Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

It's strange but this is the first year I can remember really trying to cling onto Christmas. I'm always a bit sad when it's over, but this year's been worse than ever. Think it may be because I've been posting in the various Christmas threads this year, which I've never really done before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

scream wrote: »
    It's strange but this is the first year I can remember really trying to cling onto Christmas. I'm always a bit sad when it's over, but this year's been worse than ever. Think it may be because I've been posting in the various Christmas threads this year, which I've never really done before.

The Christmas fm chart thread had me lurking here lot more than previous years, really spread my Christmas day play list, which was the main topic of conversation more than once, so thanks for that!

In the off season, I'll be using this forum for sharing tips on saving for xmas15, smyths sales mid year, so it is the forum that keeps on giving the whole year round :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Christmas Forum :for life, not just for Christmas.
    Ha!!
    Yeah, the chat thread keeps going all year around here- it's a nice little community, any time of the year.

Plus, it's nice to be able to pop in and say you just seen a tree still up in February/half price Christmas decorations in April/you've been listening to festive tunes in June/Brown Thomas have opened their doors to the Christmas department in August. Then, before you know it, the kids are back to school, it's getting dark at 5, you're getting your shopping done and turkey ordered and Christmas FM is launching again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭DenMan

Was back in work today and the Christmas tree is still up! I'm in Afterschool and it was great listening to the kids excitedly telling us about Santa and how their Christmas went. :)

I'm moving to Spain or Italy in September to teach and am really looking forward to coming home to Ireland for Christmas. Have a fantastic 2015 everybody! The countdown is well and truly on now! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I don't like how everyone is signing off already, don't leave already who else would myself and Posy have to talk to around here? :O

This is the month we should be keeping Christmas spirit alive the most :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm going nowhere!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm going nowhere!

Yay!!! :D

...and I'm here for the duration.

Well, our tree's down. Was sad to see it go but I feel like I've a clearer view of next Christmas now. It's like I can just make it out dimly in the far distance. I'm lucky in that I'm on a short week this week, albeit 12 hour shifts so it would have been possible for us to leave it up and take it down Thursday but I think the fun goes out of it after new year though. There's something to be said for a good clear out leaving a nice clear run at next year(this year!).

Walking into work this morning and it was the first time this winter that my hands were so cold they were stinging! There was a Baltic breeze in the air!

Walking in listening to my music on my iphone on shuffle and out of 8 songs that played while I was walking in 4 of them were Christmas songs. Instant good mood! :D

Some Christmas songs are so uplifting and some are just beautiful to listen to, I will not be removing them from my iTunes ANYTIME soon! haha!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Happy Little Christmas, guys!

I'm getting Chinese for dinner to celebrate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so today is the day for taking down the deco's

if you leave them up after the 6th its bad luck??

fryup wrote: »
    so today is the day for taking down the deco's

if you leave them up after the 6th its bad luck??

Would you believe over the years I have heard it's bad luck to take them down, before the 6th, on the 6th and after the 6th. It's an old wives tale that seems to have been chinese whispered over the years.

If it wasn't for work I had planned on taking them down tonight. I imagine the 6th is the day to go....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I just took the decorations off the tree. I still have the lights up. I'll take them down later when I have a bit of help. I put on Christmas FM while I was putting the decorations away. It was lovely.

A lot of the people around here put lights outside their houses but most of them seem to have taken them down as soon as the 1st hit. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We took our decorations down yesterday as we were off work and wouldn't get time to take them down today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

All gone now for another 11 months, followed that little Christmas light tip with a tube of unused wrapping paper. Felt a little pang last night when switching off the lights for the final time.

Loughc wrote: »
    Walking into work this morning and it was the first time this winter that my hands were so cold they were stinging! There was a Baltic breeze in the air!

Walking in listening to my music on my iphone on shuffle and out of 8 songs that played while I was walking in 4 of them were Christmas songs. Instant good mood! :D

Some Christmas songs are so uplifting and some are just beautiful to listen to, I will not be removing them from my iTunes ANYTIME soon! haha!

Talking about music, another thing I seem to have rediscovered this year are the Christmas Carols. I was watching Carols From Kings over Christmas and then again a few days later and it was absolutely beautiful. If I'm ever faltering in my Christmas spirit this year then I'll just play some Carols. They're just 'instant Christmas'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

We're die hards and keeping the tree up until tomorrow at least!! Cant part with it yet, we only got it up on the 15th this year, rrreeealy late for us :eek: so as long as it looks ok its staying...also my husband has never seen 'its a Wonderful Life, can you believe!! so tonight for official last christmas night we will be drinking mulled wine, watching that and eating festive food, it aint over yet peeps :D:D

snowgal wrote: »
    We're die hards and keeping the tree up until tomorrow at least!! Cant part with it yet, we only got it up on the 15th this year, rrreeealy late for us :eek: so as long as it looks ok its staying...also my husband has never seen 'its a Wonderful Life, can you believe!! so tonight for official last christmas night we will be drinking mulled wine, watching that and eating festive food, it aint over yet peeps :D:D

My wife recorded that before Christmas and I've still not actually sat and watched it properly. It's one of those films I've seen so many bits of on so many different occasions that I've probably seen most of it, just not all at the same time. I'll add it to my ever expanding 'Christmassy things to do' list.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I'll be taking my tree and decorations down tomorrow. Christmas is my favourite time of year so January is always depressing for me.

In a lot of ways, I both love and hate when December comes around. Love it because Christmas is here and hate it because it'll be over as soon as it's begun.

• Advertisement

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    I'll be taking my tree and decorations down tomorrow. Christmas is my favourite time of year so January is always depressing for me.

In a lot of ways, I both love and hate when December comes around. Love it because Christmas is here and hate it because it'll be over as soon as it's begun.

I know exactly what you mean, but I think I'm lucky in a way though because I love Halloween at least as much as Christmas so I kinda feel like I've two Christmas's to look forward to each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

So that’s it for Christmas 2014 :(. All that remains now are packed boxes of decorations waiting to be put back into the attic for the next 11 months or so. Have to say as much as I love love love Christmas and look forward and plan for it for most of the year, there is always a slight sense of relief on the 6th to get it all packed away (it just takes so long!!) and get the house back to normal.

We never take the decorations down before the 6th, whether its tradition or superstition I don’t know but that’s the way it has always been so that’s the way it stays. I really have noticed a huge increase of people taking their decorations down earlier and earlier. By New Years day a lot of people seem to have the mentality, it is the NewYear & they got to go. One person even told me she took hers down Stephens Day which I just can not comprehend at all :eek:. Each to their own I suppose.

Anyway Happy New Year to everyone, and even though now Christmas is over and I am definitely looking forward to the Spring/Summer I’m sure it wont be long before thoughts of Christmas 2015 will slip in. :D

Christmas 2015 is firmly on my mind already haha :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

You know the saying, once you post in the countdown thread, Christmas has started :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭DenMan

Last night our decorations went back up to the attic and this morning I cut and broke up what was left of the turkey and gave it to the cat. She was very pleased! :)

The countdown to Christmas 2015 is well and truly on! :D

Only 50 weeks to go!! ;)

It's mad where I live most of the neighbours kept their decorations including the outdoor lights going right up to the 6th and yesterday every housefront in darkness... no one was risking the bad luck. Now my trip to the bins will no longer be festive! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

8408 hours left according to my Christmas countdown i have installed on my phone since the 1st of January! ! !

For anyone looking to continue the festive spirit this weekend Elf the musical tickets for Friday night can be snapped up at €20.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057357218/1/#post93739876

Fantastic value. It's a great musical I seen it back on the 19th of December. Would definitely recommend it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Discounted Christmas chocolate :)

• Advertisement

Scarinae wrote: »
    Discounted Christmas chocolate :)

Where....?

What's better than Chocolate? Discounted chocolate :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement