Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We wrapped our lights around empty wrapping paper rolls last year. I bet we'll still have untangle them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Bobble head Panda...thats not a bad idea at all! I do the 'wrap around the thumb, round the elbow... & repeat' process. Might use your way this year...i mean next year! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Just looking at all your lovely trees and your lights are all perfect on them. My lights are a disaster every year, they never look right on the tree. Please tell me a foolproof way to position the lights so they look lovely. Love decorating the tree and house but I have nightmares about the tree lights.

*Sorry if this is the wrong thread and goes against the charter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=512444622196492

Very cute video from the Late Late Toy Show from 1990!! Gay Byrne was just a pure natural!

gypsylee wrote: »
    Just looking at all your lovely trees and your lights are all perfect on them. My lights are a disaster every year, they never look right on the tree. Please tell me a foolproof way to position the lights so they look lovely. Love decorating the tree and house but I have nightmares about the tree lights.

*Sorry if this is the wrong thread and goes against the charter.

Hey gypsylee welcome to the madness! there is no perfect way to do lights. Some people put them on first, others dress the tree, then add the lights. Personally I put the lights on first. LOADS of them. If your tree can take 4 sets at 200+ a set, then pile 'em on. this works for me.

Alos picks were a life saver for me. Very cheap too. You can stick them into the tree where ever you might have a dark spot, or a bare spot. Great little things.

Merry Christmas :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

These two songs make it feel so Christmassy for me and are my favourites! I have started listening to both again just recently. Would love to sing these songs as part of a choir. Maybe one day! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Thinking of buying a box of roses and a box of celebrations just for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

The madness begins today. It is a military operation of completely re-arranging the living room to get the Christmas tree up so it starts a couple days early

I'll chime in here. I have 400 led lights all on the one 'string' (they came that way). I bought a cheap reel type yoke from my local (god I dunno what you'd call them, they sell all sorts of paint, screws etc and then set up a Christmas area). The lights get wrapped round it to prevent tangles. I'll take a pic of it once the lights are off it and on the tree. I tend to have to put the tree in the centre of the room and run round it with the lights, up and down about 4 times or more, then push the tree into place and put the decs on it!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

hdowney wrote: »
    I'll chime in here. I have 400 led lights all on the one 'string' (they came that way). I bought a cheap reel type yoke from my local (god I dunno what you'd call them, they sell all sorts of paint, screws etc and then set up a Christmas area). The lights get wrapped round it to prevent tangles. I'll take a pic of it once the lights are off it and on the tree. I tend to have to put the tree in the centre of the room and run round it with the lights, up and down about 4 times or more, then push the tree into place and put the decs on it!!!

just go to any electrical wholesalers and ask them for some empty electrical cable or alarm cable reels , they will throw out some for free . i use them to wrap my lights on them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OMG I have to start cleaning the house tonight! Didn't get around to it at the weekend and the decorations are meant to be going up on Friday!! :eek: It's all systems go even though I think I have a cold coming on :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Some posts moved from the Tree Thread to tidy things up.

Great tips about Christmas light storage, folks! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I ordered 4 sets of lights for the tree in my garden \o/
    I need to re-arrange the sitting room before i even think of putting a tree up.
    I am thinknig of getting a smallish planted one and putting it in to the garden after...might be a bit ambitious though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Packing my suitcase for the Cologne Christmas market! Got my Christmas jumper and skirt packed, my snowman hat on my head and Christmas songs on mtv :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Need to clean the house tomorrow night too for operation Christmas on Friday haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Also began the house cleaning operation this week before putting up the majority of my decorations on Sunday (have put up a sneaky few in the meantime). Washed my windows last weekend so they're all ready to rock some decorations. Going to finish the cleaning on Friday and Saturday and then Sunday it's going to be decorating time :D

So excited!

Got santa hats for my dogs today. I have a fussy great dane and let me tell you now the great dane is not happy about the santa hat situation. Managed to get the hat on him earlier for a little trial run (get him used to it) and he spent the whole time shaking his head. I'm hoping I'll get at least one good picture of the three dogs together before they all start swinging out of each other lol

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Drove by a couple of estates that usually have great lights and one of the houses is covered in lights already. I let out a little squeal. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Ye are all so organised!!! I've nothing done yet, except a few bits and pieces bought, but nothing substantial. I've been sick for the last week, so the house is a tip and I was hoping to get the tree up in time for the toy show. :( at this stage I just want to be well again for it!
    Anyone any ideas about how to keep an active 18mth old away from the tree for 6wks?!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Köln!!!!!!!!!!!! Christmas markets!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

It's officially Christmas now - Posy's got her Santa Hat on! :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My Christmas nail polish has arrived!! :)

10164096?wid=280&hei=343&op_sharpen=1

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Ye are all so organised!!! I've nothing done yet, except a few bits and pieces bought, but nothing substantial. I've been sick for the last week, so the house is a tip and I was hoping to get the tree up in time for the toy show. :( at this stage I just want to be well again for it!
    Anyone any ideas about how to keep an active 18mth old away from the tree for 6wks?!

Not alot you can do to keep the elf away from the tree, s/he will have their fun with it, and you will spend every evening re-arranging it. But eventually s/he will get bored with it. Careful of the beads though, if you use them, mine had a tendency to pull them off the tree, and almost pulled the tree on themselves.

It's watching their face light up, when you turn the room light off....and turn on the Christmas tree lights..... the amazement and wonder on the 'ickle faces....

So today was the begnin of operation re-arrange house. It didn't get off to a good start. Nothing is done :( However I 'may' have purchased a Christmassy dish for the large star candle going on the table on Christmas day, paper plates and napkins for the few nibbles, and a candle bridge for the window!!!

Now I am mega peeved cos I was thinking of changing up my windows this year - normally covered in lights and the like, this year was gonna have the candle bridge, fake sno in the corners and some snoflake window stickers. But the only snoflake window stickers I can find are hideous large rubbish ones :(

My mam's new phone came this morning. Tis a Christmas present from me to her, but she got it today cos her old one went kablooey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

Saw this on the I Love Christmas facebook page :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

The Christmas Cds are going into the car in preparation for the drive to the airport for the Christmas market in Brussels!! Whooop Whooop!

Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

We wrapped our lights around empty wrapping paper rolls last year. I bet we'll still have untangle them. :D

No, that actually works really well! We've been doing it for years.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

The excitement is bubbling up in me now. Hurry up Christmas!!!! :D

:(:(:( Supposed to be putting the tree up today. Have come down with flu. Can't move :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

:(:(:( Supposed to be putting the tree up today. Have come down with flu. Can't move :(:(:(

Jaysus, you got the flu very fast hdowney! :( I'm hoping all decorations will be down from attic by the time I get home this evening!

• Advertisement

Oh hdowney, I was making shortbread while ago, & did a bit of tidying up around the house. I got this drained feeling wash over me, usualy thats a viral thing for me.I hope it's not though, this evening of all evenings it gonna be a busy household. & I don't just mean the excitment of the the Late Late to show.Tomorrow I have arranged to take a few small kids out for the day. But right now, I feel like death. All of a sudden, must be viral. If I do get to see the late late tonight, ill be eskimoing myself on the couch. I hope you feel better soon, and that by Monday, we will both be on the road to recovery.

On the plus side, you can always sit on the couch and supervise/direct the decorating process, while sampling some hot whiskey (something similar). Hot rum and brandy are brilliant for the 'flu' btw. Fingers crossed that Santa bring you something extra nice, for being sick on the run up to Christmas. :-D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement