Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheese board

Options
  • 02-02-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi, I am having a girls night in next week and we I am hosting.. I plan do have a cheese and meats selection with grapes, nuts etc
    What are the best cheeses to have on a board for 5 people.. manchego will definatly be one... Is it cheaper to buy cheese from cheese counters such as the one in fallon and byrne, i find S.Q*inn very expensive for their cheese ... Olives also are fairly pricey there too.. Where is good, in the city centre to buy a selection of meats and decently prices olives..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Pig's Back in The English market for all your cheese and meats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I'm guessing with the F&B reference you're Dublin based.... try Sheridans on St Anne Street. Not cheap but you'll get what you pay for. Superquinn are just alright but I wouldn't have thought them expensive so brace yourself!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Chickus, you'll need to provide your location more specifically than "the city" to get suitable responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

Sorry,completely forgot to say that I am in Dublin..
    My nearest Superq*inn is at Hueston and their selection is not great at all, the other shops are probably better... I will try Sheridans and F&B...Where is god to get some nice salami, parma ham etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You could do a lot worse than to try some of the Polish shops for cured meats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Make an effort to buy Irish cheese. You won't be disappointed. Irish cheese at this stage really is world class and there is no need to buy imported cheese. Good range of styles too if you go somewhere like Sheridan's.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I can't say if they're the same quality as Sheridans etc. but Aldi do a very reasonably priced range of cheeses and meats. Quite a few are award winning if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

The Pig's Back in The English market for all your cheese and meats.

Ha! Your internet sarcasm has backfired here tho ;-)

As a dub resident I had to google this reference and a quick search revealed a tasty looking place. I will now be driving down to cork to check out this english market

(we were planning a weekend trip away, this just tipped the decision to cork)

Thanks for the tip ;-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

M&S on Grafton St have some packs of nice prosciutto, parma, etc ham, salami and so on. Haven't tried them but they look good and were decent prices (€3-€5 for decent sized packs).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

Ha! Your internet sarcasm has backfired here tho ;-)

As a dub resident I had to google this reference and a quick search revealed a tasty looking place. I will now be driving down to cork to check out this english market

(we were planning a weekend trip away, this just tipped the decision to cork)

Thanks for the tip ;-)

I don't see what's backfired:confused:. People supporting one of my favourite places to shop is no bad thing!
    Melendez wrote: »

Well, you clearly aren't ignorant of Irish cheese like some people who downgrade it against imported cheese.
    When in England, I like to buy English cheese, when in France I like to buy French cheese etc. etc. With what's available here I see no reason to do otherwise.
    Regarding blue chees, try Bellingham Blue.
    I think Hegarty's is as good a cheddar as I've had but try Mount Callan and Glebe Brethan too.
    For a parmasen like cheese Gabriel or Desmond are fantastic.
    Mossfield and Coolea mature are amazing salty fudge cheeses - I've never had anything quite like them anywhere else.
    Knockdrina Snow is a beautiful soft cheese and St Tola make great hard and soft goats cheeses.

I'm sure you can find imported cheeses to rival many of these but when local cheese is this good why would you bother? - we even make very good buffalo mozzeralla now.

BTW I do sometimes buy imported cheeses for a change ( I love a good mature comte or a creamy brique du brebis) but the vast majority of what I buy is Irish and will remain to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree, I like to buy locally made cheeses too, the only exception to this, for me anyway, is Roquefort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I don't see what's backfired:confused:. People supporting one of my favourite places to shop is no bad thing!

It didnt really, i was being facetious.
    Ill be going there to check it out shortly, it looks awesome

It didnt really, i was being facetious.
    Ill be going there to check it out shortly, it looks awesome

It's a great shop.
    Loads of Irish and French cheeses and charcuterie.
    You'll enjoy The English Market.

Advertisement