Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Posy wrote: »
    Some ads are just timeless.

I love your sig, by the way, mud. :)

Why thank you. I ♥ KV!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Me too- I've probably read Slaughterhouse Five about 40 times at this stage. :o

Me too- I've probably read Slaughterhouse Five about 40 times at this stage. :o

I treated myself to: 'Love as always Kurt' which is a collection of letters he sent to one of his students from a writing group and 'Letters' which is a collection of (funnily enough) letters he wrote to loved ones throughout his lifetime.

Fabulous reads.

What a guy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Hmmm... Christmas present to ME this year? Why not!!? :pac:

Posy, I'm shocked! I do a "To Me, From Me xxx " every year :D:D:D

• Advertisement

May I draw your attention to www.bookdepository.co.uk ;) Free shipping all year round!
    Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    Posy, I'm shocked! I do a "To Me, From Me xxx " every year :D:D:D

Oh me too. Usually several things :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Update to the CornFlakes girl story! The little one was played by twins, one of which was apparently in Mean Girls!
    http://www.her.ie/entertainment/tv/photo-what-ever-happened-the-christmas-cornflake-girl/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Going back to Dublin (where I'm originally from) tomorrow to visit with my sister for the weekend, do Christmas shopping and have Christmas cocktails :)

I'm getting the train straight after work tomorrow but don't arrive in Dublin until 8:40p.m., just wondering if there is anything Christmassy we could do at that time? My sister lives near Blanchardstown SC and I'll be arriving into Hueston, anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

How is everyone doing today? I had a great successful weekend shopping have pretty much all sorted apart from hubby struggling to think of ideas this year. Santa visited our wee town yesterday and the kids had a blast lovely craft fair too and Carol singing lovely day out

Casserole in the oven have the little people upstairs cleaning their room as I said Santa liked little girls to have tidy rooms. I don't know what I am gonna do for bribery once January comes;-)

Then I think its time to watch Elf in front of fire that's my day sorted !!!

We're doing great thanks, horrible day here yesterday so we watched Home Alone 1 & 2 and A Christmas Carol. I can't put the wreath on the door today as the rain is banging off the front of the house - it too pretty to ruin. I've just finished the stairs, pleased with the end result. All in all, I think I have our house finished, I have to head off and do my parents decorating now. Enjoy your weekend x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Was reading the forum to pep myself up to get started with the decorations! All is out of the attic now. (the worst bit in my opinion)

Need to get something Christmassy on the telly to decorate too. Finally watched Decked the Halls yesterday. First time catching it the whole way through. Enjoyed it.

Hope the rest of ye are feeling okay and enjoying the preps!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

It has started :D I have bollix me collarbone (which is still healing from the car incident) shoving the chair over. And I have wrecked me ankle somehow but it has started. Kinda. The chair is moved and a suspicious stain mopped up (just waiting for it to dry so I can give a hoover over and remove the mound of dog hair - damn dogs shed like no-ones biznezz!) and away we shall go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Just finished watching Home Alone on C4 - never gets old. Overall I'm disappointed by the festive offerings on TV so far - very little to date so hope it improves.

Are there any decent Christmas films coming to the cinema this year? The Lighthouse in Smithfield (Dublin) is showing a few Christmas classics over the coming weeks which is fantastic, but any new ones to be recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Its up - would do happy dance but I pulled a muscle in my leg and twisted my ankle in the process :(

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Just finished watching Home Alone on C4 - never gets old. Overall I'm disappointed by the festive offerings on TV so far - very little to date so hope it improves.

Are there any decent Christmas films coming to the cinema this year? The Lighthouse in Smithfield (Dublin) is showing a few Christmas classics over the coming weeks which is fantastic, but any new ones to be recommended?

I can't wait to see Frozen, yes i know it's a kiddies movie. But nowadays some of the kiddies stuff, has alot of content aimed at adults, and can be quiet funny!
    (dats my excuse anyways!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Will you look at these....too cute!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Merkin wrote: »
    Will you look at these....too cute!!

Facebook? :pac: I saw them on it earlier (but I've seen them before too!)

leahyl wrote: »
    Facebook? :pac: I saw them on it earlier (but I've seen them before too!)

Yup! Copied lovingly from Buddy the Elf's fan page.....that's how much I love Christmas :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yup! Copied lovingly from Buddy the Elf's fan page.....that's how much I love Christmas :D

I'm also a fan of that page! Hahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Me too!!

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Me too!!

Ha, we must all be fans of the same pages :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I must have Christmas on the brain, I went to write the word cheque in work and I ended up writing Christmas hahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Got our first Christmas card today. I got all excited when I saw it in the hall. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

That reminds me, I need to get started writing mine!! Determined to get them written and posted in the one day this year.. there was a couple of years they went in the post on Christmas Eve!

I got my first Christmas card, over a week ago, if not longer! But it was from the U.S. I wanted to send mine out last Friday, so everyone would have them for Monday, but forgot. Sent them Monday instead. Like everyone, we have alot on from this weekend forward, and I needed to be organised. Or, I'd melt....or something over dramatic like that! lol

Btw, does anyone if Costa coffee (the nearest Starbucks is 300 mile away) have a 'Christmas Blend' that I can go buy? Assuming that Costa sells back of coffee for perking at home! this is a new found thing for me, and a great little tradition that i want to establish. My 'ol diet is limited, so I ADORE coffee. The idea of having access to a Christmas blend, would be my version of over indulgence! and certainly a treat!

I can't believe its only 2 weeks away!!!

I can't believe its only 2 weeks away!!!

I know! It will be here before we know it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Fellow Elves,I need some serious cheering up :(

I was in Harrods last Weekend and Christmas World has seen me for the last time. I was devastated when I got there - the place has gone from an absolute wonderland to a shadow of itself in the space of 4 years. Gone is the sense of your breath being taken away as soon as you walk in, gone is the wonderful selection of decorations and the layout had been made into a walk through so that it's over in the space of 2 minutes. I used to spend at least 1 - 1.5 hours there in the past. The stock has become tacky in the extreme, the same 10 or so designs in a few different colours and absolutely EVERYTHING has a gaudy Harrods label. No Kurt Adler, no Gisela Graham, nothing unique and certainly no feeling of being a child again helped in no small part by harsh lighting.
    I was afraid this was going to happen, I had the feeling the year before last but kept hoping the buyers would cop on. Sadly not.
    So, we have decided to stop going - it really is too sad to see how the new owners have ruined not only Christmas World but the Store in general (also gone are the Bazzar & the Candy Room).
    On the plus side - Brown Thomas & Stock are still making it lovely for Christmas Folks, so I'll be upping my visits :)
    Sorry about the buzzkill, but you're the only folks who'll understand.

Aww I feel your pain. Especially when it is a memory you treasure. Are you based in Dublin or London? If in Dublin I urge you to go into the Shelbourne reservations lobby (tucked away in the back) because they have an AMAZING ‘Shelbourne Express’ Train situated in the Hotel lobby and is already a huge hit with children and adults. The Pastry Chef Katie created the wonderfully magical set which includes gingerbread houses, reindeer, sweets and icing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Thanks for that, Merkin. Will make it my business to get there this Saturday. :)

• Advertisement

Aww, thats terrible Washiskin, especially if it was a tradition to go in there, and ramble for a few hours. Soaking it all in.
    But maybe a new 'haunt' is whats needed! Maybe that place Merkin suggested.

Had a look a the link Merkin...WOW! WE have nothing like that(that I know of) here in Cork.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement