Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Emcm wrote: »
    Make sure to post some pics on the Christmas tree thread I love looking at all the trees.

Isn't it great to have it all done I have all the fires lit and the kids are watching The Santa Claus I just love this time of year

Oh it was beautiful last night - all the little night lights were lighting and the tree and garland were twinkling - felt reeeealllly Christmassy :D

This morning I felt even more Christmassy cos I heard the first Christmas song on a non-Christmas radio station and saw all the trees up in hotels and outside the City Hall on the way to work. Also saw the lights of the Grand Parade Christmas Market so I'm all festive now :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The Cologne Christmas markets (Weihnachtsmarkt) are simply magical, and I'd thoroughly recommend them to anyone to enjoy that real Christmassy buzz! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Came across this on Facebook and it made me smile :)

fubddh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

So I am finally feeling a little more human :) Yay Now if I can just get the damn drain problem fixed we'd be flying. I 'think' I have figured a way around putting the tree up without moving all the furniture (which means if I can just get an hour when the drains aren't up I can fling the dogs outside and lash the ole tree up).

The Christmassy spirit is a bit thin on the ground in me this year. I think partly cos I been sick but also we are skint broke, and the no presents thing because of it. I don't mean to sound all greedy and materialistic. Tis just there is only the mam and me. And I'll feel crap if I have bought her nowt and I KNOW she'll feel crap if she has bought me nowt, and the tree sitting there without a present under it. And all the traditions (stocking in the morning in the mammy's bed, presents once I have slung the dinner on, a present on Boxing Day just to keep the day alive) won't happen which will add a dampner to the day. Honestly Christmas is really depressing me for the first time ever, and I am Christmas mad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

hdowney wrote: »
    So I am finally feeling a little more human :) Yay Now if I can just get the damn drain problem fixed we'd be flying. I 'think' I have figured a way around putting the tree up without moving all the furniture (which means if I can just get an hour when the drains aren't up I can fling the dogs outside and lash the ole tree up).

The Christmassy spirit is a bit thin on the ground in me this year. I think partly cos I been sick but also we are skint broke, and the no presents thing because of it. I don't mean to sound all greedy and materialistic. Tis just there is only the mam and me. And I'll feel crap if I have bought her nowt and I KNOW she'll feel crap if she has bought me nowt, and the tree sitting there without a present under it. And all the traditions (stocking in the morning in the mammy's bed, presents once I have slung the dinner on, a present on Boxing Day just to keep the day alive) won't happen which will add a dampner to the day. Honestly Christmas is really depressing me for the first time ever, and I am Christmas mad :(

Could yous maybe agree between the two of you to set like a fiver/tenner to get each other something? Just so you have something to open on the day? Or get each other a jokey pressie from the €2 shop?

Get a DVD for yous to watch as a present for the two of you?

Or yous could agree to make each other something small?

• Advertisement

Could yous maybe agree between the two of you to set like a fiver/tenner to get each other something? Just so you have something to open on the day? Or get each other a jokey pressie from the €2 shop?

Get a DVD for yous to watch as a present for the two of you?

Or yous could agree to make each other something small?

Hopefully we will do something like that yep. Trying to come up with ideas that would work for both of us.

I hate being depressed round Christmas cos I love Christmas, but this year has just been such a shítty year getting worse and worse so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Gonna try (what little money I have) to see it out with a bang. Good riddance and all and hopefully 2014 will be my year :)

I'm with you on the good riddance to 2013! It has been stressful to say the least. Thankfully, it improved from September, but I won't be sorry to see the back of it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Came across this on Facebook and it made me smile :)

fubddh.jpg

LOL! very good!

I waiting to hear the one from Gay burn, the Christmas cake recipe one! Thats funny too.

Oh, and the letter.... can't remember. 12 days of Christmas one, I love that one too!

LOL! very good!

I waiting to hear the one from Gay burn, the Christmas cake recipe one! Thats funny too.

Oh, and the letter.... can't remember. 12 days of Christmas one, I love that one too!

Frank Kelly's Gobnait O'Lunacy one :D Classic. Off to rob that off the interwebs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

I hate being depressed round Christmas cos I love Christmas, but this year has just been such a shítty year getting worse and worse so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Gonna try (what little money I have) to see it out with a bang. Good riddance and all and hopefully 2014 will be my year :)
    Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    I'm with you on the good riddance to 2013! It has been stressful to say the least. Thankfully, it improved from September, but I won't be sorry to see the back of it either.

I've also had a really awful year. (bar moving in with my love, and volunteering at an animal shelter, both of which were great)

I usually don't like NYE as it often makes me feel a bit sad and emotional, but I really, really can't wait for it this year. I am so hopeful about 2014, I need to be, really.

Wishing you both the best for 2014. x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Hi all,

New to this thread :) Just wanted to get in on the chat, I give you my tree as a welcome-me gift! 2013 has been an amazing year, and I'm hoping 2014 will be even better. I had my Annus Horribilus in 2009/2010 so have worked hard to avoid it since! I loves Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've had a bit of a mixed 2013, a good few bad points, but for that reason I'm really looking forward to Christmas. We're going to make it as good as we can possibly make it and we're going to end the year on a high. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Hi all,

New to this thread :) Just wanted to get in on the chat, I give you my tree as a welcome-me gift! 2013 has been an amazing year, and I'm hoping 2014 will be even better. I had my Annus Horribilus in 2009/2010 so have worked hard to avoid it since! I loves Christmas.

Me likes your tree :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

In case you hadn't noticed I have a "MOAR STUFFS!" approach to tree decorations :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

The Cologne Christmas markets (Weihnachtsmarkt) are simply magical, and I'd thoroughly recommend them to anyone to enjoy that real Christmassy buzz! :)

More gluwein and roast chestnuts please :D

I want to go back every year!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I've had a bit of a mixed 2013, a good few bad points, but for that reason I'm really looking forward to Christmas. We're going to make it as good as we can possibly make it and we're going to end the year on a high. :)

Excellent point bobblehead for everyone who's had a bad year see it out on a high! Celebrate saying goodbye to it and the new beginnings a new year brings.

Oh and eat lots and be merry, you've earned it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Have had a bit of a rough year in some regards but am pleased to say one bad thing is almost fully resolved for us but the other one isn't resolved and won't be for a long time so I'm just trying to put it out of my mind for Christmas - it's going to make next year a very expensive year for me with various big medical expenses so we're just going to try to enjoy Christmas first.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Have had a bit of a rough year in some regards but am pleased to say one bad thing is almost fully resolved for us but the other one isn't resolved and won't be for a long time so I'm just trying to put it out of my mind for Christmas - it's going to make next year a very expensive year for me with various big medical expenses so we're just going to try to enjoy Christmas first.

We're in the same position with a lot of medical expenses this year and a lot more next year and forgetting about it over Christmas is exactly the right thing to do. :) Hope you have a lovely one and that things improve a bit next year.

More gluwein and roast chestnuts please :D

I want to go back every year!

All things being well my holiday next year won't be til nov/dec cos I am going from Berlin, to Amsterdam, to Cologne, to Nuremberg, to Prague, to Krakow taking in history and Christmas Markets :D

Frank Kelly's Gobnait O'Lunacy one :D Classic. Off to rob that off the interwebs

Stop, I cried with laughter the first time I heard that. DH has it here somewhere, I must dig it out :D

• Advertisement

We're in the same position with a lot of medical expenses this year and a lot more next year and forgetting about it over Christmas is exactly the right thing to do. :) Hope you have a lovely one and that things improve a bit next year.

Thanks, you too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Just saw the Corn Flakes ad for the first time this year, I thought they usually showed it on the 8th for the first time?! Maybe that was all in my head! Cutest ad, wonder where those kids are now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

dee_mc wrote: »
    Just saw the Corn Flakes ad for the first time this year, I thought they usually showed it on the 8th for the first time?! Maybe that was all in my head! Cutest ad, wonder where those kids are now?

I just saw on a FB page today this picture of the little girl, all grown up and married now. Felt much older after seeing it!

Screen-Shot-2013-11-30-at-13.51.30.png

Pang wrote: »
    I just saw on a FB page today this picture of the little girl, all grown up and married now. Felt much older after seeing it!

That is so funny, it just popped up on my own facebook feed within seconds of posting here! Yea it's making me feel a bit old too, nice to see her looking so happy (and fully grown up!) though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

That is so funny, it just popped up on my own facebook feed within seconds of posting here! Yea it's making me feel a bit old too, nice to see her looking so happy (and fully grown up!) though!

She is absolutely fabulous looking! So great to see her happy definitely when you think of what happens to many child actresses/actors. :)

That's my favourite Christmas ad! Must search for the facebook thing. Such a pretty woman.

I put up some more Christmas decorations this evening, if I stopped buying them I wouldn't have to keep putting stuff up...

That's my favourite Christmas ad! Must search for the facebook thing. Such a pretty woman.

I put up some more Christmas decorations this evening, if I stopped buying them I wouldn't have to keep putting stuff up...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=599651650083691&set=a.119680074747520.28222.110023629046498&type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭taytobreath

wow i just was looking at the add a few minutes ago and was thinking what an oldie of an add, but its an add that will never grow old either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

wow i just was looking at the add a few minutes ago and was thinking what an oldie of an add, but its an add that will never grow old either

My Paparoo was saying the exact same thing earlier. So simple and effective.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Some ads are just timeless.

I love your sig, by the way, mud. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement