Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I know it's only September and I AM usually one of those people who dreads the early chat about Christmas because it reminds me how much I have to do.

And it's also because I get into a panic because my mind goes blank when I try and think of gifts to get for my family. I always feel that I won't be able to find them good presents, but obviously it always turns out for the best.

So as I wouldn't get into a panic, I calmly sat down at the weekend with a glass of wine and made a few notes in my notebook.
    I scribbled down some ideas that popped into my head and after I'd written a few things down, I felt a bit better.

I had a peep on Amazon for some pressies and I've already got a good few ideas of what to buy, so (to cut a long story short), I think I might start buying things now.

If I buy a coupe of things a week, starting from now, it means I'm not panic-buying and I'd, hopefully, have everything well in advance.
    Anything for an easy life!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

So, yesterday I re-watched an episode of Kirstie Allsopp's Crafty Christmas show, and then this evening, I listened to Michael Bublé's Christmas album while going to pick up my boyfriend!

Now browsing craft websites for stuff I don't need :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Alicat wrote: »
    I listened to Michael Bublé's Christmas album while going to pick up my boyfriend!

Did you change over by the time you picked him up? :)

c_man wrote: »
    Did you change over by the time you picked him up? :)

Yes! I like to keep him sweet for just after Halloween because that's when I go bat-shit crazy and cover everything in glitter \o/ Don't want to burn him out too soon :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Haha! Love it.

I was out with the family recently for a meal (decent restaurant), only when I went up for the receipt did I realise that they were playing Christmas tunes! Boney M, then some song I didn't recognise! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I just got an email from Ikea Dublin, (after requesting information) saying their Christmas stock will be on the shop floor...... 14th October :-D

My Gisela Graham order is en route! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Broken Strings

Got engaged two weeks ago guys so I have to do pressies on a serious budget this year.

Any ideas? :D

Normally i'd have my shopping done by now but we went travelling around North America this year and it was our first big travel holiday so we splashed on that.

Things are going to be tight this year :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Alicat wrote: »
    My Gisela Graham order is en route! :D:D:D

Need a hand to unpack it ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 danceash

Hello to all in the Christmas forum! First time posting in here I think, don't know how it took me so long as I absolutely love Christmas like yourselves!

Anyway, as said above my local Boots have some of their Christmas stock in, earlier this year I think which is great. Also, I got my boosting Christmas coupons in the door today from them aswell. Always handy when shopping for Christmas presents :D

• Advertisement

There must be something in the air that has a lot of us looking forward to Christmas even earlier this year.

Like I said, I would normally ignore all chat and shop stuff relating to Christmas if it was September, but I dunno...I just FEEL Christmassy.
    Strange isn't it?
    It's such a lovely time.

I don't think there'll be anything wrong with me popping into the shops over the weekend to pick up something festive......will there?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've already bought a few festive bits and bobs, as well as having made my Christmas cake, so I certainly don't think so! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

Got my first ornaments, spur of the moment, today.

Irish Times says winter is properly on its way!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,519 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's the month after next!

washiskin wrote: »
    Need a hand to unpack it ? ;)

No way! Hands off! :D

*drapes self over the boxes*

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I just visited the Omni.... I nearly bought decorations in Penneys... but I did get cards in Tescos for €2 :D
    I've come home and written them :D
    All I need now is to be able to sleep through October....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Going to Abu Dhabi tonight for 4 days, hope to pick up most of Christmas pressies there. That plus amazon and I will have them all done by the end of Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It's Christmas weekend again this weekend on Food Network. My personal favourite, Fanny Cradock making a mincemeat omelette, will be shown several times.

It's Christmas weekend again this weekend on Food Network. My personal favourite, Fanny Cradock making a mincemeat omelette, will be shown several times.

Last time she was on, I thought she was Bridget Jones' mother when she ran off with the guy from the tv. Fanny was scary...

What is a mincemeat omelette? I think I'm going to get sick.

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    Last time she was on, I thought she was Bridget Jones' mother when she ran off with the guy from the tv. Fanny was scary...

What is a mincemeat omelette? I think I'm going to get sick.

Found it on You Tube. It really is something else.

• Advertisement

I'm really not sure what to say to that, Bobblehead. I've so many unanswered questions.....how did her sleeves not go up in flames? Why did she click her fingers at the other lady and not get a smack in the mouth? Why was icing sugar involved? Have you made this? Did you get food poisoning?

At least, the crazy lady admires the Housewives of Britain. Thats something I suppose :D:D

Yeah she treats that Sarah one really badly. :D I haven't made it. I hate mincemeat and even if I liked it I wouldn't be making an omelette out of it! Someone who likes mincemeat needs to try it. For the good of the forum.

Who is going to be Head Elf here and do it for the team? I'd be Puking Elf if I gave it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,519 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Has anybody seen an mince pies out yet? I was looking for them over the last few weeks and tried a good few places and didn't see any of them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Has anybody seen an mince pies out yet? I was looking for them over the last few weeks and tried a good few places and didn't see any of them.

Tesco have some down in their seasonal aisle. Tesco clarehall have some for sure.

I BOUGHT SANTY NAPKINS!
    DON'T JUDGE ME!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

https://rjbstone.com/product.php/358146/0/nordic_christmas_house_advent_calendar

Dress my home just advertised she will be stocking this !!! Oh my god I think I am in love <3. Will I wont I that is the the question???? €63.95 hubby might just divorce me or I could just tell him I got it in Penneys for a tenner

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've never seen Fanny Craddock before. Dear God, what was that??! :eek:
    Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    I'm really not sure what to say to that, Bobblehead. I've so many unanswered questions.....how did her sleeves not go up in flames? Why did she click her fingers at the other lady and not get a smack in the mouth? Why was icing sugar involved? Have you made this?
    Yes- what the hell? I was baffled enough before she did that! Bleeeurgh!!! *insert puking smiley*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Here's a flavour of the lovely Fanny via Wikipedia.

The Gwen Troake incident[edit]

In 1976 a housewife in Devon, Gwen Troake, won a competition called Cook of the Realm, leading to the BBC selecting her to organise a banquet to be attended by Edward Heath, Earl Mountbatten of Burma and other VIPs. The BBC filmed the result as part of a series called The Big Time, and asked Fanny Cradock, by then a tax exile in Ireland, to act as one of a number of experts giving Mrs Troake advice on her menu.

The result brought the end of Fanny Cradock's television career.[24] Mrs Troake went through her menu of seafood cocktail, duckling with bramble sauce and coffee cream dessert. Fanny, grimacing and acting as if on the verge of retching, claimed not to know what a bramble was, told Mrs Troake that her menu was too rich, and, though she accepted that the dessert was delicious, insisted that it was not suitable, declaring, "You're among professionals now, dear." She also scorned Mrs Troake's use of an ingredient for being too "English", insisting that the English have never had their own cuisine, and that "even the good old Yorkshire pudding comes from Burgundy".

Fanny suggested that Mrs Troake use a small pastry boat filled with fruit sorbet and covered with spun sugar, decorated with an orange slice and a cherry through a cocktail stick, giving the dish the look of a small boat, which Fanny thought would be suitable for the naval guests. In the event, the dessert was a disaster and could not be served properly. Robert Morley had also been consulted on the menu and said he felt that Mrs Troake's original coffee pudding was perfect.

When the dessert failed to impress, the public was annoyed that Fanny Cradock had seemingly ruined Mrs Troake's special day. Fanny wrote a letter of apology to Mrs Troake, but the BBC terminated her contract two weeks after the programme was broadcast. She never presented a cookery programme for the BBC again. (Mrs Troake, by contrast, published A Country Cookbook the following year.)[25] Speaking about the incident in 1999, The Big Time's presenter Esther Rantzen described Cradock as "hell on wheels", and that she had "reduced this poor little lady [Troake] to nothing".[26]

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I just booked my flight home! 22nd December, a bit later than usual but I am going on holiday first and it worked out the cheapest (probably because it is a Monday and everyone else will be flying to Ireland at the weekend)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement