never drink Baileys on its own, but that sounds like it would be gorgeous in hot chocolate.
    Spotted some Baileys hot chocolate at the Christmas Market in Belfast, it sounds amazing. You could only drink it in an enclosure next to the stand (drinking alcohol while walking about is not permitted, same with mulled wine :( ) so we gave the alcohol a miss. But I'll be watching out for it elsewhere now :D

Mu godmother makes Baileys ice cream, it is divine. That's the only time I have ever had it.

Mu godmother makes Baileys ice cream, it is divine. That's the only time I have ever had it.

I used to work in a sweet shop during college that did Maud's Ice Cream & they had an Irish Cream Liqueur flavour, it was delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I have to try this!!! Had to email the link to myself as apparently we're not allowed into alcohol themed websites at work :D:D

Made myself a lovely hot chocolate with brandy yesterday while watching Christmas 24.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement