Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Is it just me or does anyone else think winter comes earlier and earlier each year! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Hi all!
    Was posting before christmas and am sorry to say have been so busy i haven't had a chance to get back in touch! Been reading up on the updates though! Love the film club idea :) weather is so wonderfully wintery last few days. I have registered for rathwood tickets and started my christmas shopping so feeling really festive already ! :)

Film ideas!
    Santa claus 1-3, elf, the grinch, polar express, Fred claus, the 12 dogs of christmas :) frozen, scrooged, home alone , jingle all the way, oh and muppets christmas carol ! All I can think of off hand ... as you can see big disney fans here and I can't even blame the kids for that :)) ! We aim to watch one every evening here from the 1st December onwards ! Milli milli great idea to start planning early! I'm a bit of an organised nut just after re writing my christmas journal as OH let our toddler "play " ahem *tear to shreds * :) my last one ! It's such a busy time it's easy to get sidetracked with so much going on !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Film ideas!
    Santa claus 1-3, elf, the grinch, polar express, Fred claus, the 12 dogs of christmas :) frozen, scrooged, home alone , jingle all the way, oh and muppets christmas carol ! All I can think of off hand ... as you can see big disney fans here and I can't even blame the kids for that :)) ! We aim to watch one every evening here from the 1st December onwards ! Milli milli great idea to start planning early! I'm a bit of an organised nut just after re writing my christmas journal as OH let our toddler "play " ahem *tear to shreds * :) my last one ! It's such a busy time it's easy to get sidetracked with so much going on !

That's for the reminder Glitzgirl, an official Christmas Movie Club thread is now live! :)

Loughc wrote: »
    That's for the reminder Glitzgirl, an official Christmas Movie Club thread is now live! :)

Found it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

I spent the weekend in Dubai, we usually head there before Christmas to get my shopping done. The minute I walk into Mall of the Emirates I'm humming Christmas music. My Mrs thinks Im nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Heard a Christmas ad on RTE radio 1 there a while ago.....must have been a mistake.... :)

washiskin wrote: »
    Heard a Christmas ad on RTE radio 1 there a while ago.....must have been a mistake.... :)

You never know! Home alone 2 was on telly yesterday evening and I seen a reminder to pre register for rathwood tickets in sept! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    You never know! Home alone 2 was on telly yesterday evening and I seen a reminder to pre register for rathwood tickets in sept! :)

Register here and they'll remind you..

https://santatrain.ie

Register here and they'll remind you..

https://santatrain.ie

Registered yesterday then got side tracked for ages watching you tube vids of rathwood train ! Can't wait now !

Thanks for the link though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We are going to do the Amber Springs train this Christmas, does anyone know when the tickets usually go on sale?

kitten_k wrote: »
    We are going to do the Amber Springs train this Christmas, does anyone know when the tickets usually go on sale?

Usually around September-October time.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I know its May, and even my family are shocked to hear, but I've set my present and card list, and have already started buying bits for presents.
    They probably wont be finished until October/November since some things are food items.... I'm doing beauty/spa/home hampers (women) & food hampers (men & kids) this year since last years idea (small gifts in personalized mugs) went down the drain last minute... the ink on the mugs rubbed straight off after "baking" them for 2 hours and tried to redo them, but failed. Had great fun running around town at 5pm every evening in December after college battling the crazy crowds trying to get things together for people!

SMJSF wrote: »
    I know its May, and even my family are shocked to hear, but I've set my present and card list, and have already started buying bits for presents.
    They probably wont be finished until October/November since some things are food items.... I'm doing beauty/spa/home hampers (women) & food hampers (men & kids) this year since last years idea (small gifts in personalized mugs) went down the drain last minute... the ink on the mugs rubbed straight off after "baking" them for 2 hours and tried to redo them, but failed. Had great fun running around town at 5pm every evening in December after college battling the crazy crowds trying to get things together for people!

I like your thinking ... let's be friends :) lol ! Not shocking at all. I have always started earlier and ppl used to think I was nuts but I see a lot of them starting to come around to my way of thinking now too! It helps spread the costs, I've no debts and actually money to spend in January sales and I can enjoy christmas with my family and make memories (that don't involve stressful last minute panic buying !). Love the hamper idea it's always a great gift to give! Oh no ! Sorry to hear about the mugs :( wanted to try the mug one myself this year ... :(
    P.s you've come to the right place ... we're all a little christmas crazy here ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Just discovered a great Christmas radio station from the states. 181 FM Christmas smooth jazz. It's on tunein and it's seriously mellow and relaxing.

I will give this a go this weekend. I am moving house so the Christmas stuff is getting put into storage.

I threw on the TV whilst my OH was upstairs, I was waiting to go to the shops, Elf was on!!! I then heard a shout saying "turn it off!!! you were pushing it with your movies in November last year"

I think November isn't too early.

November isn't too early at all! November really is the kick off of the Christmas season these days.

My OH is Christmassy just not as much as I am. I know I will spend ages packing up the Christmas stuff saying "remember when we got this tree dec??" I think I may be resigned to another duty.

Moving to Dubai in a few months, its going to be way more christmasy there than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

November isn't too early at all! November really is the kick off of the Christmas season these days.

November is fine, for me once Halloween is out of the way then it's full steam ahead to Christmas.

November is fine, for me once Halloween is out of the way then it's full steam ahead to Christmas.

Yea absolutely, it's all systems go from the 1st of November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

^^^ Sorry guys, but i start counting down to Christmas around the middle of September! I can't wait for Halloween to be just out of the way so everyone else starts counting down with me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My pre countdown starts in September alright...! It's like everyone is back from their summer holidays so around mid September....but it's not the proper countdown, that's after Halloween!

leahyl wrote: »
    My pre countdown starts in September alright...! It's like everyone is back from their summer holidays so around mid September....but it's not the proper countdown, that's after Halloween!

Yea I have to agree, there's certain markers in August and September that signal Christmas is coming, the start of XFactor, kids back in school, the evenings getting shorter, weather getting colder but nothing gets going for me until November 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mark26ireland

I started my Christmas shopping on Tuesday for the kids. Was great!!

I agree. (Athough My christmas ticker counts down the days from 1st Jan every year). My son who has some learning difficulties and is not good with the concept of time judges the distance by September (start of school). Then just a few days til Halloween (1st October Halloween deco goes up as he is a Hugh Halloween fan!) First Nov is officially kick off of christmas season in this house !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

the start of XFactor, kids back in school, the evenings getting shorter, weather getting colder
    The Rose of Tralee!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

11225744_1594260387479999_5806908819977187018_n.jpg?oh=cf4f0706f6c6fd7efbdc1182a5266a20&oe=55CD8DE8&__gda__=1439807277_56f15080bec7cad980bdb3b954769dcd

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I was talking to a friend today about Christmas and I got all excited thinking about it. It's nearly June! June is usually when I start craving Christmas dinner.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

June is usually when I start craving Christmas dinner.

One of my former colleagues used to have a mini Christmas on the 25th June each year, she and her boyfriend would have a full Christmas dinner and swap a few token presents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

That's a great idea. I might do the dinner part on the 25th this year.

I definitely have that Christmas feeling this week. I haven't been sleeping properly because I have the Eurovision and the referendum and seeing family to look forward to this week. It's the same feeling of excitement I get the week before Christmas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement