Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ribbon covers all your mistakes!
    This x 1,000!
    I use between 3-6 meters of ribbon per present! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭DenMan

Came home from work an hour ago and our conservatory tree was up and decorated! It looks amazing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I went to the Christmas market in Stephen's Green today. It was quiet enough when I went, so that makes a difference, but I don't understand why the reviews have been so bad. I liked it. I'm sure it's nothing like the markets in Germany but it's a hell of a lot better than the one that was in the IFSC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

I went to the Christmas market in Stephen's Green today. It was quiet enough when I went, so that makes a difference, but I don't understand why the reviews have been so bad. I liked it. I'm sure it's nothing like the markets in Germany but it's a hell of a lot better than the one that was in the IFSC.

I suppose it's just kinda crap. Not being as bad as elsewhere doesn't make it any good. I guess the atmosphere is probably better than in the IFSC, but if it's busy it's just uncomfortable and impossible to browse really. To avoid an unfair comparison with one on the continent, compare with Eyre Square, which is, to be fair, an awful lot better (well, last year's was anyway!). More space, more stalls, more variety, more atmosphere. If I want to feel penned in by people, buggies and stalls, I'll go down Mary street the last Saturday before Christmas ;)

The Galway one was slated when it started too. I enjoyed myself today. I was in town anyway, not specifically to go to the market, and I had a nice wander through, bought a crepe and had a quick look at some of the stalls. You wouldn't spend ages there, and it wouldn't be fun if it was packed, but I went there expecting it to be rubbish and it was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Was at that a couple of weeks ago - was with a couple of friends, and were deterred when we saw the line to get in go up half a street, so went for a walk through the green instead - a while later we came out the entrance at the far end of the market, and saw we could just walk back through it the opposite way, no queuing.

Had a good laugh at the people still queueing: "think we should tell them?" :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Oh my god I love each and everyone of them!!

If anyone is looking for something festive to do at the weekends, Farmleigh in the Phoenix Park has some Christmas events on for the next few.

We went there today and while the market is pretty much the same as it usually is with very few crafts, you can get mulled wine and hot chocolate. The house is decorated for Christmas and they have carols in the ballroom. Nice to go to if you live in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Scrooged is on Netflix!!

Joy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Trees are up :)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

My oh is working today so I'm home alone so I'm going to do my wrapping and writing while christmas fm is up nice and loud :D

Lunch today is this:

christingle-box-350.png?e0b56f

Christmas themed food is the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It's a vegetarian pie!

Where did you get that??

Dunnes. It's unsurprisingly very sweet but worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Finally made it to the Stephens Green market. It was more food stalls than others but was nice for a look

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

oh my god. I loved number 9 on that list - for those who emerigrated. I'm just after sending Xmas cards to family who moved abroad and number 9 - would have been a present in itself and joke too. Where would I find that card? Would anybody know? I could buy for next Christmas.

oh my god. I loved number 9 on that list - for those who emerigrated. I'm just after sending Xmas cards to family who moved abroad and number 9 - would have been a present in itself and joke too. Where would I find that card? Would anybody know? I could buy for next Christmas.

I love that one as well, it says it is available from a shop called McElhinneys Department Store in Ballybofey Co. Donegal they have a website so you may be able to buy them online.

I love that one as well, it says it is available from a shop called McElhinneys Department Store in Ballybofey Co. Donegal they have a website so you may be able to buy them online.
    Thank you very much for this. I'm going to Google now.

Thank you very much for this. I'm going to Google now.

No problem at all. I had a quick look at their website and couldn’t see them but their twitter said they where available in store. So maybe if they aren’t online you could give them a call. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Last year's self reminding me how much of genius I am

LCODzCI.jpg?1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Well aren't you smart?! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

/not jealous at all after spending nearly two solid hours on Sunday detangling bloody lights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Christmas RTE guide in the shops, let's see what delights await us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

those battery operated outdoor lights sold in Woodies..are they any good??

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

All my wrapping is done. All my cards are written and I posted them all off this morning :D ho ho ho

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Got my first Christmas card in the door this morning :D

Doubt I'll find the motivation to send any back :o

Last year's self reminding me how much of genius I am

LCODzCI.jpg?1

This is very creative and smart and clever. Well done you and above all else, thank you very much for sharing because come janaury, I'll probably copy this.

I wrap my lights like that too. It saves so much hassle. Rather than spending ages trying to untangle the lights we had three sets on the tree in a couple of minutes.

So I'm nearly done with the gift shopping. I've the kids sorted and the teenager nearly sorted. One more couple to buy for and then my mam cane to me last night - how about father (you see the two are separated and I've haven't given him anything in a few years. The birth of my first niece and his first granddaughter brought us a bit closer and he also did a job on the house for us). So will have to get Dad done this year. I don't mind it but money is a bit limited.

Anybody else living with a Christmas scrooge or a few or bah humbags or whatever it's called? If it was up to my mam and sister Christmas just wouldn't happen. The food, the decoration the present giving - nothing. With Granny's present and present for aunt & uncle & now my dad, these are presents from the family but it's all left on my back. Not even a 5 or 10 chipped in. Stinge of the highest order.

• Advertisement

I hope to do a bit of cleaning to my sitting room bit by bit every evening after work and maybe Friday night after work, or Sunday night, I hope to put up my tree and decorations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement