Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

getting a suit adjusted

• 02-02-2013 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

folks, i know this has been done before but am looking for some advice on adjusting an existing suit.

i bought a suit for 800 odd quid a few years ago and have never been quite happy with it, effectively its a crap fit and i didnt have the balls to tell the seller/tailor at the time of purchase.

what i would like to get done is the following:
    jacket:
    • shoulders adjusted in very slightly
    • jacket arms shortened.
    • jacket shortened overall by about 3 inches (is this even possible?)
    trousers :
    • the trousers are far too baggy and i would like them adjusted to make them more 'fitting'

i would be willing to spend a few bucks to make the suit right as i feel i have spent a lot on it, and i would like to feel good wearing it and feel comfortable in it.

so my question is, is it possible to have the above done to an existing suit?

and if so does anyone here have any recommendations on where to go to have this done properly?

thanks.

Will.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

It sounds like it is possible but I'm female so never needed a suit altered. Try to get a recommendation for a good tailor. I think it may all depend on how much it needs to be altered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Will23 wrote: »
    folks, i know this has been done before but am looking for some advice on adjusting an existing suit.

i bought a suit for 800 odd quid a few years ago and have never been quite happy with it, effectively its a crap fit and i didnt have the balls to tell the seller/tailor at the time of purchase.

what i would like to get done is the following:
    jacket:
    • shoulders adjusted in very slightly
    • jacket arms shortened.
    • jacket shortened overall by about 3 inches (is this even possible?)
    trousers :
    • the trousers are far too baggy and i would like them adjusted to make them more 'fitting'

i would be willing to spend a few bucks to make the suit right as i feel i have spent a lot on it, and i would like to feel good wearing it and feel comfortable in it.

so my question is, is it possible to have the above done to an existing suit?

and if so does anyone here have any recommendations on where to go to have this done properly?

thanks.

Will.

Shoulders possible if you're talking fractions of an inch (I've had this done).

Sleeves shortened is no problem.

Shortening the jacket isn't really possible. It will also throw off the proportions of the rest of the jacket.

Tapering the trousers from the knee down is fine. From the seat to the knees I think is possible but I don't know what is involved and never had it done on any of my trousers.

For recommendations, I'm on my mobile so don't know your location but in Dublin I've used both Des Byrne alterations on Grafton street and The Alteration Centre on I think Anne Street South.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭teddyboy

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Shoulders possible if you're talking fractions of an inch (I've had this done).

Sleeves shortened is no problem.

Shortening the jacket isn't really possible. It will also throw off the proportions of the rest of the jacket.

Tapering the trousers from the knee down is fine. From the seat to the knees I think is possible but I don't know what is involved and never had it done on any of my trousers.

For recommendations, I'm on my mobile so don't know your location but in Dublin I've used both Des Byrne alterations on Grafton street and The Alteration Centre on I think Anne Street South.

how much to get a suit altered ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

This is all totally possible. I know, because I have had it done. Bring it to a good tailor / alterations place and they should be able to do it.

teddyboy wrote: »
    how much to get a suit altered ??

How long is a piece of string! Depends on what you want done, bring it to them and say what you want altered (or ask their opinion) and get a quote.

Common alterations are sleeve shortening/lengthening and trousers shortening/lengthening.

I'd estimate about 15-25E for the former and 10-15 for the latter, you're definitely better off asking first however.

• Advertisement

Got it done...Legs take in and turned up

Suit jacket taken in a the back

arms were left and she could not shorten jacket

Got it done...Legs take in and turned up

Suit jacket taken in a the back

arms were left and she could not shorten jacket

Fair play, you've guaranteed you'll be better dressed than most men I see just by doing that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Probably just reiterating what other have already said...
    Will23 wrote: »
    • shoulders adjusted in very slightly Slightly is possible but its costly and it probably means the jacket is a poor fit overall. Shoulders are the most important thing to get right when buying a suit
    • jacket arms shortened. Very basic tailoring work, no hassle
    • jacket shortened overall by about 3 inches (is this even possible?) Its is possible but 3 inches seems like a lot, i could make the jacket look very much out of proportion
    trousers :
    • the trousers are far too baggy and i would like them adjusted to make them more 'fitting' That should be no hassle, i recently got suit pants that are 33 Regular fit, converted into 32 Slim fit

This is a good guide on buying suits:
    http://www.gq.com/how-to/fashion/200608/how-to-buy-a-suit-slideshow#slide=1

A good guide on tailoring a suit:
    http://artofmanliness.com/2010/02/26/the-art-of-manliness-suit-school-part-ii-the-alterations-every-man-needs/

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Fair play, you've guaranteed you'll be better dressed than most men I see just by doing that!

Got it down. Really happy with the outcome. And it only cost 32 euros. Jacket taken in. Pants taken in and hemmed.

I look really well as I'm over 6 feet. everyone should have it done no matter your size

I look really well as I'm over 6 feet. everyone should have it done no matter your size

Couldn't agree more!

• Advertisement
Advertisement