Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Hubby just informed me that he had a free hour today, got parking in McCurtin street, and walked the length of Patrick Street, in search of a present for me. He knows what I want, but my 'surprise' present was going to be purchased today. He found NOTHING. Like...nothing.
    I said 'In the whole of Patrick street, and you found nothing at all i'd like?' If he had found something, I'd never have known about his mission. He has been (well warned) reminded there is only 6 weeks left. I'm kinda panicking tbh, cos I know if he can't find anything I like.....he'll find something...HE likes.

Reminds me of the Christmas special Gavin & Stacey, when on Christmas eve, Smithy attempts to buy some underwear for his girlfriend & wraps all his presents in tin foil!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

After a month of planning, 10 days of baking, insane quantities tomorrow is the day. I'm building the giant gingerbread house in work. I've never been so excited to work. We have to make 100kg royal icing to cover it, lots of marshmallows, jellies and other numerous things. It's going to be a lot of work for two people to do in one day but I can't wait!

I'll post pics tomorrow of it. If there's anything to make you get into the Christmas spirit, building a giant gingerbread house will do it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'd say the only thing better for the Christmas mood would be eating it!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    After a month of planning, 10 days of baking, insane quantities tomorrow is the day. I'm building the giant gingerbread house in work. I've never been so excited to work. We have to make 100kg royal icing to cover it, lots of marshmallows, jellies and other numerous things. It's going to be a lot of work for two people to do in one day but I can't wait!

I'll post pics tomorrow of it. If there's anything to make you get into the Christmas spirit, building a giant gingerbread house will do it :D

Bagsie being taste tester!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I LOVE christmas!!

I had a not so great childhood and christmas was always really rough so as an adult i have made sure to make happy christmas memories.

I love the build up. I love people slowly succumbing to the season. I love the cold, it'd be too weird to have a warm christmas. I love all the lights. I love christmas songs on the radio and all the christmas chatter. I love christmas food - it's the only time of year i allow myself to indulge. I love the days over christmas when you don't leave the house and watch movies and eat and snuggle in front of a roaring fire. And i love the new year. I love the prospect of new beginnings.

So that's me, loving christmas :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

i don't remember seeing it last year. I hope it's on this year though. It was the one ad that 'made' Christmas for me.

(I finally buckled, and lit 2 of my yankee candles. 'Christmas tree' and 'Cinnamon' the house smells divine, I prefer the Cinnamon to the Christmas tree, going back to YCS tomorrow, to get a few more, if funds allow!)

The thoughts of the Cinnamon one makes me feel sick, but the Christmas Tree one sounds delish. I am gonna see if I can get me one, and perhaps a snowy wintery scent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭DenMan

Harrods 2013 'The Christmas Express.' :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSsh63xhJPI

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Oh that's lovely! :) I saw the photos but I didn't realise it was a moving display.

Picked up 'Christmas memories' yankee today, for the main bedroom. Kids came home from school, asked 'what you baking mum?' !!!!!!!

it smells like homebaking, with a few spices thrown in, even the sniff of a ginger bread men. Was the last one in the shop! I wanted another Cinnamon stick candle, only had the small ones left, very popular. Some of the pillar candles were on offer (around €14) I didn't get these one those, cos I don't know if my shades will fit them.

34 days and counting.... tomorrow is when I finish Santa. That's one of those days when the hair gets pulled back into a pony tail, little make-up, comfy shoes. Practical handbag that goes across my body, and list in hand. Up at the crack of dawn, to get the housework done first. Dinner will be a fast one, tray of Chicken to the oven maybe. I have noticed the amount of cars around at the weekends has doubled, so I'm getting bits done Mon - Fri. No panic the w/ends then. Kids have their lists made already. They always ask for stuff out of the Argos gift guide. They never ever think of Smiths! Which makes life easier for moi! I'll book what i can tonight online.

One Santa is done, I can relax. I suppose ye are all the same, it's only then I can totally relax into it. i have the meats got. A Supervalu turkey from weeks ago, and Lidls best for the rest. Santa, & beer for the boss, post the cards & I'm ready!

(I know I am painfully organised, but I'm an anxious person, and get a bit hyperventilate -y, If I don't stick to my yearly plan)

LOVING the Christmas music on Blissmass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

Random thing to post here, but I got Christmas nail decals on etsy for a few euro, very festive! Really getting excited now :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Picked up 'Christmas memories' yankee today, for the main bedroom. Kids came home from school, asked 'what you baking mum?' !!!!!!!

it smells like homebaking, with a few spices thrown in, even the sniff of a ginger bread men. Was the last one in the shop! I wanted another Cinnamon stick candle, only had the small ones left, very popular. Some of the pillar candles were on offer (around €14) I didn't get these one those, cos I don't know if my shades will fit them.

34 days and counting.... tomorrow is when I finish Santa. That's one of those days when the hair gets pulled back into a pony tail, little make-up, comfy shoes. Practical handbag that goes across my body, and list in hand. Up at the crack of dawn, to get the housework done first. Dinner will be a fast one, tray of Chicken to the oven maybe. I have noticed the amount of cars around at the weekends has doubled, so I'm getting bits done Mon - Fri. No panic the w/ends then. Kids have their lists made already. They always ask for stuff out of the Argos gift guide. They never ever think of Smiths! Which makes life easier for moi! I'll book what i can tonight online.

One Santa is done, I can relax. I suppose ye are all the same, it's only then I can totally relax into it. i have the meats got. A Supervalu turkey from weeks ago, and Lidls best for the rest. Santa, & beer for the boss, post the cards & I'm ready!

(I know I am painfully organised, but I'm an anxious person, and get a bit hyperventilate -y, If I don't stick to my yearly plan)

LOVING the Christmas music on Blissmass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

You're a hoot mashedbanana!

Random thing to post here, but I got Christmas nail decals on etsy for a few euro, very festive! Really getting excited now :-)

Gimmmmmmeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Just when I thought we were together too long for there to be any big surprises left, my O/H pulls the biggest one since popping the question.....

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

Oh Mashedbanana your scaring me with your super organsiational skills. I have never been so disorganised in my life. The reasons for that are good though as I returned to work in March after almost 5 Years big adjustment for me and the little people and we just finished a big job in our house knocking Walls and all that lark so total bedlam so we are only back to normal recently. I have Monday booked off work and I am gonna do all my shopping in one day. God help me !!! I have picked up one Santa thing half price in Argos and a few bits of stocking fillers in the book clubs that come in to work but other than that I have tonnes to do!

I have about 11 nieces and nephews to buy for too !!!

And you have your turkey !!!! I was wondering will Supervalu do the half price turkey offer this year I paid an absolute fortune for mine last year in a butchers so trying to cut costs a bit

washiskin wrote: »
    Just when I thought we were together too long for there to be any big surprises left, my O/H pulls the biggest one since popping the question.....

What a nice surprise ! I love them they are like the old fashioned lights my parents used to have. Do you know where he got them ?

Emcm wrote: »
    What a nice surprise ! I love them they are like the old fashioned lights my parents used to have. Do you know where he got them ?

Ebay. I had all but given up after being beaten on countless auctions over the past 2 years but he stuck it out. It's the set I had my heart on since our old one at home bit the dust. :) I still remember the night our late Dad arrived home with them......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Watching videos about how to wrap presents > cleaning the bathroom.

And no guilt because it's nearly Christmas. \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I love that you can get Christmas sandwiches everywhere! Soooo tasty, I'd buy one any day of the year! But since most places only have them around this time, I'll just make sure to eat plenty while I can :D

I love that you can get Christmas sandwiches everywhere! Soooo tasty, I'd buy one any day of the year! But since most places only have them around this time, I'll just make sure to eat plenty while I can :D

There's an Irish Crisp company doing a Roast Turkey & Stuffing flavour atm.......

washiskin wrote: »
    Ebay. I had all but given up after being beaten on countless auctions over the past 2 years but he stuck it out. It's the set I had my heart on since our old one at home bit the dust. :) I still remember the night our late Dad arrived home with them......

Ah that's so Lovely you will have precious memories of your Dad now

• Advertisement

Oh Mashedbanana your scaring me with your super organsiational skills. I have never been so disorganised in my life. The reasons for that are good though as I returned to work in March after almost 5 Years big adjustment for me and the little people and we just finished a big job in our house knocking Walls and all that lark so total bedlam so we are only back to normal recently. I have Monday booked off work and I am gonna do all my shopping in one day. God help me !!! I have picked up one Santa thing half price in Argos and a few bits of stocking fillers in the book clubs that come in to work but other than that I have tonnes to do!

I have about 11 nieces and nephews to buy for too !!!

And you have your turkey !!!! I was wondering will Supervalu do the half price turkey offer this year I paid an absolute fortune for mine last year in a butchers so trying to cut costs a bit

I know it's madness, we just (literally) finished an extension today, builders brought back my other door after fitting glass into it! So I know how it feels, this close to Christmas with a major build going on. Not to mention the dust!!!!! White stuff, that refuses to move! Blasted stuff. I feel your pain!

The turkey I got was a 10 pound one. Not huge, as the 2 little ones won't eat alot, so I need to only feed 3 adults, off it. As my 'sun' would eat the lamb of God! so a 10 pounder is more than enough. Tis nice to be organised but I have 'himself' driven demented about it! I also bought a leg of lamb, and for an odd day inbetween I got the 4 bird roast at Lidl, and a few of their other fancy options. Meat can be so expensive. But I have been thinking about it since mid summer. If I didn't have a few bit done, there'd be something wrong!

Another option if you are feeding alot on the big day, is to get 2 smaller ones, instead of 1 huge one (that resembles an Ostrich..remember Mr bean? lol)
    I have done that once or twice. And I have had Lidl turkeys, and they were fine :-)

Oh don't talk to me about the dust it's a nightmare it's like it grows overnight very hard to get rid of. My hubby just finishing the painting this week and thats it finally finished but I have my lovely new kitchen and my boiler stove to keep me toasty this Christmas.

I have 7 adults and 3 kids to feed so I normally buy a 16lb bird and a 10 lb Ham but my Dad buys that for me as his contribution to dinner which is great. I am big fan of Lidl myself and actually think their veg and fruit much better than the dearer supermarkets. They have beautiful stuff in for Christmas this year too lots of lovely Pate and cheeses and as for the chocolates and desserts I can't even think about buying them now or I would only scoff them all before the big day. I love the 4 bird roast buy it for Sunday dinners I actually Bought the Gammon joint with honey dressing for last Sunday dinner and it was delicious €5.99 and would easily feed 4 adults.

Just dying to get my decorations up but hubby won't let me till the 1st and he still thinks that's too early !!! Thinking of sneaky them up on 30th just to annoy him :-)

Oh don't talk to me about the dust it's a nightmare it's like it grows overnight very hard to get rid of. My hubby just finishing the painting this week and thats it finally finished but I have my lovely new kitchen and my boiler stove to keep me toasty this Christmas.

I have 7 adults and 3 kids to feed so I normally buy a 16lb bird and a 10 lb Ham but my Dad buys that for me as his contribution to dinner which is great. I am big fan of Lidl myself and actually think their veg and fruit much better than the dearer supermarkets. They have beautiful stuff in for Christmas this year too lots of lovely Pate and cheeses and as for the chocolates and desserts I can't even think about buying them now or I would only scoff them all before the big day. I love the 4 bird roast buy it for Sunday dinners I actually Bought the Gammon joint with honey dressing for last Sunday dinner and it was delicious €5.99 and would easily feed 4 adults.

Just dying to get my decorations up but hubby won't let me till the 1st and he still thinks that's too early !!! Thinking of sneaky them up on 30th just to annoy him :-)

Lol!, the funny thing is, once all the decorations are up, he'll probably turn around and say 'Aren't they lovely now' !!!!!

i must try the Gammon joint now, I never tried that from Lidl, just their normal smoked or unsmoked ham. Sounds really nice!

May the lord jesus please don't talk about dust. With 5 pets you have no sooner dusted than it's all back again.

So today I bought: Christmas Crackers ( have misplaced the ones I saved from last year :( ). A Christmas Snowglobe in Lidl that plays Merry Christmas ( I LOVE snowglobes ). Shortbread biscuits, Christmas buns, Mr Kipling Christmassy whirls and Blackforest ones. I may have bought more I canni remember!!!

Lidl have snowglobes that play Merry Christmas? How did I miss them? I wasn't in there yesterday, I'll have a look tomorrow. I love them too! In the US they have the globes that continue to move the 'snow' inside the globe until the winder winds down, how cool is that? I'd LOVE one of them. Saw them on You tube..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

In the US they have the globes that continue to move the 'snow' inside the globe until the winder winds down, how cool is that? I'd LOVE one of them. Saw them on You tube..
    I'm pretty sure Brown Thomas have those type of snow globes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

The Christmas tree went up tonight; tested the lights before putting them on the tree. Lights went on the tree and stopped working :( I'm so sad!

Lidl have snowglobes that play Merry Christmas? How did I miss them? I wasn't in there yesterday, I'll have a look tomorrow. I love them too! In the US they have the globes that continue to move the 'snow' inside the globe until the winder winds down, how cool is that? I'd LOVE one of them. Saw them on You tube..

Le link: http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-56E67A2B-314B9A6F/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=720
    The Christmas tree went up tonight; tested the lights before putting them on the tree. Lights went on the tree and stopped working :( I'm so sad!

That is the biggest load of reindeer pish ever when that happens :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

I love Love LOVE this forum!

Makes me wanna dance with Cliff and mull some wine and eat my way through a tin of roses. Here's to a fab Christmas season!

582970009_1383854082.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Loving how this forum bursts to life this time of the year! Here's to a great Christmas Season all!

This day next week I will be putting up my Christmas Tree! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement