Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog food on a budget

• 02-02-2013 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Have a few favourites in mind but what would you folks recommend for a budget friendly dog food?

I can spend about 30-35 on a bag. Wouldnt go any higher than that as they get mince/meat and veg mixed in most days anyway. I have been cheaping out on the food so far though so time for an upgrade.

Its for a GSD and a terrier mix, I dont mind if they need separate foods but obviously one size fits all would be handier.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Check out Skinners dog foods. They have a decent range of foods. I get the salmon & rice field and trial. Its vat free in the uk as it's classed as a working dog feed. It's grain free too.
    If you order it through Amazon on the Subscribe & Save deal you get 20% off and it comes automatically each month until you cancel, which you can do at any time.
    The duck and rice is a bit cheaper. The Salmon works out at £26stg, so would suit your budget.
    My boys love it.:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive changed over to a food that our trainer recommends.

http://www.csjk9.com/

Highly recommended.27 euros for a 15kg bag.Lasts us about 5-6 weeks for the Newfie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

**Vai** wrote: »
    they get mince/meat and veg mixed in most days anyway.

Why not just up the mince and veg and drop the dry food altogether? You'd be surprised the bargains you pick up when you feed raw and how much you can stretch your money! Be warned though you'll become obsessed with picking up said bargains ...and be delighted with yourself when you get them lol!:pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

tk123 wrote: »

Why not just up the mince and veg and drop the dry food altogether? You'd be surprised the bargains you pick up when you feed raw and how much you can stretch your money! Be warned though you'll become obsessed with picking up said bargains ...and be delighted with yourself when you get them lol!:pac::P

I did try feeding raw but my terrier didnt have the stomach for it. Its all cooked meat ever since. I would need to read up on your suggestion but yeah, much appreciated.

Hellrazer wrote: »

Highly recommended.27 euros for a 15kg bag.Lasts us about 5-6 weeks for the Newfie.

Do you have an ingredients list for that food? Cant seem to find much info on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

We've been using gain feeds which works out at €37ish a bag. He didn't do so well on previous food but this one seems fine

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Do you have an ingredients list for that food? Cant seem to find much info on it.

Is it not on the link I posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

We've been using gain feeds which works out at €37ish a bag. He didn't do so well on previous food but this one seems fine

Petshop Superstore does the Gain food for 33 euro for 15kg which is cheaper even then Dogfooddirect.

I Like the ingredients list and my dogs are doing very well on it. They would be very active.

Is it not on the link I posted.

Couldnt see it but Ive been using my phone so I may have missed it. Ill check properly when im back on my pc, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

My mother used to feed our dogs 'liver and lights' cooked in the pressure cooker and mixed with porridge. Dogs went crazy for it. Cheap beef liver and 'lights' (lungs). No salt. Probably better than most dog foods. But cook it with the window open - it smells drastic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

A lot of people that work their dogs feed csj, and rave about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I know at least one excellent rescue in the UK that swears by it, too.

Where do you get it, Hellrazer?

Just in the local pet shop there and I was told Red Mills Winner is the one to go for by a member of staff. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just in the local pet shop there and I was told Red Mills Winner is the one to go for by a member of staff. Any thoughts?

Awful stuff, its the cheaper version of their food and i wouldnt feed it. Much better foods for just around the same price.

Yeah I thought as much, just said Id ask around. Amazing how its always the food they have in stock that is the best for your dog.

boomerang wrote: »
    I know at least one excellent rescue in the UK that swears by it, too.

Where do you get it, Hellrazer?

I buy it direct from Judith and Jeff at Dogwise.

Our Newfie is thriving on it.Shes 22kg at 16 weeks which is about spot on growth wise.

But I get Vai`s point.When we got her first a huge well know pet store recommended a food that was the "best for these dogs" apparently.Went and did some research and its their own brand that was recommended.

I dont want an own brand food.I wanted what was best for my puppy and CSJ came highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I buy my food here: http://www.happydoguk.com/
    I have 2 german shepherds (elvis 13 months and milly 4 yrs) and recently got a springer spaniel (5 months!) they really enjoy it and are all in great condition from it too! they do a deal if you buy 4 15kg bags at a time (any 4 from there selection!) its 100£ (sterling) so works out about 30 euro a bag and they deliver to the door usually within 2 days and delivery is free for orders over 20£

Think I've seen it for sale in Maxi Zoo too, Gregers? Must be cheaper to buy direct though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

boomerang wrote: »
    Think I've seen it for sale in Maxi Zoo too, Gregers? Must be cheaper to buy direct though.

Ya i've seen it in Maxi Zoo too! if you buy the bags individually online it works out about the same but if you buy 4 at a time they do a deal where you get the 4 bags for 100£ so you save about 80euro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 blurch

Which version of the csj are people using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Gains Retired Greyhound food - €14 for 15kg. I have a Boxer, a Yorkie and two Labradors who all swear by it!

If you're in Dublin you'll need to go to Ashbourne to get it.

The trouble with all the recommendations is that we don't know what the ingredients are.

I was delighted when i found Lidl dog food - very cheap, and indistinguishable from the expensive Eukanuba I'd been feeding my dog. It wasn't for a few weeks that people started commenting on how my dog had lost condition. I hastily put her back on the Eukanuba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

we use Mad About dog food, €14 for 15kg - 2 labs, lab/dobherman mix and collie love it, our lab and lab/dobherman mix are black and their coats are really shiny and black still. I was afraid I would see the difference in the coats when switching to the cheaper option but they are on it about 18 months now and still perfect looking.

The trouble with all the recommendations is that we don't know what the ingredients are.

I was delighted when i found Lidl dog food - very cheap, and indistinguishable from the expensive Eukanuba I'd been feeding my dog. It wasn't for a few weeks that people started commenting on how my dog had lost condition. I hastily put her back on the Eukanuba.

Most of the recommendations all have websites with the information on ingredients etc ;)

Sorry but you cannot compare Lidl to Eukanuba, Lidl is absolute rubbish with awful ingredients.
    Eukanuba is one of the top dry foods you can feed.

andreac wrote: »
    Most of the recommendations all have websites with the information on ingredients etc ;)

Sorry but you cannot compare Lidl to Eukanuba, Lidl is absolute rubbish with awful ingredients.

Why the "sorry"?

And can you direct me to these websites, please?

So is boards.ie's 'ignore' facility when people are unpleasant.

So is boards.ie's 'ignore' facility when people are unpleasant.

Eh how am i being unpleasant?? :confused: You asked for links and i gave them to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Anyone know if this is suitable for terrier mixes. I have two, one pudgy, one skinny. I wouldn't mind cooking up that recipe of liver/lights and porridge either if more suitable. Any suggestions welcome.

• Advertisement

Lots of people would disagree with you, andreac.

Advertisement