Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Just seen the above mentioned ad and I have to say it put me in the Christmas mood :o

I can feel my brain switching from summer to winter now that my holidays are over! I swear I only have 2 seasons. I book my holiday in January to have something to look forward to then as soon as its over the Christmas prep begins! :o:o

I see everyone's on a hiatus since the good weather's appeared. I don't judge! But I obviously like Christmas more than you! :p:p:p

Only joking! Go soak up the sun. The vitamin D will do us good come December:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Well I was in my local today for lunch.... sweating cos of this weather and lo and behold... what came on but.... the pogues and you know who... it was so funny.... it was happy christmas all round the table. Still have it going round in my head... and seems very weird with the sun still shining outside...... the dry tank... well... the nearest resevoir I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭corklad12

I noticed that people in the last few days are in a very good mood because of the fine weather and it kind of reminded me about the good mood people were in around Christmas eve when people are looking forward to Christmas day with there families.

I think my love for Christmas has passed onto my children - they've just asked me to put on The Muppet's Christmas Carol. Of course, I said No :o I swear, I'm not currently sitting on the sofa watching it! :P

• Advertisement

Love2love wrote: »
    I think my love for Christmas has passed onto my children - they've just asked me to put on The Muppet's Christmas Carol. Of course, I said No :o I swear, I'm not currently sitting on the sofa watching it! :P

Well of course you're not. Whatever would make you think we'd even doubt you??? :D Ha, I checked my emails just there and I had one from Santa re my elf on the shelf! It arrived while I was filling a pool for the smallies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Ah I love it when its the middle of a blistering July, when I am filled with joyful thoughts of Christmas, that there is somewhere 'safe' to wander into and say it out loud... well write it... at any rate... I am so looking forward to Christmas!!!

There is an ad on the telly just now, where there is Christmas type music on and they are having a summer family get together but it mimics Christmas Dinner and everytime I see it I end up whistling Christmas songs for the rest of the evening! :)

Hope all the rest of you Christmas lovers are enjoying your sneaky Christmas pleasures too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

eskimocat wrote: »
    Ah I love it when its the middle of a blistering July, when I am filled with joyful thoughts of Christmas, that there is somewhere 'safe' to wander into and say it out loud... well write it... at any rate... I am so looking forward to Christmas!!!

There is an ad on the telly just now, where there is Christmas type music on and they are having a summer family get together but it mimics Christmas Dinner and everytime I see it I end up whistling Christmas songs for the rest of the evening! :)

Hope all the rest of you Christmas lovers are enjoying your sneaky Christmas pleasures too!

The fact that we're having such great summer weather at the moment makes me even more excited for a snowy Christmas!! :D I have a feeling it's gonna be a harsh winter this year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

leahyl wrote: »
    The fact that we're having such great summer weather at the moment makes me even more excited for a snowy Christmas!! :D I have a feeling it's gonna be a harsh winter this year :pac:

I was just saying that to my O/H at the weekend...... :cool:
    Needless to say he was less than enthusiastic about it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Happy Christmas Everyone!:D

*sorry, just practicing. Carry on.*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Got one or two more presents for Christmas today...
    /muststopbuying!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I haven't even made a Christmas list yet!! I'm so far behind!! :eek:

Happy Christmas to you too, Dexter! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

With 3 kids.....my Christmas list has already been made..for me! I tell you though, I'm not going to do the dog on it this year with 102 boxes of Roses,heros, and quality street. I'm gonna put in a serious effort and make ALOT of my on stuff. I did cookies etc last year, but this year I'm gonna go all American on it! and pull back a bit on the shop bought stuff. Kids always remember baking in the kitchen with their mum at Christmas time, and I would like my girls to have hat nice memory too. They are a year older now, so this year should be memorable for them. They also just finished their kids cookery school, so no doubt they'll be lecturing me on what to bake.

I certainly wont be cooking a full ham again this year, it truly was miles too much for us. Even though I froze a lot of it too. Live & learn I suppose. I have the kids driven demented with Christmas music, himself arrived home from work early yesterday evening, and I got 'that look' from him, as much to say..'She's at it again with that bloody music'. I love winding him up!!!

Things I must get this year: proper Christmas mugs, the nice ones! I even saw proper Christmas delph on-line. A whole dinner set, only in the U.S though I think. Pity :-(
    & the 3 gold light up boxes sold in argos. 3 boxes, larger, med, & small, with plug in lights weaved through them. Will look fab in the hall.(Looks like I've started a list!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

With 3 kids.....my Christmas list has already been made..for me! I tell you though, I'm not going to do the dog on it this year with 102 boxes of Roses,heros, and quality street. I'm gonna put in a serious effort and make ALOT of my on stuff. I did cookies etc last year, but this year I'm gonna go all American on it! and pull back a bit on the shop bought stuff. Kids always remember baking in the kitchen with their mum at Christmas time, and I would like my girls to have hat nice memory too. They are a year older now, so this year should be memorable for them. They also just finished their kids cookery school, so no doubt they'll be lecturing me on what to bake.

I certainly wont be cooking a full ham again this year, it truly was miles too much for us. Even though I froze a lot of it too. Live & learn I suppose. I have the kids driven demented with Christmas music, himself arrived home from work early yesterday evening, and I got 'that look' from him, as much to say..'She's at it again with that bloody music'. I love winding him up!!!

Things I must get this year: proper Christmas mugs, the nice ones! I even saw proper Christmas delph on-line. A whole dinner set, only in the U.S though I think. Pity :-(
    & the 3 gold light up boxes sold in argos. 3 boxes, larger, med, & small, with plug in lights weaved through them. Will look fab in the hall.(Looks like I've started a list!)

OMG you are too much! Hilarious! :D

Ha ha mashedbanana, I "found" Christmas delph in the US. Sadly they were only 4 place settings in each box - so I had to buy two boxes. But the best bit - DH had to struggle back to the hotel with them AND he had to get them back here. He wasn't too happy, reading it back, I can see why he wouldn't go to that Christmas shop (I'm NOT letting that go <:( ).

Homestore and more had the boxes last year - AND they had a little reindeer made from the same material, but they sold out quick :'(

Happy shopping all!

Edit: L*ttlewoods and W*odies sold the delph sets last year.

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    Ha ha mashedbanana, I "found" Christmas delph in the US. Sadly they were only 4 place settings in each box - so I had to buy two boxes. But the best bit - DH had to struggle back to the hotel with them AND he had to get them back here. He wasn't too happy, reading it back, I can see why he wouldn't go to that Christmas shop (I'm NOT letting that go <:( ).

Homestore and more had the boxes last year - AND they had a little reindeer made from the same material, but they sold out quick :'(

Happy shopping all!

Edit: L*ttlewoods and W*odies sold the delph sets last year.
    I have the reindeer! He's only handsome, It's cos of him I wanted the boxes!

I'd LOVE to get the full Christmas diner set, but it would probably cost a small fortune to ship it over if it was available for shipping. My Christmas table would be perfect then. Or I could buy a plain white set (like I saw for sale in dunnes not too long ago) and get creative with some Christmas stencils and proper paint. (I'm presuming there is actual paint out there specifically for this lol). Me feels a new project coming on!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

Mashedbanana I have those light up Christmas presents from Argos I just love them they look gorgeous under the tree in my hall. What's the reindeer one like don't think I have seen it? Can you get it in Argos too.

My kids are talking about what they want too a massive dolls house and a kitchen are the 2 favourite things at the minute but won't be rushing out to buy as they change their mind so often. I have started buying stocking fillers books and art sets through book clubs at work always have good value.

Emcm, the reindeer was only in Homestore and more, and he was stupidly cheap too, something around €25. He was there from November from what I recall. He is beautiful with his little red nose.

My smallies are great, the eldest is only 6 and its so, so easy to buy for her. Dolls houses, Sylvanians, Disney Princesses all the way.....

I don't know about any of you, but I think (Lego & Pixar Cars aside) the selection of toys for girls is way better than for boys.

Emcm wrote: »
    Mashedbanana I have those light up Christmas presents from Argos I just love them they look gorgeous under the tree in my hall. What's the reindeer one like don't think I have seen it? Can you get it in Argos too.

My kids are talking about what they want too a massive dolls house and a kitchen are the 2 favourite things at the minute but won't be rushing out to buy as they change their mind so often. I have started buying stocking fillers books and art sets through book clubs at work always have good value.
    Hi :-)
    I got my reindeer at Supervalu!!! He was the last one left, with no tag on him, so one of the girls said...'Emm, is a fiver okay?' :-D

He's 10 inches tall, and about 15 inches long, and only handsome, I assume they'll have them again this year. but I don't know the correct price, I was lucky is all. I remember the superviser shot the cashier a deadly look, LOL but I still got him for a fiver. Keep an eye out for them this year! :-)

A fiver that is brilliant what a deal will certainly watch out in Supervalue. I actually got my light up presents in Argos about a fortnight before Christmas 2 years ago in half price sale I was so delighted as in memory they were dear enough to begin with.

Definitely agree on more variety for girls there is so much to choose from To be honest sometimes I end up encouraging them to get stuff I want to play with myself. I have a total soft spot for wooden dolls houses and the Sylvanian family stuff is just gorgeous

• Advertisement

I wish Sylvanians were around when I was little! Maybe they were, but I was a total Sindy girl, lol. Poor DD, all her Sylvanian houses are boxed up as we recently sold our house and it took me that long put them back in their boxes that I'm damned if they are coming out until we get our new home. I practically itemize that stuff its so small!

I got my light up boxes in a local hardware shop here. They are red with big green bows, very festive. I was delighted with them until my brother asked me when I started supporting sports teams :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭corklad12

Just saw this on facebook. A Christmas themed shop has opened in Cornwall during the heatwave.

976019_10151562872337672_37623787_o.jpg

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-07-19/christmas-shop-opens-in-cornwall-during-heatwave/

corklad12 wrote: »
    Just saw this on facebook. A Christmas themed shop has opened in Cornwall during the heatwave.

976019_10151562872337672_37623787_o.jpg

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-07-19/christmas-shop-opens-in-cornwall-during-heatwave/

Theres no way I'd ever let a few UV rays between me and a shop ;)

That shop looks amazing wish I was in Cornwall ! On another topic does anyone know where I could get a really good Christmas garland for my fireplace I want ones like you see in American movies. Unfortunatey wont be in America anytime soon unless I win the lotto or something !

I have bought a few over the years but they are never right I would like one that I could loop up and down in front of fire rather than on top of mantel in that makes sense

This maybe more popular right now, than just for the Christmas Forum: :D

Oh the weather outside is frightful
    But the fire is so delightful
    And since we've no place to go
    Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
    It doesn't show signs of stopping
    And I've bought some corn for popping
    The lights are turned way down low
    When we finally kiss goodnight
    How I'll hate going out in the storm!
    But if you'll really hold me tight
    All the way home I'll be warm
    The fire is slowly dying
    And, my dear, we're still goodbying
    But as long as you love me so

Emcm wrote: »
    That shop looks amazing wish I was in Cornwall ! On another topic does anyone know where I could get a really good Christmas garland for my fireplace I want ones like you see in American movies. Unfortunatey wont be in America anytime soon unless I win the lotto or something !

I have bought a few over the years but they are never right I would like one that I could loop up and down in front of fire rather than on top of mantel in that makes sense
    This is what I did, as I had the same idea. (you know you have a serious Christmas 'problem' when you cross over and do things American style! LOL)

I bought a really nice one €20 plus. I don't know where you live, but some good hardware shops have really nice ones. I then bought a bag of pine cones, glue. Oh and a couple of rolls of wrapping ribbon, the material type, form ... Aldi I think it was.

I picked my favourite ribbon (it doesn't have be tartan) and wrapped it around the garland, secured it at both ends. Glued on the pine cones, you can go as heavy handed as you like.

I did this for both fireplaces, red ribbon on one....gold on the other. Then a set of white lights also wound around both. The lights just totally finish it all off.

That's my tupence worth! Using the same technique on the Christmas trees, with the ribbon, just transforms it. Makes it extra huge! not tackey!

Also, a bottle of 'Christmas burning oil' for the oil burners... a few drops here and here on the odd pine cone around the house....OMG!!!!! fab!

The fire is slowly dying

My DD would love you! She was outside yesterday singing Carols - as Gaeilge - I had to hunt her down and bring her in! :P

mashedbanana you are our very own little Martha Stewart!!! Your garland sounds beautiful.....I'm afraid I crossed the line on the US fixes years ago on my first holiday there ♥

The fire is slowly dying

Eekkkk!!! Makes me think of running through the shops out of the cold. Mulled wine and cinnamon. Baking, lots and lots of baking! Everyone in good form and children on their best behaviour. Sparkling lights and tinsel...... Oh you've just put me in the best humour! :D

• Advertisement

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    My DD would love you! She was outside yesterday singing Carols - as Gaeilge - I had to hunt her down and bring her in! :P

I've opened a SNOW thread in after hours- it's gaining some interest:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement