Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Took the decorations and lights of my tree today. Going to take down the tree itself tomorrow or at the weekend, not sure yet.

As much as I love Christmas, in a way I'm glad its over, although I miss it, I'm really looking forward to spring/summer now. Hopefully the weather this summer is nice :)

Happy New Year everyone! :)

A bare tree with no decorations !! This made me sad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just dawned on me, was willy wonka on this year??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

fryup wrote: »
    just dawned on me, was willy wonka on this year??

Yup, the Gene Wilder version :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Have to say I'm disappointed to read of people who put up their tree in November taking it down when its still Christmas......

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Have to say I'm disappointed to read of people who put up their tree in November taking it down when its still Christmas......

I have to agree, a scary tradition happening now is Christmas seems to be beginning earlier and decorations going up earlier but they seem to be coming down quicker and quicker. Some people think Christmas Day or New Years Days signals the end of Christmas, where the 26th of December is technically the "First" Day of the Christmas Celebration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

I once cringed my way through listening to a speech about how Christmas had become 'sooo commercial', the same person wants the decs down the minute Santa has departed ????

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I am taking down a good few decorations this weekend- because it would be too depressing mid-week! But the tree and mantelpiece garland are staying until January the 6th!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

bladespin wrote: »
    Yup, the Gene Wilder version :D

the original and the best, just wouldn't be christmas without it

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Christmas rte guide went into the recycle bin today 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I use mine to wrap the Christmas lights around so they won't get Knotted up, ours from Christmas 2013 only went in the bin a month ago, so this RTE guide wont see the bin until next December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭CarrieAnne

I refuse to discuss "the Spring", "Summer Holidays", or anything refering to Christmas in a PAST TENSE..... I did not wait SO LONG for it to arrive, to not maximise the time while its here.....

Loving it.... REFUSE to touch anything till Wednesday, and I am dreading taking it all down (even with it being up since November)...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭DenMan

This time 50 weeks I'll be on my Christmas holidays from work! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Haha. I love it.

Man I'm seriously dreading taking down the christmas decorations. The warm glow of the tree and window lights just cannot be replaced. The house will look so bare :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Make the most of it while it's still up!

I'm feeling very festive today. I went to see Elf (the musical, not the film) last night, I heard a Christmas song in a shop earlier and I had a ridiculously chocolatey breakfast. Now I'm in my Christmas jammies watching my Gilmore Girls box set and the episode that has just started seems to be a Christmas episode.

Elf the musical is brilliant isn't it!!!

I'm also in my Jammies relaxing before the madness of work starts off again!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yeah, it was great fun. I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Haven't checked in here in a while! Trying not to think too much about the 'W' tomorrow...!

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and Happy new year!

Tbh I kind of want the decorations to come down now - I think once you go back to work its over - at least in my case this year anyway with going back on the 5th - it's only one day earlier really and I don't really want to see them when I come home from work cos it'd depress me!

I hear you. I had my dreaded first day back to W on Friday so at least the fear is gone but the depression is still there and the thoughts of a five Day week ahead. C'mon.

I've a busy week in work ahead so rather than leaving it until next weekend I took my decorations down today. Heartbreaking wasn't the word but as Leahy said coming home after work and knowing its all over is too depressing.

To everyone heading back to work tomorrow it's going to be ok. By 11am it'll be like we never had our holidays. If anyone needs cheering up please PPP into the forum and we'll be here for you! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Loughc wrote: »
    the thoughts of a five Day week ahead
    Oh God. :(

I was back in for 2 days last week, so not too devastated about going back tomorrow. I'm very much a creature of routine, so I don't mind too much when things get back to normal!

(although if normal was living on a tropical island after my lottery win, that'd be much more preferable)

Yea I'm the same and after all the crap I've eaten I'm looking forward to getting back to a world where eating chocolates for breakfast isn't normal. Haha.

I'm also with you as much as I love routine I'd glady give it up to win the lotto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

First day back at work today. Had a long trip back on the 1st of Jan, 14 hours in a plane. Haven't been able to sleep the last two days.

We celebrated New Years a bit hard when we landed.

Took down the decs yesterday and went for a swim. 2 weeks is such a short time at home when split between the two family's and then man flu attacks (Due to late nights)

The thread gave me great excitement for which I haven't felt in years. I will be bowing out if now till 1st Dec this year.

And the commute begins..... Even after being in Friday I am not prepared for this week. Please come back christmas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Well, back to work and it's like we were never away - once all the "Happy New Year" greetings are out of the way!

I don't think I've ever looked forward to the weekend as much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

yes no matter how I much I tried to stay positive this morning there is this horrible empty sad feeling that christmas is now gone for AGES!! Tree is still up for the moment though...come on December 15!!

leahyl wrote: »
    Well, back to work and it's like we were never away - once all the "Happy New Year" greetings are out of the way!

I don't think I've ever looked forward to the weekend as much!

A massive +1 for the weekend!! I will SAVOUR every second! But yes it's like we were never away now :(
    snowgal wrote: »
    yes no matter how I much I tried to stay positive this morning there is this horrible empty sad feeling that christmas is now gone for AGES!! Tree is still up for the moment though...come on December 15!!

Snowgal, at this stage I'd settle for it being September 15 where the hints of Christmas begin to appear....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Deffo time to unsub from this thread!! :) Thought I was depressed with work, but all the depressing posts are making it worse!!!!! :D

Who's starting this year's Christmas countdown??

Deffo time to unsub from this thread!! :) Thought I was depressed with work, but all the depressing posts are making it worse!!!!! :D

Who's starting this year's Christmas countdown??

Hey it's not all depressing on here! ;)

Traditional we don't start the Countdown until the 12 days of Christmas are over. As tomorrow is the 12th day the Countdown begins, Wednesday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

Hey it's not all depressing on here! ;)

Traditional we don't start the Countdown until the 12 days of Christmas are over. As tomorrow is the 12th day the Countdown begins, Wednesday.

Hooray... I love a good Christmas countdown. How sad is it that I'm actually looking forward to Wednesday purely so we can start counting down to Christmas.

I really need to get a life!

scream wrote: »
    Hooray... I love a good Christmas countdown. How sad is it that I'm actually looking forward to Wednesday purely so we can start counting down to Christmas.

I really need to get a life!

I can assure you, it is not sad at all! One of the first things I did today was print off a 2015 Year planner and marked in the days I need to take off for my Christmas Holidays. It's nice to have something to look forward to.

Christmas spirit lives all year around not just when the shops tell us ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

ward to.

Christmas spirit lives all year around not just when the shops tell us ;)

Well there's an idea for a new sig/banner for promoting the forum..

Christmas Forum :for life, not just for Christmas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement