Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open the selection box- Christmas Forum Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

A/W argos catalogue is out this Saturday ! Just saw the add on tv! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    A/W argos catalogue is out this Saturday ! Just saw the add on tv! :D

A/W is autumn winter right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

A/W is autumn winter right ?

It is indeed ! They norm have a page dedicated to their Christmas catalogue too which will come out later in year! Can't remember when it came out last year ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

Love Actually on ITV 2 :) this movie makes me feel so christmassy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

applesock wrote: »
    Love Actually on ITV 2 :) this movie makes me feel so christmassy

Yeah, one of my favourites also. There is a lot of Christmas TV starting to creep in. I have watched the Christmas specials for Only Fools and Horses and Gavin + Stacy already this week.:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

kitten_k wrote: »

I'm afraid I stopped buying my usual Quality Street at Christmas a couple of years ago and started buying numerous individual bags of sweets along with a large box of Thorntons choccies. I feel like the makers of Quality Street are just ripping me off a little bit more every year. Shame, it was a Christmas tradition throughout my entire childhood.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »

I came on to post the same thing. Holding back the rage, Cadburys have ruined roses since they were sold to Kraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,522 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I personally think that the quality of Roses and Quality Street had gone down since the mid 2000's due to the supermarkets price wars.
    I remember up until about the year 2000 you could get a large rectangle cardboard box of Qulaity Street for about €20. Same with roses the tins were generally large and you paid a higher price.
    Since the 2000's shops want to sell the tins for about €5. So the amount in them drops along with the quality.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I personally think that the quality of Roses and Quality Street had gone down since the mid 2000's due to the supermarkets price wars.
    I remember up until about the year 2000 you could get a large rectangle cardboard box of Qulaity Street for about €20. Same with roses the tins were generally large and you paid a higher price.
    Since the 2000's shops want to sell the tins for about €5. So the amount in them drops along with the quality.

It wouldn't have anything to do with Supermarkets. It's all down to the companies making the sweets, opting for cheaper tasting chocolate, selecting the cheaper type of sweets to make, decreasing the size of the tin each year.

What the supermarket choose to sell it for is of no concern to the manufactuers, they will make their margin regardsless when they sell to the supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I carry my baby in baby carriers most of the time, rather than use a buggy. There is a raffle on Facebook for a charity and one of the prizes is a reindeer carrier. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Loughc wrote: »
    I came on to post the same thing. Holding back the rage, Cadburys have ruined roses since they were sold to Kraft.
    Yes, Roses have gone waaaay downhill. I'm not a fan of them at all any more.

I still like tins of Quality Street though. I thought it was good last year that you could buy an actual 'tin' of them, not just the plastic tub.

Posy wrote: »
    Yes, Roses have gone waaaay downhill. I'm not a fan of them at all any more.

I still like tins of Quality Street though. I thought it was good last year that you could buy an actual 'tin' of them, not just the plastic tub.

You could ???

Yup! :)

They were like this

SdKZ8af.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

Anyone else who may have gotten the Autumn/Winter Argos catalogue will also have noticed how much it's shrunk in size.

Everything is getting smaller, except the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

gidget wrote:
    Anyone else who may have gotten the Autumn/Winter Argos catalogue will also have noticed how much it's shrunk in size.

They've advertised the new mag on there website, but half the stuff doesn't even have prices entered or images!
    I haven't had a paper agros mag in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Posy wrote: »
    Yup! :)

They were like this

SdKZ8af.jpg?1

And I gladly parted with 10/12 euro for them. I'll pay good money if I think I'm getting a decent tin of sweets. ;)

Me too. I'd prefer to pay a tenner or more for a good decent tin of sweets rather than getting (kraft) crap!
    gidget wrote: »
    Oh dear god no! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

Yeah, one of my favourites also. There is a lot of Christmas TV starting to creep in. I have watched the Christmas specials for Only Fools and Horses and Gavin + Stacy already this week.:)

Snap! I watched the Gavin and Stacey this week (albeit on Netflix, not normal TV!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I absolutely love that Christmas is on a Friday this year. That whole week is going to be absolutely fantastic! :)

I know it doesn't really matter but I just can't wait for that final Monday when I'm just raring to go and I just know that the next two weeks are going to be blissful.

If anyone is interested in taking part in Know Your Elves 2015 please add your name to the sticky thread above :)

We are fast approaching 20 weeks to Christmas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Is there anyone else here who won't listen to Christmas music or watch a Christmas film until December? I'm not a big Scrooge, I just love the excitement of waiting until the beginning of December to truly throw myself into the spirit. The build up to the first few songs and first Christmas movie is half the excitement for me.

I'm so excited this year!!!! So so excited!.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I was walking around Dublin the other day and a Christmas song came on my music and at the exact same time a guy passed me wearing a Christmas tee shirt!!!! Love it!

Whispered wrote: »
    Is there anyone else here who won't listen to Christmas music or watch a Christmas film until December? I'm not a big Scrooge, I just love the excitement of waiting until the beginning of December to truly throw myself into the spirit. The build up to the first few songs and first Christmas movie is half the excitement for me.
    Oh god no. :pac::pac:

If I didn't start my Christmas shopping until December and refused to listen to the first few days of Christmas FM I'd be devastated! The Brown Thomas Christmas shop opens in August,so I certainly couldn't wait until December to go and browse there. The build up is most of the excitement for me too- it just starts nice and early. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I've been wearing my Christmas jumper(s) all week!

Not in public but in the privacy of my own home where I can admire the fleecy reindeery santa-y decorationy goodness!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Been pinning a lot of Christmas pics on pinterest in the last few days - I'd say my followers are wondering what the hell is wrong with me!

leahyl wrote: »
    Been pinning a lot of Christmas pics on pinterest in the last few days - I'd say my followers are wondering what the hell is wrong with me!

Haha you're in good company my Pinterest is full of Christmas pics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

Ah you can't beat a good christmas movie in November. Last year was great when they had turned Movie 24 into Christmas 24 in November.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement