Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That's a great idea. I might do the dinner part on the 25th this year.

I definitely have that Christmas feeling this week. I haven't been sleeping properly because I have the Eurovision and the referendum and seeing family to look forward to this week. It's the same feeling of excitement I get the week before Christmas.

I'm the same! It's my birthday this weekend too so will be going out celebrating that on Saturday night and hopefully will be celebrating the referendum being passed as well! And the Eurovision as well! Lots going on like Christmas time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

7 months from today we'll all be bouncing off the walls with excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭DenMan

This day next month and we're half way there already! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Reminded me of my favourite thread on boards, Christmas Eve traditions.

Although they also make me feel bad for not having many, but life gets in the way with unexpected guests or a child deciding that frozen needs to be watched for the 8th time that day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jude13 wrote: »
    Reminded me of my favourite thread on boards, Christmas Eve traditions.

Also my favourite thread! Great memories on that thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Aaaaw I love that thread too! :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mountain Rescue

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Since Kraft took over the quantity and quality has declined. They're just milking the brand for all its worth with no consideration for the customers. I won't be buying roses this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

I stopped buying either of them a few years back. We get a nice selection of different packets of sweets plus a huge box of Thornton's. Quality street seems to ditch the good sweets only to replace them with plain old chocolate or yet more toffee.

• Advertisement

I haven't bought Roses in years. Not a Cadburys fan these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I was only reading through the christmas eve traditions thread the other day. Of course I got carried away then and started googling elf on the shelf ideas and it just spiraled from there! :) I think a lot of people were dissapointed with the tins if roses last year as my local supermarket is still trying to sell the last few remaining tubs! We bought a lot of celebrations and hero tubs this year I noticed though !

I'm a quality street man all the way, my OH misses the strawberry ones though. The only way for them to change I guess is not to buy them.

I know how inflation works but the shrinking of the amount you get whilst paying the same price well...its just not in the spirit of Christmas.

As a note, I think Haribo should do a christmas tin ala QS or Roses.

For the kids like. I'll only have one or two.

I'm a quality street man all the way, my OH misses the strawberry ones though. The only way for them to change I guess is not to buy them.

I know how inflation works but the shrinking of the amount you get whilst paying the same price well...its just not in the spirit of Christmas.

I am refusing to buy Roses this year, tradition or no tradition.
    As a note, I think Haribo should do a christmas tin ala QS or Roses.

For the kids like. I'll only have one or two.

Haribo do giant tubs/tins of sweets every Christmas, they are very expensive but delish!

But are they in any way Christmasy? I want to be chewing the antlers of reindeer!!!

I can only eat so much chocolate, very little actually and then I get mouth ulcers so I stick to haribo.

I am in the process of moving house to another country, a nightmare. Had the moving firm in and they were asking what was being put into storage for the move and what was being binned.

They were surprised that I only had two suitcases of clothes after 5 years but two large metal cabinets of and one bench cabinet labeled "Christmas Stuff".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

I didn't buy Roses last year because of the cynical way a heritage brand is being devalued (sorry, a bit ranty I know).
    Instead I stuck with Quality Street (we used to buy 1 of each) and bought the 1.275g tin, which I gladly paid €10 for.
    Since the sale of Cadburys the overall quality of their sweets has diminished significantly. A box of Milk Tray was opened at a dinner last night & I thought they weren't a patch on the past selection - even the box looked cheap.
    Gone also are the days of being able to buy bags of both Roses & Milk Tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Driving home from town yesterday and i drove by an apartment that had Christmas snow stencils on their balcony window, the excitement i felt!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

amor3 wrote: »
    Driving home from town yesterday and i drove by an apartment that had Christmas snow stencils on their balcony window, the excitement i felt!!!!

A house I drive past still has there christmas lights up outside ...not lit but still up! I love christmas and I always hate taking down outside lights but even I don't think I'd b able to leave them up all year round!

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is on Sky1!

• Advertisement

David O'Doherty getting into the Christmas spirit

https://twitter.com/phlaimeaux/status/603533320866136064

David O'Doherty getting into the Christmas spirit

https://twitter.com/phlaimeaux/status/603533320866136064

Haha, great tweet.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

[Sad story alert]

A four year old boy from Tipperary only has weeks to live, so his parents are bringing Christmas forward to this Saturday and are looking for help to make it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Scarinae wrote: »
    [Sad story alert]

A four year old boy from Tipperary only has weeks to live, so his parents are bringing Christmas forward to this Saturday and are looking for help to make it happen

That is just heartbreaking, so sad!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I heard about that yesterday. Devastating. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I have a confession to make. I keep a bike in the bedroom(afraid it'd be stolen from the shed) and at christmas I put a few sets of crimbo lights on the it as a way of making a Chritmas bike/Tree. I really liked coming home in the evening and turning on the lights on the bike/tree, so much so that I didnt have the heart to take them down......its almost June and its still up. And I may go the full year yet.

Scarinae wrote: »
    [Sad story alert]

Its terribly sad and happens quite a bit. My daughter was born at 26 weeks so we were in Holles Street for weeks and then transferred to Peter's ward in Crumlin.

I was holding it together for some weeks but so worried, went to the parents room to make a cuppa and there were a couple in there setting up Christmas tree etc, this was June 16th, I asked what they were doing. Their baby would never see Christmas. I apologized and went to the toilet in bits. Seriously puts things in perspective.

I was flicking through the music channels earlier and Never Had a Dream Come True by S Club 7 was on. That was on MTV Xmas a lot last Christmas so I definitely associate it with Christmas now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭DenMan

In from work and checked my facebook page a few mins ago. I had 24 notifications! That number sure reminded me of Christmas. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

It was a big birthday for my hubby a few weeks ago, I had bought tin of qualtiy street and selection box for it! He was sooo happy, selection box not at Christmas time, the novelty!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement