Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have to go for Vodafone Broadband(opinions)

• 02-02-2013 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I am moving into a flat during the weekdays as its just a lot handier for work and such, i have to go for vodafone broadband as it seems to be the best deal around, 24.99 pm for 25mb .

I really just want it for gaming with the lads after work and i was wondering what are peoples opinions on vodafone home broadband for gaming , lag issues speed etc.

I have UPC at home and i really never have any issues but i have heard a few horror stories with eircom wimax etc and was wondering is vodafone the same.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

So nobody has any experience with vodafone then, tells me all i need to know really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Vodafone use a DSL setup provided by BT - it's LLU since your up to 24MB (separate from Eircom). Your actual speed is "up to 24MB" depending on how close you are to the local exchange. Since you're an a avid gamer, then latency should be your preferred option so if you are 1 mile from the exchange - ask Vodafone to drop your speed to the best profile for stability (more stable, less errors, less lag). 1 mile should be plenty for 18MB-20MB. The BT network is excellent.

One more thing - don't use the Vodafone router they send. Spend 30-40 on a D-Link or Cisco router with more configuration, better Wi-Fi and more stable firmware.

PS: The horror stories with WiMAX are because it's wireless to the base and to the home - asking for issues. Eircom is just because of their prices / poxy rules about line issues / setups and moving to different providers. Every ISP has their fault but for yourself, Vodafone is fine and dandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

advertsfox wrote: »
    Vodafone use a DSL setup provided by BT - it's LLU since your up to 24MB (separate from Eircom). Your actual speed is "up to 24MB" depending on how close you are to the local exchange. Since you're an a avid gamer, then latency should be your preferred option so if you are 1 mile from the exchange - ask Vodafone to drop your speed to the best profile for stability (more stable, less errors, less lag). 1 mile should be plenty for 18MB-20MB. The BT network is excellent.

One more thing - don't use the Vodafone router they send. Spend 30-40 on a D-Link or Cisco router with more configuration, better Wi-Fi and more stable firmware.

PS: The horror stories with WiMAX are because it's wireless to the base and to the home - asking for issues. Eircom is just because of their prices / poxy rules about line issues / setups and moving to different providers. Every ISP has their fault but for yourself, Vodafone is fine and dandy.

Great stuff , i have a cisco router here too which i could use, thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

almanu wrote: »
    Great stuff , i have a cisco router here too which i could use, thanks for the reply.
    No problem at all :)

Advertisement