Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few Questions about return of deposit etc

Options
  • 02-02-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Would appreciate any help with this !

Ok deep breath... right i cant go into too much detail here as it would make me very identifiable.

But i have two questions -is a landlord legally required to register both themselves and us with the PRTB?

And also our landlord has a reputation for withholding some or all of the deposit from previous tenants -usually claiming the house needs to be painted etc

When we moved in we were informed that the house had been freshly painted -on closer inspection it wasnt ! Now we are packing and preparing to move out im going over the house from top to bottom to make sure he can say nothing -But the walls are suffering from a little wear and tear -u know the way walls get when they arent painted in a while?They arent dirty or anything like that but they could do with a freshen up

We have been here a year and the house has been sold so it will not be rented out again so im assuming repainting wouldnt even be an issue with the landlord as he has sold it ?

We paid for two new carpets in the kids bedrooms when we moved in as the carpets were filthy and he refused to replace them. I have a carpet cleaning man coming next week to freshen up the 3 carpets in the house

Also what other things can a landlord deduct monies for ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Landlord must register the tenancy with the PRTB; that is a legal requirement.

Landlord cannot deduct for cleaning/rennovations unless the damage is beyond what would be considered to be normal wear and tear. He cannot deduct for giving the place a lick of paint unless you have caused damage to the paintwork.

Same goes for the carpets; if you have put in carpets at your own expense then he has a right cheek to turn around and expect you to have them cleaned before you go. Unless they require cleaning for damage beyond normal wear and tear tell him to get stuffed and be thankful that he isnt getting a bill for the new carpets that you paid for.

Generally speaking the deposit can only be used to repair damage beyond normal wear and tear, to cover any shortfall in rent, or any unpaid bills that you have that leaves the landlord out of pocket. Any deductions from the deposit must be backed up with receipts/invoices for all work carried out and/or materials (ie if the landlord paints the place themselves from paint that they already had then they have no legal right to charge you for it; their own time cannot be deducted from the deposit.

Document every inch of the house, with photographs, before you leave, and if you are unhappy with any propsed deductions from the deposit raise a case with the PRTB and let them sort it out. It will take a while to have your case heard, but if the landlord is chancing their arm they might decide that its not worth the hassle to have a PRTB ruling against them and the possible extra expense it will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭TextureLikeSun

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer i really appreciate it :)

Just one more q if you dont mind me asking-im meeting the landlord on the day we are to move out for the final inspection -can i expect my deposit back on the day if everything is ok?Or will I have to hand back the key and then wait for them to post it out or lodge it in my bank account

Im just wary because of the landlords previous history

Advertisement