Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping a Jar of Pesto from going mouldy?

Options
  • 02-02-2013 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hi.... any good tips on the above. I only need a few spoonfuls for a Philly Cheese & Pesto paste that I use to stuff chicken breasts but it seems to go off very quickly once opened.

I keep it in the fridge once opened...

Can you get pesto in a 'squirty tube' ??? (Like Tomato Puree??/

Sikky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

pour some olive oil into the jar to cover contents. Store in fridge and pour off excess oil before using it again. You can do this with tomato puree too.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Thanks Yellow.... will be happy to try that! It does make sense somehow.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I agree about the olive oil tip. As far as I know you can get a squeezing bottle of pesto. Haven't seen it in the Supermarket but have seen it in some magazines recently. Keep an eye out at markets and supermarkets some sell pesto by the spoonful at the deli counter. Handly if you only need a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I have successfully frozen Pesto in the past. If you use an icecube tray, you can then defrost as much as you need

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

The brand Sacla do a squeezie pesto, I've seen it in Tesco, its about twice the price of the jar though. The nicest supermarket pesto I've found is the fresh one in the fridge in Aldi, really good and less than €2 i think, I'd get that one and use the Olive oil tip (or just stir it through some pasta for lunch delicious hot or cold).

http://www.sacla.co.uk/products/pesto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Mr. Muddle wrote: »
    The brand Sacla do a squeezie pesto, I've seen it in Tesco, its about twice the price of the jar though. The nicest supermarket pesto I've found is the fresh one in the fridge in Aldi, really good and less than €2 i think, I'd get that one and use the Olive oil tip (or just stir it through some pasta for lunch delicious hot or cold).

http://www.sacla.co.uk/products/pesto

I agree - the one in aldi is lovely. It keeps for a bit too :)

Advertisement