Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought an iPhone 4S for €50

• 02-02-2013 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Today I spotted a pay as you go iPhone 4S priced at €50 on the Vodafone website so I added it to my basket to see what would happen, and it worked! Friend of mine tried doing the same thing but it had been changed back to full price within moments of me telling him about it.

So obviously I attempted to purchase it. Got to the final payment screen, tried inputting my payment information but after trying to process the order it bounced back with a technical error.

However - My card was still charged but I did not receive a confirmation email. Now that the transaction has been completed and paid for - Where do I stand? Am I legally entitled to the device?

I don't want to ring them until I'm positive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

No your not
    Refund will be issued and nothing you can do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

blahblah06 wrote: »
    No your not
    Refund will be issued and nothing you can do

Damn :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Nota hope of getting it. Obviously an error

godtabh wrote: »
    Nota hope of getting it. Obviously an error

Yeah I spotted it and laughed.. then tried to buy it, thinking that it wouldn't let me.. Would have made my day :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭blade1

As I said in the other thread,
    Only when item is shipped,then this is deemed acceptance of your offer of €50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

If your card has been charged then invitation to treat, offer and acceptance has all occurred.

My understanding is that once acceptance has happened (ie: money accepted) then the retailer has to fulfil the transaction.

Could be wrong though but it's what I've always believed.

However having said that, expecting an iPhone 4s for €50 is a bit much :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

If your card has been charged then invitation to treat, offer and acceptance has all occurred.

My understanding is that once acceptance has happened (ie: money accepted) then the retailer has to fulfil the transaction.

Could be wrong though but it's what I've always believed.

Yes, you are.

Your not "entitled" to a €50 iphone. It was an error. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

However having said that, expecting an iPhone 4s for €50 is a bit much :)
    Sure thats probably what it costs Apple to make it, they need to make at least a few hundred % profit :D

Tinie wrote: »

Yes, you are.

Glad you pointed that out without reference

If you had received the phone, then they could not force you to send it back.

• Advertisement

Well I learn something new everyday. Good to know!

<quote:google>
    This is where the E-commerce Regulations can be used to the seller's advantage. It is possible to sell on-line and take payment by credit card without concluding the contract on-line. The solution is to provide that the customer is making an offer on the site and that the contract will be formed only if the customer's order is accepted – and that taking payment from the customer's credit card does not indicate cceptance.
    </quote>

Well I learn something new everyday. Good to know!

This is where the E-commerce Regulations can be used to the seller's advantage. It is possible to sell on-line and take payment by credit card without concluding the contract on-line. The solution is to provide that the customer is making an offer on the site and that the contract will be formed only if the customer's order is accepted – and that taking payment from the customer's credit card does not indicate cceptance.

Well, that solves that.

I got offered an iphone 4s pay as u go for €349 on O2 website.
    They sent me the phone and then demanded the phone back within 7 days of receiving it.
    3 times they demanded it back.
    I told them, If they show me proof that I am not the legal owner, I will send it back.
    Their final say on the matter was, we can't make u send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭redscan

Tinie wrote: »
    Yes, you are.

Just because one party make a mistake in the formation of a contract doesn't mean a contract is void. The reality is not as clear cut as you suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

redscan wrote: »
    Just because one party make a mistake in the formation of a contract doesn't mean a contract is void. The reality is not as clear cut as you suggest.

If you read the T&Cs you sign up to when attempting to buy the phone, you will see that the contract is not completed until the item is shipped. Clear. Cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭redscan

If you read the T&Cs you sign up to when attempting to buy the phone, you will see that the contract is not completed until the item is shipped. Clear. Cut.

Just had read of them there. You're right they do cover themselves.

To be honest I was just commenting on the fact that in general people think a mistake by one party means there's no contract. Not true at all. When Aer Lingus mistakenly offered €5 flights, they ended up honouring them. I know it was partly for publicity reasons but it was also because they couldn't definitely say the customers were in the wrong by relying on the price tag.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Jesus Christ, you're.

Also, didn't I see something about no legal advice around here somewhere? No one ever makes the point that suing to enforce the contract would be a waste of time. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement