Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Aw Leahyl, I'm so sorry. I know it's a terrible blow now, but in the coming weeks you'll start remembering the funny things about him and have lovely memories to cheer you up when you think of him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh no. :(

I'm so sorry for your loss, Leahyl. You and your family must be heartbroken. :(
    Post here as little or as much as you want, nobody would blame you for feeling that the spark has gone out of Christmas. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

So sorry for your trouble. Losing a pet is devastating. I have photos of my dear departed dogs that I put on my parents' Christmas tree every year and it brings us great memories of our furry family.

Hope you are OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thank you all so much for your kind words. I'm sitting here in tears now, so hard in the evening at home when he's not there, there's a very noticeable absence of a presence and it's so upsetting. I'm ok for a few hours and then it hits me again.

I will keep coming to this forum to read about Christmas and be cheered up

Thanks again :-)

Can it be Christmas now please and not just in my heart? :)

I can almost taste the insanely good food and happiness!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

mud wrote: »
    Can it be Christmas now please and not just in my heart? :)

I can almost taste the insanely good food and happiness!

So can I, I can't wait for December. The build is just as good as the day itself,:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Out shopping today and popped into my local harry corry. Having a sale so I got some fab red and white towels. The face on my OH when I told him they were for christmas ... Thank god he loves me & knows what im like ! :D was thinking about it later on and I actually don't own many "traditionally christmas " coloured items (red green etc) does anyone else color Co ordinate their decorations with their rooms or am I just completely odd ... ;)

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Out shopping today and popped into my local harry corry. Having a sale so I got some fab red and white towels. The face on my OH when I told him they were for christmas ... Thank god he loves me & knows what im like ! :D was thinking about it later on and I actually don't own many "traditionally christmas " coloured items (red green etc) does anyone else color Co ordinate their decorations with their rooms or am I just completely odd ... ;)

The only thing I kind of do is theme a tree, nostalgic (for my vintage lights), international (for the decs I get as presssies from out foreign), glitter etc. I do make a fuss of the bathroom though, home of my all-year-round tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,521 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We're in July now.
    Only 4 months more full months until December.
    Argos Autumn/Winter catalogue.
    August Bank holiday.
    Brown Thomas Christmas Shop opens.
    Rose of Tralee on TV.
    Tins of Roses/Quality Street/some selection boxes appear in super markets.
    Back to school.
    X factor returns.
    All Ireland finals on TV.
    Ploughing championships take place.
    Smyth catologue comes out.
    October begins. People generally begin talking about Christmas.
    Boots catalogue.
    Gift sets/presents begin appearing in shops.
    X factor live shows begin.
    Clocks go back.
    Halloween.
    First of November.
    Christmas ads begin.
    Shopping centers are generally decorated.
    Ice skating begins at centers.
    John Lewis Christmas ad.
    Christmas lights turned on in cities.
    Santa's grottos being to open.
    People start putting up there decorations.
    Advent begins.
    1st of December. You can start your advent calendar.
    More items from party food, to cheese boards, brandy butter, etc start coming out in supermarkets.
    We generally get our ham about now.
    Every day that goes by the shops get busier.
    TV programmes start about how to have the perfect dinner/decorated house .
    8th of December. Often associated as a Christmas shopping day for people from the country to go to cities shopping.
    Christmas parties are in full swing.
    Schools close for holidays.
    People buy the turkey.
    Business close for holidays.
    Grocery shopping for the big day.
    Christmas eve.
    Most people get up early.
    More shopping to be done.
    Tidy the house.
    Presents exchanged.
    We boil our ham.
    Prepare some of the food for the next day.
    Go to mass.
    Get ready for the jolly red man.
    Go to bed.
    It's Christmas!

We're in July now.
    Only 4 months more full months until December.

Go to bed.
    It's Christmas!

Yes to all of it. All of it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Love it, freshpopcorn! :D

washiskin wrote: »
    The only thing I kind of do is theme a tree, nostalgic (for my vintage lights), international (for the decs I get as presssies from out foreign), glitter etc. I do make a fuss of the bathroom though, home of my all-year-round tree.

Sounds fab ! Especially the glitter! Do you keep a tree in the bathroom all year ? That's adorable I love it ! The only room I don't keep a reign on is my son's room. It looks like christmas just vomited in his room! Paper craft chains and tinsel and every odd color of a mismatched decoration you can think of. Even has those ceiling decorations (personally I hate them !) He loves it though and I get to keep my tree downstairs looking more adult friendly as he doesn't like decorating the "boring tree " :D

I have a little 3 ft tree with battery lights decorated with charity toys (as in little teddies sold by charities) and a small Santa. When I'm feeling down I go in and switch it on until I feel better. Works a treat! :D

the "boring tree" :pac: I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Freshpopcorn , i have to print that as my Christmas countdown calendar 🎅

On my phone, but that strange symbol is actually santa!

washiskin wrote: »
    I have a little 3 ft tree with battery lights decorated with charity toys (as in little teddies sold by charities) and a small Santa. When I'm feeling down I go in and switch it on until I feel better. Works a treat? :D

the "boring tree" :pac: I love it!

Omg! Best bathroom idea ever! I love it, it would just make me smile everytime I walked in and seen it!

Oh yea unless it looks like an explosion at an elf's work station in the north pole it's just not Christmassy enough for my 7 year old lol!

Little pre Christmas heads up, Heatons in Navan yesterday had a wooden tealight set with the shape of a reindeer in it on their Clearance shelf, no price on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Just got an email from our Sports and Social club in work with a Save The Date for our Xmas party.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »
    Just got an email from our Sports and Social club in work with a Save The Date for our Xmas party.

Me too :P How odd :P

Really early for it, I'm beginning to suspect the Sports and Social person is also a Christmas nut :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Maybe the weather is confusing them and they think it's actually October.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Maybe the weather is confusing them and they think it's actually October.

Hahaha, you would not be far wrong thinking it was October this morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Loughc wrote: »
    Me too :P How odd :P

Really early for it, I'm beginning to suspect the Sports and Social person is also a Christmas nut :pac:

Very strange you got it to Loughc :P

Yea I wonder who on the Committee is the Christmas nut.

I haven't actually gone to the main one in a few years but still go to my department one.

kitten_k wrote: »
    I haven't actually gone to the main one in a few years but still go to my department one.

Same here, the main one is very daunting to go to, lots of people and different departments you don't know and the random seating allocation is very off putting also. The departmental ones are better craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

You guys, I'm listening to Christmas songs on the bus and no-ones knows.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

For some odds reason I ended up watching https://youtu.be/-gMjPezr8TY

Last night lol

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I just saw a girl wearing a reindeer jumper! What a legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

My mum has had Christmas movies/specials on since the weekend. So far I have watched or listened to The Grinch, Home alone, The Polar Express and The Royle Family Christmas specials.

I love The Royle Family Christmas Specials, they are so good! Very funny and touching in parts!

Loughc wrote: »
    I love The Royle Family Christmas Specials, they are so good! Very funny and touching in parts!

The Queen of Sheba episode from The Royle Family makes me wail like a wailing wailer. It's so sad but even more uplifting. I know it's not a Christmas special per se but to me it's totally the spirit of Christmas. Counting blessings, acknowledging loved ones, reminiscing and laughter and the pain of inevitable separation made easier by being surrounded by friends and family.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,521 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I can't believe that August is next month and the Christmas sweets and decorations will start coming out in the shops.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement