Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

delw wrote: »
    Not going to do the christmas jumper this year because to warm in it last year ( wife not happy :) ) so im going to look for a t-shirt instead but do pennys have any,can't recall seeing any

I got a minions christmas Tshirt in Pennys and they have a Santa suit Tshirt there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

ChewChew wrote: »
    I mixed my puddings on Saturday and left it for about 20 hours and then yesterday starting cooking them. Smell of christmas in my house is just amazing :D

This is what brings back childhood memories. A few years back my Mum got me to stir some flour, it was August and she said she would use it at Christmas for the puddings. She always had a thing that everyone had to stir the pudding mix. That year I wasn't going to be home for Christmas. Not really much of a tradition more an example of the crazy Irish Mammy.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Jude13 wrote: »
    This is what brings back childhood memories. A few years back my Mum got me to stir some flour, it was August and she said she would use it at Christmas for the puddings. She always had a thing that everyone had to stir the pudding mix. That year I wasn't going to be home for Christmas. Not really much of a tradition more an example of the crazy Irish Mammy.

Hahaha my mam made us do the same!!! And now I make the puddings, using her recipe of course :D so she's happy enough to sit back and eat rather than make :D

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Christmas fm now on the radio guys! 94.3 in the dublin area..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

amor3 wrote: »
    Christmas fm now on the radio guys! 94.3 in the dublin area..

Must be testing the signal before the launch on Saturday! :D

30 Days to go guys to the big day! Eeeeek!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Not going to do the christmas jumper this year because to warm in it last year ( wife not happy :) ) so im going to look for a t-shirt instead but do pennys have any,can't recall seeing any

Penneys in Dundrum had Christmas t-shirts last week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

That looks gorgeous! I'm a great fan of baubles as well, I fire them into bowls and glass vases with battery operated fairy lights :D I'd love to do the candle thing but my OH hates candles :( I made some of these a few years ago with just baubles and that paper ribbon stuff, they were soooooo easy to do and they look great:
    http://www.christmasstyle.co.uk/images/products/2434_2_1.jpg
    I am totally stealing that idea for the bowls. I never thought of it before :D

I used to hate having "little"* lights on all around the house, instead preferring the main light on, but now I'm kinda changing and prefer the "little"* lights.

*little = lamps, tea lights etc.

Everyone in my house hates candles as well, but they humour me and allow me to have them anyway :D

For the candles/baubles in that pic I won't be lighting the candles, they're for decorative purposes only! They're too pretty to light! :o

I also want to get these pre-lit twigs and this gold vase from heatons, and put it beside the Xmas tree, I think it will look so pretty. I'm doing red/gold colours this year :)

http://www.heatonsstores.com/pre-lit-twigs-18801484

http://www.heatonsstores.com/gold-vase-9172560

Imagine after all our counting that we are finally at the one single month mark. I prepared the playroom for the kid's Christmas tree. I don't care if it looks like the eighties puked on it, at least they have the fun of decorating. I might let them look at "my" grown-up tree :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    Imagine after all our counting that we are finally at the one single month mark. I prepared the playroom for the kid's Christmas tree. I don't care if it looks like the eighties puked on it at least they have the fun of decorating. I might let them look at "my" grown-up tree :D

The best kind of tree! :D

The tree in my parents' family room is a bit like that. Here's last years...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Alicat wrote: »

Mother of God!! I like it.

• Advertisement

I think it takes a certain type of Christmas person to appreciate it! :p

I'm sure the more modern Christmas fans are recoiling in horror :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We usually have one like that in my parents house, we used to decorate it as kids and we could barely reach the top so we ended up with a very bottom heavy tree. Despite everyone being taller, it hasn't really improved for some reason. At home I keep the tree simple with gold, silver, white, mirrors and glass. Every year we get a newbridge silver decoration, and try to get one to represent something significant that happened in the year, although it doesn't always work. This year though will be a baby one.

I'm sitting here doing my christmas shop online, I'll put everything I want into a "christmas" basket and then pick things up week by week, deleting them from the basket as I go along. I've got €40 worth of cheese in there at the moment, so I might have to tone it down a bit (I can't eat certain types at the moment but will be able to by christmas so I'm planning on a proper cheese binge!)

At what stage do you guys start to get in bits for christmas dinner? I usually get everything fresh the week of the big day, but this year will be doing an easy packet to oven dinner. I'm not sure how best to plan it!!

What christmas snack or staple could you not live without? I think mine would be loads of fresh rolls. EVERYTHING tastes better in a roll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

It's at times like this I wish I could thank posts more than once :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That's like my dream tree! It's not at all old fashioned!! Very modern in my opinion....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Whispered wrote: »
    We usually have one like that in my parents house, we used to decorate it as kids and we could barely reach the top so we ended up with a very bottom heavy tree. Despite everyone being taller, it hasn't really improved for some reason. At home I keep the tree simple with gold, silver, white, mirrors and glass. Every year we get a newbridge silver decoration, and try to get one to represent something significant that happened in the year, although it doesn't always work. This year though will be a baby one.

I'm sitting here doing my christmas shop online, I'll put everything I want into a "christmas" basket and then pick things up week by week, deleting them from the basket as I go along. I've got €40 worth of cheese in there at the moment, so I might have to tone it down a bit (I can't eat certain types at the moment but will be able to by christmas so I'm planning on a proper cheese binge!)

At what stage do you guys start to get in bits for christmas dinner? I usually get everything fresh the week of the big day, but this year will be doing an easy packet to oven dinner. I'm not sure how best to plan it!!

What christmas snack or staple could you not live without? I think mine would be loads of fresh rolls. EVERYTHING tastes better in a roll!

That's a lovely idea with the decoration, I might just copy it! :) I usually get a frozen bird and meat so I'd start picking them up maybe 3-4 weeks in advance. I'd buy the veg christmas week and everything would be defrosted by xmas eve morning when the prep would start. However, this year we are going to the inlaws so my only job is to cook a leg of lamb which I'll probably buy christmas week. You're a brave woman to be doing the dinner with a new baby :) How many are you cooking for?

I just booked my hair appointment for Christmas Eve :eek:

I just booked my hair appointment for Christmas Eve :eek:

I've my shellac booked! Must get the do booked as well....its the same stupid hair do I've had since I was a child, but however....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Bbc have announced some Christmas highlights today

http://www.live.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/xmas14

Bbc have announced some Christmas highlights today

http://www.live.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/xmas14

Awful lineup on bbc this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Loughc wrote: »
    Awful lineup on bbc this year!
    Yeah Loughc getting worse every year,hope Rte & others put on a better selection

( congrats on the modship )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

That's a lovely idea with the decoration, I might just copy it! :) I usually get a frozen bird and meat so I'd start picking them up maybe 3-4 weeks in advance. I'd buy the veg christmas week and everything would be defrosted by xmas eve morning when the prep would start. However, this year we are going to the inlaws so my only job is to cook a leg of lamb which I'll probably buy christmas week. You're a brave woman to be doing the dinner with a new baby :) How many are you cooking for?

Oh just myself and my husband. He will probably end up cooking a lot of it to be fair. Depending on how things are going. We have planned to go to his parents for a few hours Christmas Eve and his mam os a great cook and we will go to my parents on Stephens day where my mam will make Christmas dinner part two. So even if our own one isn't a thing of beauty, it's no problem. :)

I followed your advice and got my frozen main this evening (veggie so no turkey for me) and will pick up a frozen turkey next week for himself.

They had legs of lamb on offer in tesco this evening. I didn't even think to check the price. Might be worth Your while checking online. Oh and loads of the aunt Bessie stuff like roasties and croquettes were on offer. I wouldn't usually be so excited over frozen potato but anything for an easy life this year!

Yeah Loughc getting worse every year,hope Rte & others put on a better selection

( congrats on the modship )

Thank you! :-)

I really hope the other choices for tv are better or it'll be a DVD night in my house this christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭DenMan

Did my first bit of Christmas shopping this evening after work! This night four weeks time is Christmas Eve. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

Ahead of tomorrow nights Toy Show :)

These kids from Toy Shows of the past will get you into the festive spirit
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/these-kids-from-toy-shows-of-the-past-will-get-you-into-the-festive-spirit-652577.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Whispered wrote: »

I love fresh rolls, can't beat even a plain ham roll it does it for me! I've been trying to pick up goodies the last two weeks, we will be in my mams a lot so I buy all the goodies and treats for us as they look after the dinner itself, we have already been dipping into the goodies I can't blame anyone else it's only me that knows where the hiding place😄 I will pick up some boxes of sweets with this weeks shop and drop them straight to my mams! Need to pick up some goodies for the toyshow tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Had a cocktail last night called gingerbread house, it was like Christmas in a glass! More please.

Finally found the gingerbread icebergers too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I went mad in the fabric shop today- I do a lot of sewing for pressies. But look at the gorgeous Christmassy tartan I got!!! I'm going to make a bowtie for myself for the festive season, and maybe a few other bits. :D:D

329906.jpg

(i know it's technically upside down but I don't think it matters!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aoifo

Had a cocktail last night called gingerbread house, it was like Christmas in a glass! More please.

Finally found the gingerbread icebergers too :D

Oh wats the recipe please

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Got this today. Penneys is great for Christmas stuff.

product-21625-big.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Got this today. Penneys is great for Christmas stuff.

product-21625-big.jpg
    Was it expensive? I want to get a Xmas T-Shirt, but can't find one I like anywhere that I like :)

I didn't get my decs up in time for the Toy Show :( Hoping to get them up within the next two weeks. Fingers crossed :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement